Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2020 6:25:17 PM EDT
OK, so I am new to the AR pistol game, but will shortly have a Daniel Defense MK18 pistol on order...very excited, ordering various accessories now...

Question on VFG's on them...I read the sticky on it at the top, and it seems to say VFG's are a no-go...

But looking at the picture thread, I see quite a few obviously pistols with VFG's...so is this now another grey area/tacit approval like shouldering a brace?

I have been collecting guns for a good 30 years, and have had all sorts of things, and nothing the ATF does or says makes any sense, obviously.

The brace thing...how does having a brace make an AR pistol "good to go", but swap it for a regular stock, and suddenly its an illegal, super extra deadly machine of death.

The entire ATF and 95% of the fed gov is functionally retarded....

But that doesn't answer the question as to whether I can put a Tango Down stubby on my pistol...

And fuck the BATFE....
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's the non-Law Tactical Folder version then you measure from the end of the buffer tube to the end of the muzzle with the flash hider removed. If it is the folding version (like mine is) you measure from the folding mechanism to the muzzle, sans flash hider. If you're over 26" you are good to put on a VFG. Obviously, with that being said, you are screwed if you have a folder because you'll never get remotely close to the 26" mark.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's the non-Law Tactical Folder version then you measure from the end of the buffer tube to the end of the muzzle with the flash hider removed. If it is the folding version (like mine is) you measure from the folding mechanism to the muzzle, sans flash hider. If you're over 26" you are good to put on a VFG. Obviously, with that being said, you are screwed if you have a folder because you'll never get remotely close to the 26" mark.
View Quote

Ah, ok, will do to double check when it comes in...removing the stock FH anyway to put on a Surefire 3 Prong (until Ican find a 4 prong...,)

It is a standard Mk18 Pistol with the non folding buffer tube and SBA3 brace...
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Angled Foregrips (AFG) are good to go on pistols.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Angled Foregrips (AFG) are good to go on pistols.
View Quote

Thanks, if it doesn't measure 26" total, I'll do a Magpul AFG....
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You are correct on the ATF and all the Government BS. The gun laws of the 30’s and 60’s are obsolete. Technology has found a way around all of them and it will only get worse. They should be stricken from books.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
You can also use an extended buffer tube, which ends up making the overall length long enough with a 10.#'' barrel. My 10.5'' uses an extended tube and is over 26'' OAL. If you prefer a front grip, this is an option.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can also use an extended buffer tube, which ends up making the overall length long enough with a 10.#'' barrel. My 10.5'' uses an extended tube and is over 26'' OAL. If you prefer a front grip, this is an option.
View Quote

Isn't there a limit on length of pull in order to be considered a pistol? I'm not totally clear on all of the rulings or opinion letters or whatever that have been put out by the ATF but it seems like I have read something to that effect, and it seems like a longer buffer tube would affect that, if it is a thing.
If not then I might have to look into that option myself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Isn't there a limit on length of pull in order to be considered a pistol? I'm not totally clear on all of the rulings or opinion letters or whatever that have been put out by the ATF but it seems like I have read something to that effect, and it seems like a longer buffer tube would affect that, if it is a thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LOP limit on an arm brace is 13.5". I'm not sure how long a standard length carbine or pistol tube puts LOP at, (don't have one handy to measure)  but it's a few inches short of 13.5".
A 10.5" barrel ends up being about 1" short of 26" OAL. The buffer tube on my 10.5" is probably 2-3 inches longer than a typical pistol tube but still less than 13.5" LOP. My tube has a hollow area at the rear which holds adjustable weights to balance out the overall gun from being front heavy. As an added benefit, it also makes my OAL over 26" without exceeding 13.5" LOP. There are several extended tubes available that help support an extended shoulder stock or arm brace.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top