Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 4:41:27 PM EDT
Just yesterday, I posted a video review of the Red X Arms 7.5" upper that I got. You can see it here: Red X Arms Video Review

This is the original thread: AR Pistol Forum

=====

So, I'm not trying to be a post-whore but I got a great deal today. My dad and I went to the gun show at the St. Paul River Center today and I was able to pick-up an 80% lower for only $50!

Seeing as how my dad gave me $40 for gas money, I really got it for only 10 bucks! Yay me.

Best of all, and I didn't realize till I got home it's a billet lower. The other two 80% lowers I did (M4 clone and a bump-fire beater rifle) were both forged so it's nice to have something different for the pistol build. It's an "Upstate Tactical" lower; I had never heard of them.

Here are a few pics of the upper and lower. I'll update the thread as the build moves forward.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm hoping to get a deal on the LPK and BCG as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quick update on the whole parts acquisition for the build; what are your thoughts?

After a decent amount of research, I wanted to start the build right. Was thinking H3 but seems like H2 will work so rolled with that.

Couple pics:

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Just have the trigger group and selector holes to go. That's easy.

Here are some pics:

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That almost looks like a cast lower, rather than billet. Can you take a good in focus pic of inside of the trigger guard? It appears to have a parting line on the trigger guard part.
Edit: I want your little gorilla dude character, lol.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you think of my milling job? Here are some pics:
View Quote

Looks decent, but next time, remember to stay off the final dimensions by .005-.010 until the pocket is hogged out, then come around for a final, high RPM pass at full depth to the exact specs.  If you're using cutters supplied with a jig, they probably don't have the DOC to make that happen, so spend $15 on feabay for a 7/16 4 flute HSS cutter with a DOC of at least 1-1/4.  Then your pockets will come out like this:

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure it's billet based on feel and research (not that it matters to me anyway). :)

But since you like the King Kong guy, I just snapped up a few pics!  Let me know what you think because I'm curious a anyway.....

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks decent, but next time, remember to stay off the final dimensions by .005-.010 until the pocket is hogged out, then come around for a final, high RPM pass at full depth to the exact specs.  If you're using cutters supplied with a jig, they probably don't have the DOC to make that happen, so spend $15 on feabay for a 7/16 4 flute HSS cutter with a DOC of at least 1-1/4.  Then your pockets will come out like this:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1270_zps361d6187.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here are some pics:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1270_zps361d6187.jpg

Thanks for the input! I'm always trying to improve. When they fit though, they fit. Not too terribly worried about a perfect looking finish if it works. Yours DOES look great though!

I had to make my "finishing" passes with a dremel on my first 80% and that's on my "Bump Fire" beater and works great.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
It may have been shadow tricks making it appear to have parting lines. But- In looking at it, I still am of the opinion it is a casting. It really makes no difference tho. Use it and enjoy. The milling job looks quite acceptable, but it also does make for a nice finish if you can do a full depth final cut. That is what I aim for when doing these as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It may have been shadow tricks making it appear to have parting lines. But- In looking at it, I still am of the opinion it is a casting. It really makes no difference tho. Use it and enjoy. The milling job looks quite acceptable, but it also does make for a nice finish if you can do a full depth final cut. That is what I aim for when doing these as well.
View Quote

I agree: milled, forged, cast; makes NO difference on a range toy (entirely because I have no idea in the pros/cons of any of them) - and it will be enjoyed!

As far as the finish job on the inside of a lower no one will ever see, that can never be sold, I just can't afford the time. But the nice ones DO look nice.

I always appreciate the time, pointers, advice, and comments, though so don't get me wrong. :)

P.S. This is I why I assumed billet (guy I bought it from had NO idea what he was doing): Didn't care at the time 80% lower for cash
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
that can never be sold
View Quote

Some kind of quirky state law?  Because there is no federal prohibition on selling home builds; they are treated the same as any other title I firearm WRT private party transaction.  You just can't be engaged in the business of manufacturing and/or selling firearms without the appropriate FFL.

This is I why I assumed billet
View Quote

Yeah, according to the website:

Billet 6061 Aluminum
View Quote

No idea the temper, though.  

For future reference, Ares sells their raw finish 7075-T6 billet lowers for only $70.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/billet-ar15-80percent
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some kind of quirky state law?  Because there is no federal prohibition on selling home builds; they are treated the same as any other title I firearm WRT private party transaction.  You just can't be engaged in the business of manufacturing and/or selling firearms without the appropriate FFL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
that can never be sold

This is I why I assumed billet

Billet 6061 Aluminum

LOVE the insight on the "selling" portion!!! Thanks, gives me insight.

I bought the lower at a gun show for $50.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
What do you think of my milling job? Here are some pics:

The milling of your FCP came out excellent, that is a primo job right there...good luck with it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Where is the trigger slot?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I posted this earlier:

Quoted:
Just have the trigger group and selector holes to go. That's easy.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a few more parts from PSA today:

A couple days after I ordered the LPK and whatnot, I decided on the Nickel Boron BCG from PSA as well; that should be here next week. Went with NiBo just for something fun and different for myself.

I love that this is an AR pistol, I could put the receiver extension in my shoulder, my belly button, on my chest, behind my knee, what have you.... It is still, BY LAW, a pistol - no illegal way to fire a pistol.

Therefore, a Sig brace or Shockwave brace will almost definitely be added.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/jonnybmk/RedXArms/Assembly1_zps264382dd.jpg

A couple days after I ordered the LPK and whatnot, I decided on the Nickel Boron BCG from PSA as well; that should be here next week. Went with NiBo just for something fun and different for myself.

I love that this is an AR pistol, I could put the receiver extension in my shoulder, my belly button, on my chest, behind my knee, what have you.... It is still, BY LAW, a pistol - no illegal way to fire a pistol.

View Quote

As per the latest BATF ruling it's now ILLEGAL to shoulder a Sig brace
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/jonnybmk/RedXArms/Assembly1_zps264382dd.jpg

No laws have been changed or amended. What could I be charged with?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No laws have been changed or amended. What could I be charged with?
View Quote

Kinda silly to walk this road, but if it somehow came down to it, you'd be charged with possessing an unregistered SBR.

ATF is an executive agency charged with interpreting and administering the law.  If they say shouldering a pistol with a SIG brace on it (instead of using it as designed to strap it to your forearm) constitutes an SBR, then their word is law unless brought before a court and overturned by a judge.

You might beat the rap, you might not, but you certainly wouldn't beat the ride.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#19]
As stated above, not to mention do you have an extra $20,000.00 laying around to hire an attorney to defend you in Federal Court?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't understand why some people want to color outside the lines. Use it for its intended purpose stay out of "pound you in the a $$ prison"

Seems simple. Then again I'm a simple minded power plant mechanic
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't understand why some people want to color outside the lines. Use it for its intended purpose stay out of "pound you in the a $$ prison"

Seems simple. Then again I'm a simple minded power plant mechanic
View Quote

I can't attest to that but I will be using it for its intended purpose; and that's a pistol.

I also intend to stabilize it on my forearm with one of the available braces. Staying WELL within the lines.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I made some progress today and was going to grab a bunch of pics and whatnot but I had to do it with my hand drill so it was a total PITA.

So, you get before and after pics!!

When I get the PSA nickel-boron bolt on Monday/Tuesday, I will post up a few pics and then hopefully videos after that.

Few pics:

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Okay well I finished up the build and am really happy with it!

I made a short 2 minute video going over the build:

Build Review Video

And of course with a pistol, you need the flame throwing videos.

There's night fire, SUPER Slo Mo, and with the gun cam.

Flame Throwing Videos

Let me know what you think! Good, bad, or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#24]
You did an excellent job on it. It looks like your finish work on the 80% lower was professionally done. Very nice. I have never owned an AR pistol. I've never felt the need for one it seems to be a little much using the 5.56MM round in a pistol.  I did notice in your videos that you take the pistol and shoulder it, which is exactly why I have never had a pistol AR. Using one with a butt stock is fine with me. I've always felt if  I needed a 10" pistol, I could get something that fits my hand, but I like pistols and revolvers about the size of a Glock. Anyway, great job on the 80% the photos and the videos. -W
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good man!!! I'm diggin King Kong... may be my favorite part of the photos (not to take away from the beaut of a rifle).
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You did an excellent job on it. It looks like your finish work on the 80% lower was professionally done. Very nice. I have never owned an AR pistol. I've never felt the need for one it seems to be a little much using the 5.56MM round in a pistol.  I did notice in your videos that you take the pistol and shoulder it, which is exactly why I have never had a pistol AR. Using one with a butt stock is fine with me. I've always felt if  I needed a 10" pistol, I could get something that fits my hand, but I like pistols and revolvers about the size of a Glock. Anyway, great job on the 80% the photos and the videos. -W
View Quote

Wow, man, thanks for all those compliments! Appreciate it.

The main benefit of the pistol, for myself, is the legal classification. Since I have my carry permit (in Minnesota it's just a carry permit, open or concealed) I can just throw this thing in the truck and not have any issues.

The videos (most of them on my channel) are taken at my dad's farm so it makes transport just a bit easier.

As far as shouldering, I didn't even really realize I was doing it or even think about. I'll have to see if it performs better/worse/same on my cheek.

Anyway, thanks again for the props.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks good man!!! I'm diggin King Kong... may be my favorite part of the photos (not to take away from the beaut of a rifle).
View Quote

LOL everyone loves that King Kong guy!

I love putting little characters in my pics or videos.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#28]
clean build!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#29]
nice job, pics, and vids...yeah I like the gorilla too...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
If you aren't installing the sig brace with the intent to use it for shouldering, you're not breaking the law.

The ATF letter everyone likes to chicken little like a motherfucker around here, was replying to someone who asked if it was legal to put the brace on for the purpose of using it to shoulder a firearm.  As soon as he expressed that intent to build a firearm shot from the shoulder, that illustrated intent to build a rifle.  Thus, he'd be violating the law if he didn't pay his $200 tax.

People read way too much into the letter and assumed it meant everyone who had the brace.  Typical Arfcom jump to conclusions mat action.  

Looks like a nice build.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you aren't installing the sig brace with the intent to use it for shouldering, you're not breaking the law.

The ATF letter everyone likes to chicken little like a motherfucker around here, was replying to someone who asked if it was legal to put the brace on for the purpose of using it to shoulder a firearm.  As soon as he expressed that intent to build a firearm shot from the shoulder, that illustrated intent to build a rifle.  Thus, he'd be violating the law if he didn't pay his $200 tax.

People read way too much into the letter and assumed it meant everyone who had the brace.  Typical Arfcom jump to conclusions mat action.  

Looks like a nice build.
View Quote

Word up! I would NEVER intend to buy a brace with the intention of shouldering it.

Shockwave Technologies had piqued my interest lately in the best way for me to intentionally brace my pistol which I intend to use as a pistol and if I get a brace it will be intentionally used to brace my pistol.

My intentions are clear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I forgot that I wanted to include a couple pictures of the PSA nickel boron bolt.

I can take better pics if needed with the DSLR if you want to see better details - these were taken with my cell phone.

[P.S. I had already fired the weapon with the bolt and just gave it a quick wipe down before I took the pics.]

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry if this is OT, but for those of y'all milling 80%s, is everyone using jigs, or where are people finding CAD designs to work with? I have an 80% an have access to a CNC at work, and would prefer Not to use a jig when a computer can do it better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is OT, but for those of y'all milling 80%s, is everyone using jigs, or where are people finding CAD designs to work with? I have an 80% an have access to a CNC at work, and would prefer Not to use a jig when a computer can do it better.
View Quote

I use a jig.

Schematics are available online for lowers so if you just draw your tool path in MasterCAM or whatever program you use, shouldn't be too bad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
where are people finding CAD designs to work with?
View Quote

I'm sure they're out there, but I've never run across one.  Schematics are everywhere, though.

Having said that, you could finish one on a manual mill with DROs in less time than it it would take to CAD/CAM it.  Takes me about 20-25 minutes on my Lagun FTV-2.

You also need to make sure you don't create trouble for whoever actually owns the CNC you intend to use; ATF handed down a new edict on the 2nd, and though it's fairly ambiguous, it pretty much makes it unlawful for whoever owns the machine to let you use it for the purpose of manufacturing a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Pistol Build Update.

Got the Shockwave Pistol Stabilizer.

Video Review: Shockwave Blade Review

[I also posted the review in the AR Pistol forum. That's for the pistol owners looking for a review of the brace; this thread is still being used for the build progress.]

Still need an optic, BUIS, and single-point sling.

Here's some pics:

*DISCLAIMER* I did not purchase the brace with the intention of shouldering the weapon once the brace was installed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top