Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2020 4:00:52 PM EDT
Being a father with young kids and going places with my family I noticed that constantly carry a backpack all the time. This won't take away my EDC pistol but wanting what everyone's thoughts on backpack gun. Should it be a PCC or AR folder? If so what is the best PCC to use? CZ scoprion, AR9, PSA AKV or a 556 AR Folder?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]

If you are serious about the need to carry a folding rifle in a backpack it should be capable of firing from a collapsed/folded position.

So that eliminates folding AR options

If you want a rifle caliber I would like at SIG MCX/rattler
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You could probably unfold it as you pull it out of the packpack if you really want an AR. I have an Mk18 with a Law Tactical Folder and it just barely fits in a standard backpack, so a 10.3" barrel may be the longest you want to go.

If you do want to have the ability to fire with the stock closed a PSA AK-V might be a great option. Mine doesn't have the folding stock, but just by comparing mine to pictures it seems as tho the folders would be even shorter than the Mk18.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont get me wrong. I love sig products and have some but I think they are over priced.  If they were in the $1200 range yeah, but I am only seeing them close to $2k. The  akv seems like a sold option with a folder brace. However the CZ Scorpion has been around a proven and easier to find. Can anyone speak of reliability between the 2?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
There are actually a few systems that allow folding of an AR-15 and still being able to shoot. Look at the deadfoot system for example.

If you need a rifle caliber, PSA is coming out with their new JAKL upper which doesn't need a buffer so you can have a true side folding stock on it. Depending on budget there is the SCAR, MPC, XCR, ACR(but Bushmaster is no more), etc

With 9mm, pick your favorite. The Kel-Tec sub-2000 is probably going to be the smallest folding option. But I don't know if I can honestly recommend that as I've never fired one enough. It can't fire closed.

The Stribog SP9(the A3 model will be here eventually which is delayed blowback) and CZ scorpion have proven themselves well and are true side folders which can fire from the folded position

The CMMG RDB system has gotten very popular and if offered in a ton of calibers, even 5.7x28.  But you run into the same problem of not easily foldable. Earlier 9mm offering did have ejector spring issues, but those have been claimed to be fixed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Not an AR, but this is my favorite
low profile bag carry.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This is probably what I'd be using.

I'd prefer a mp7, but that's not an option.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
BRN-180s with a folding stock

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Came to post this. I have a law folder on an AR pistol, SBS, had a keltec folder, and really tried everything. Flux brace Glock. Shoots well and fast, fits small, no drama to carry so you actually have it
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
How about an 8" ar in 300 blackout
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I've got that upper coming in the mail. How do you like it??
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Absolutely love it.
View Quote

That's good to hear. I couldn't think of anything else I needed or wanted off the top of my head then that popped up. So many freakin ARs but this one will be different lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's good to hear. I couldn't think of anything else I needed or wanted off the top of my head then that popped up. So many freakin ARs but this one will be different lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely love it.

I highly recommend the LAGE 5 degree drop folding mechanism. It drops stocks and braces out of the way of the ejection port so that the gun can fire if you go with a right side folder.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#14]
You can fire an AR w/Law folder once but then open it up and re-charge it.

Both my Maxim PDX and wife's A2 with 6.5" 300bo barrel and Law folder, will fit in a short backpack.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
BRN-180S or a M85 5.56 AK pistol either with folding brace or stock for rifle caliber
PSA AK-V, CZ Scorpion pistol or an MP5 with folding brace or stock for a PCC
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can fire an AR w/Law folder once but then open it up and re-charge it.

Both my Maxim PDX and wife's A2 with 6.5" 300bo barrel and Law folder, will fit in a short backpack.
View Quote

Can you? I’m certain that little detent on the law folder that holds the BCG and the little plug in isn’t rated to sustain that kind of pressure.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Can you? I’m certain that little detent on the law folder that holds the BCG and the little plug in isn’t rated to sustain that kind of pressure.

View Quote

I've seen a few videos where guys shoot that one shot with the stock folded. If you do it repeatedly it just chews up the rubber o-ring around the extension/plug.

https://youtu.be/P8Yqf-3Jy3c
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want a tiny package, you could always go with a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S2 Pistol Micro with Folding Brace.  Only about 14" long with stock folded.  Twenty rounds of 9mm in the magazine.  Only a little over 5 lbs.  That will comfortably fit in a backpack or computer bag.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Robinson xcr 7” 300 blk
Attachment Attached File

AR 300 blk. 9” barrel
Attachment Attached File

CZ scorpion w can
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
This fits in my diaper bag with 30rd in it....

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Apc9k
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've seen a few videos where guys shoot that one shot with the stock folded. If you do it repeatedly it just chews up the rubber o-ring around the extension/plug.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Not something I would make a steady habit of doing but would work, in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
M85 5.56 AK pistol
View Quote

Does anyone know if these are being imported again? I want one badly!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct. Not something I would make a steady habit of doing but would work, in a pinch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I won't ever be trying that on mine unless I absolutely had to.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I think i am going to go with the scoprion and SB folding brace. relatively inexpensive, aftermarket support is great, proven design and track record.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

You're a dick

Love your projects, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
8-9" 300blk with a LAW folder
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

M85NP [AR magazine] no, M85 with proprietary magazines, they're being imported now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
the problem with a LAW Folder is you end up with a 6 pound pain in the ass gun. If you put it in a backpack, it takes up the whole backpack. Whereas the glock fits in the small pocket, still leaving you room to actually use the bag as designed.

I carried mine (and my regular CCW plus an LCP) for 3k miles this summer. Was nice to have the increased firepower at night and on the road, but it didn't ruin actually using the bag it was in like my folding AR did on the previous trip.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep they’re still being imported
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Who makes that folder gun?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#33]

I have that same bag in red.  I love it.  MP5K clone in the bag and pistol on the shoulder strap in addition to my EDC on my belt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Make/model of bag please?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Sig MPX
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#36]
CZ micro kit.  Can be fired folded

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the problem with a LAW Folder is you end up with a 6 pound pain in the ass gun. If you put it in a backpack, it takes up the whole backpack. Whereas the glock fits in the small pocket, still leaving you room to actually use the bag as designed.

I carried mine (and my regular CCW plus an LCP) for 3k miles this summer. Was nice to have the increased firepower at night and on the road, but it didn't ruin actually using the bag it was in like my folding AR did on the previous trip.
View Quote

True, it is heavy (heavier), but a LAW folder on a 300blk it one of the few configurations that brings rifle level firepower to the table.   1.5 MOA, easily defeats level IIIA, can take a deer or hog.  

I probably depends on how much you feel like carrying.  Some of those 9mm that fire folded look damn nice as well.

ETA - I should say that it does HAVE to be a LAW folder...but the AR platform with a folder or whatever type of quality adjustable brace will be "heavier".
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#38]
How about a 300 bo with collapsible stock/brace like the new one from daniel defense
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I like a 10.5" AR with a Law Folder.  If I'm gonna lug it around I'm going to have a rifle caliber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#40]
i have decided on a mk18ish build with law folder and vltor A5 extension with the g42 system in it and SB Tactical AB4 adjustable brace. fixed FSP with larue 7in quad rail, surefire warecomp ctn
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you are serious about the need to carry a folding rifle in a backpack it should be capable of firing from a collapsed/folded position.

So that eliminates folding AR options

If you want a rifle caliber I would like at SIG MCX/rattler
View Quote

You can unfold it as it leaves the pack. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#42]
regardless of what firearm you pick, it needs to be as short as possible (13" shown here) to fit is an unobtrusive pack:

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#43]
300bkt, 16" long, with Law folder

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Light cheap and folds up real small. And its ugly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#45]
How about reviewing that for us?

Can a lefty use it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By feudist:
How about reviewing that for us?

Can a lefty use it?
View Quote

@feudist

Tons of talk, pics and info here. I love mine. And they make lefty versions
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Flux-Brace-in-the-wild-Anyone-/13-188804/
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Johnny_C:
Not an AR, but this is my favorite
low profile bag carry.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRUvMuVw23v8JozhplNiKv5fmEWUxNgLu59MVW-nE03AGCZkH-C&usqp=CAU
View Quote

I like that too, but a couple things need to be kept in mind during the set up as compared to a ready made AR pistol or PCC.

1) That set up absolutely needs a RDS to be effective. No one is putting any brace on a Glock and making good use of the irons. You’re too close.
2) Using a grip on the front rail of the pistol does make for some flexing issues that might effect accuracy.

That being said, I’ve seen a video of a properly braced Glock pistol hitting steel at 100 yards.

Me personally, If I’m still using my EDC and this is strictly a pack gun, I’d just throw my Ruger PC Carbine take down in the bag for full 9mm rifle capability. Or maybe even the new PC Charger if you want to save a few bucks over the scorpion.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#48]
bren 2 ms

but if anything if you pack a 5" glock you might as well just carry extra 33rd mags no need for wasted gun weight
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I commented on the Flex in the original thread a little bit ago.

Click To View Spoiler

I'll keep an eye on this....but if this is going to be a "bridge" between my carry 9mm, and my .300blk with a Law folder, it needs to be more than just a standard 9mm with more touch points.  
Let's face it, if you already have a 17 or 19 with a red dot, this isn't adding more firepower.  You would have the exact same amount of "additional" firepower if you simply another G19 with a red dot out of your bag.  
Now that 10mm with a 6" barrel is a step up in firepower.  Something like that is too big to daily CCW...and my benefit from being able to support it with 2 or 3 touch points and a red dot, especially when coupled with something like Underwood's 100gr Xtreme Defender, or maybe their Xtreme Penetrator.  Even more so in their 65gr Sig .357 round.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I commented on the Flex in the original thread a little bit ago. 

Click To View Spoiler

I'll keep an eye on this....but if this is going to be a "bridge" between my carry 9mm, and my .300blk with a Law folder, it needs to be more than just a standard 9mm with more touch points.  
Let's face it, if you already have a 17 or 19 with a red dot, this isn't adding more firepower.  You would have the exact same amount of "additional" firepower if you simply another G19 with a red dot out of your bag.   
Now that 10mm with a 6" barrel is a step up in firepower.  Something like that is too big to daily CCW...and my benefit from being able to support it with 2 or 3 touch points and a red dot, especially when coupled with something like Underwood's 100gr Xtreme Defender, or maybe their Xtreme Penetrator.  Even more so in their 65gr Sig .357 round.  

View Quote

That’s why in my response I thought the take down PC Carbine with 16” barrel would be the better PCC choice. Same caliber bullet, but at least you jump up into .357 mag velocities from the handgun. And it’s not all that hard to deploy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top