Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2014 9:31:08 PM EDT
I don't post a LOT on here but read a TON and became very interested in AR pistols through a variety of means. So, I bought an upper for a future 80% lower (it will be my 3rd successful lower).

Knowing that I will be using it "just for fun" and not a PDW, I figured, "The cheaper the better." At least to start off with.

I reviewed many products on the internet as well as this site and came to the conclusion that I would give Red X Arms a chance; even with their bi-polar reviews.

Well, SO FAR, I have absolutely ZERO complaints. But to back it up for a minute, I should mention that the first item I purchased from them was a Sabre Defense upper that they must have acquired during Sabre's liquidation. I ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Living in MN (where they are based) I wasn't shocked but it was a "thumbs up" for them in terms of getting items out the door quickly. So, business process gold star.

I used the upper for a beater project (bump fire) and have not been disappointed even though they do not get credit for the product.

BUT! Back to the pistol upper. I purchased the 7.5" RXA15 upper and am VERY IMPRESSED!!! Giving a review without putting "rounds down range" can be a slippery slope but you know quality when you see it. And I, personally, see quality in this upper. And for the price (which must always be considered) I have no complaints whatsoever.

What do I know about this sort of thing? Well not as much as a LOT of other people out there, admittedly, but I gave my 6 years to the military, have a store bought Windham, have built 2 ARs from 80% lowers, etc etc.

I will attach a few pics that you can check out for yourself and a video I made - I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO affiliation with Red X Arms. Just thought I'd pass along my experience. Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like to see more pictures.

I will update the build as time goes on and give range reports (hate to put the cart in front of the horse, obviously).

My youtube video review: Red X Arms Upper Review

Pictures:

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, do you know if they pin or dimple the barrel for the gas block.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pulled it out of the safe and it's a clamp-on style block. If it loosens, I'll let you know!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pulled it out of the safe and it's a clamp-on style block. If it loosens, I'll let you know!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's probably good to go. I'm just anal about that for some reason. Plenty of clamp ones out there doing there job. I'm looking for an 8.5" 5.56 upper but they don't have one . Karrisguns has an 8.25" I may have to go with that. I like that rail that is on the RedX, It's a fine looking upper.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Might consider a linear comp or flash diverter once you've experienced the birdcage that is on it now.  

Congrats on the 80% lower. You should show it off with some pics. I've done a few myself and they are a lot of work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's probably good to go. I'm just anal about that for some reason. Plenty of clamp ones out there doing there job. I'm looking for an 8.5" 5.56 upper but they don't have one . Karrisguns has an 8.25" I may have to go with that. I like that rail that is on the RedX, It's a fine looking upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Might consider a linear comp or flash diverter once you've experienced the birdcage that is on it now.  

Congrats on the 80% lower. You should show it off with some pics. I've done a few myself and they are a lot of work.
View Quote

Most definitely. :)

I'm going to capture some flame throwing on video and then probably buy one of those cheap Levangs (sp?) or whatever as I save up for a KX3 or the new smaller one.

I got lucky at a gun show yesterday so I started a "build thread" here: Red X Build

The 80% won't be too bad. I talk a lot about it in my bump fire build videos on Youtube: Bump Fire Video
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quick update on the whole parts acquisition for the build; what are your thoughts?

After a decent amount of research, I wanted to start the build right. Was thinking H3 but seems like H2 will work so rolled with that. I doubt I'm going overkill starting this way since it's cheap to do so.

Couple pics:

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Just have the trigger group and selector holes to go. That's easy.

Here are some pics:

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking forward to a range report.  I have the same upper.  I gave  couple of 80%'ers as Christmas presents.  Bow do you like that lower?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking forward to a range report.  I have the same upper.  I gave  couple of 80%'ers as Christmas presents.  Bow do you like that lower?
View Quote

I like the lower just fine! :)

It's a billet lower that I got at a gun show a couple weeks or so ago for 50 bucks. I had only purchased forged lowers in the past so it was nice to have something different. I had never heard of "Upstate Tactical" before but it mates up perfectly.

I should mention, however, I never understood the "hub-bub" about lowers. I've bought the cheapest 80%ers I could find and they are all 100% perfect for the job. No point in spending more on a popular brand IMHO unless you need an extra graphic on the side like a spider or the Punisher or something.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a few more parts from PSA today:

A couple days after I ordered the LPK and whatnot, I decided on the Nickel Boron BCG from PSA as well; that should be here next week. Went with NiBo just for something fun and different for myself.

I love that this is an AR pistol, I could put the receiver extension in my shoulder, my belly button, on my chest, behind my knee, what have you.... It is still, BY LAW, a pistol - no illegal way to fire a pistol.

Therefore, a Sig brace or Shockwave brace will almost definitely be added.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#12]
GTG OP. Thats a sharp pistol. I'm not outfitted to do an 80% lower yet. But I'm working on it. I'm in the middle of a pistol build. Using a stripped "Korstog" Adams Arms lower. I have all of my parts accept my upper half. Any thoughts on Red X Arms handguards? They have a pistol length FF Quad rail for CHEAP! 1\9 cost of a DD. White Oak Armament is sending out my 7.5" barrel with headspaced bolt next Friday. I've got a cheaper Troy Medieval muzzle device until I can spring for a KX3. I was going to go for almost complete coverage and get a DD Mk18 RIS II or the Lite Rail II. Not sure yet. Whichever would work best. With the flaming pig I'd be outside the handguard. But the DD is a fortune compared to Red X. How stout is their handguard? I know its not a target rifle but I like things to be solid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on Red X Arms handguards?

How stout is their handguard? I know its not a target rifle but I like things to be solid.
View Quote

It's real solid, mang. No play, no give, no flex.

Really happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really happy with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any thoughts on Red X Arms handguards?

How stout is their handguard? I know its not a target rifle but I like things to be solid.

Really happy with it.

That's great. I think I'm going to give their handguard a try. Save some money in the process so I can get the KX3. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I made some progress today and was going to grab a bunch of pics and whatnot but I had to do it with my hand drill so it was a total PITA.

So, you get before and after pics!!

When I get the PSA nickel-boron bolt on Monday/Tuesday, I will post up a few pics and then hopefully videos after that.

Few pics:

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Okay well I finished up the build and am really happy with it!

I made a short 2 minute video going over the build:

Build Review Video

And of course with a pistol, you need the flame throwing videos.

There's night fire, SUPER Slo Mo, and with the gun cam.

Flame Throwing Videos

Let me know what you think! Good, bad, or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Your selector shouldn't move like that in the lower on the build review video. Double check the spring and détent. Great looking pistol!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Good looking pistol!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your selector shouldn't move like that in the lower on the build review video. Double check the spring and détent. Great looking pistol!
View Quote

Yeah the selector is a little floppy in there for some reason. It functions like it should just seems a little wobbly.

Maybe I have some debris in the hole and the detent isn't fully seated...??

Glad you like the pistol, though!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah the selector is a little floppy in there for some reason. It functions like it should just seems a little wobbly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick the detent in the hole with the selector removed, see how far it protrudes. I've had one I had to drill deeper. That hole (IIRC) starts out big, then necks down, so I had to drill the bigger part deeper because it captivated the detent to much... if that makes sense?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stick the detent in the hole with the selector removed, see how far it protrudes. I've had one I had to drill deeper. That hole (IIRC) starts out big, then necks down, so I had to drill the bigger part deeper because it captivated the detent to much... if that makes sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I see what you're saying. I'll take a look this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I forgot that I wanted to include a couple pictures of the PSA nickel boron bolt.

I can take better pics if needed with the DSLR if you want to see better details - these were taken with my cell phone.

[P.S. I had already fired the weapon with the bolt and just gave it a quick wipe down before I took the pics.]

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top