User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By hard:
Ah... 10 1/4" barrel, 11 1/2", not so balisticly inferior if these are used.

I never stated anything to contrary. I looked into the ballistics of those bbl. lengths and they are acceptable within their limits, but, for me, those lengths of bbl are kind of big for a pistol, at least IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
Balistics are bad....yes, but I don't shoot people with any of my guns. I have certain guns that I hunt with, but they are all together different. If I had to have a practical reason....must or all of my guns wouldn't be in my possession.....mostly coolness factor for me.

Added...I like to be different

I don't disagree with anything you've said and the coolness factor is one reason I would want one. I don't shoot people with my guns either, but if heaven forbid I ever had to, I want them to terminate the hostilities immediately. That's why the practical side of me is stopping the "coolness factor" side of me from getting one :) However, it's a great AWB sunset gift to myself. :) Pre-ban AR pistols were far and way the most expensive pre-bans out there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Bushy
www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421554744/0.jpg

Awsome!

How much does that weigh?

Any plans to attach a FH?

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Balistics are bad....yes, but I don't shoot people with any of my guns. I have certain guns that I hunt with, but they are all together different. If I had to have a practical reason....must or all of my guns wouldn't be in my possession.....mostly coolness factor for me.

Added...I like to be differenthr

I don't disagree with anything you've said and the coolness factor is one reason I would want one. I don't shoot people with my guns either, but if heaven forbid I ever had to, I want them to terminate the hostilities immediately. That's why the practical side of me is stopping the "coolness factor" side of me from getting one :) However, it's a great AWB sunset gift to myself. :) Pre-ban AR pistols were far and way the most expensive pre-bans out there.

If I'm not mistaken, the AR pistol is basically a giant expensive clunky handgun that shoots 223.

What exactly is so appealing about them?  I would rank them right up there with those semi-auto UZI pistols everyone had back in the 1980's.

I think I'm going to be an asshole at this point (happens often) and call the AR pistol "dorky" .

Having said that, I would say that the gun does get bonus points for irritating everyone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#5]

Awsome!

How much does that weigh?

Any plans to attach a FH?

-Jason

Thanks......I'm not sure of weight. The original pistol weighs 46 oz....I removed a few ounces, but added a few also....I would guess around 52 oz...hey, that's really not too heavy and clunky at all!

I threaded the barrel and it has a Levang comp on it now.....I chose this because you need something to hold the hand guard cap....this break worked well. I could modify a CAR style FH and add that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By red65:

Added...I like to be different

If I'm not mistaken, the AR pistol is basically a giant expensive clunky handgun that shoots 223.

What exactly is so appealing about them?  I would rank them right up there with those semi-auto UZI pistols everyone had back in the 1980's.

I think I'm going to be an asshole at this point (happens often) and call the AR pistol "dorky" .

Having said that, I would say that the gun does get bonus points for irritating everyone.

Let's try to keep things civil here and not insult anyone's choice of firearms. I like the way these things looks and concept behind them. I'm just looking for a nudge over the line to convince me to get one.

Besides, a semi-auto UZI is whole different bird compared to an AR pistol. 9mm doesn't suffer from a short bbl like 5.56 does. Besides, a handgun that shoots .223/5.56 sounds like a great idea on paper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess some of us like "Dorky"......

I will admit that they aren't for everyone. To me it's just a "Fun gun" also...a conversation piece, something different at the range, etc.....besides it was fun to figure a way to get handguards on it...the bushy one wasn't set up to have them....due to the ban of'course.

If we all had the same interests, it would be a very boring world.

The AR15 pistol is definetly something that you either love or hate...for those of you that hate it "cough" red65 "cough"....move along, nothing to see here....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edpmedic] [#8]
Well I will say my OA-98 is very accurate out to 100 yds or more. I shoot it wuth a EOTEC 552 on top. I don't like the ones with the buffer tube but the OA 98 is sweet.
Gun Test just did a Test on the Bushy and the OA. The OA came out ahead and they gave Bushy a Don't Buy if I remember.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
So who's gonna make an AR pistol in 50 beowulf or .458 SOCOM now?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Good thing I let my subscription to Gun tests run out:)

My bushy functions perfectly....I love it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By az-ar:
So who's gonna make an AR pistol in 50 beowulf or .458 SOCOM now?

lol... well, I guess I should take a "close up" of my Lower Markings...

-Jason

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I looked again.....it say's .458 SOCOM...funny!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep posting the pics gents, you're making me want one more and more, ballistics be damned!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a sweet looking Bushmaster Carbon series!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Keep posting the pics gents, you're making me want one more and more, ballistics be damned!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#16]
I uploaded another one..........and my SBR too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice to see you have a Docter Optik on there. If I get an AR pistol, I will be moving mine over to it from my HK-94 or maybe I'll just get another one
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunetly not Dr. Optics...they are Tasco Optimas.....none the less, I really like them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I like them, may have to do a build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
my other one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
sorry bout the size..  forgot it was that big.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Noner:

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_5.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_6.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_7.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_8.jpg

So is that really in 458?  Sweet...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By az-ar:

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_5.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_6.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_7.jpg

www.jasoncook.us/personal/Arfcom/Pistol_8.jpg

So is that really in 458?  Sweet...

lol.. no no.. just a future hope.

I've seen the monster... and I've also seen the prices..

looks like I'll have to wait untill I win the lotto before making this one a .458 Socom.

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I see a bunch of flat top uppers here...what are you guys planning on putting on top of those suckers...I'm just wondering...I was planning on an A3 Carry handle...and or an ARMS 40 with an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I see a bunch of flat top uppers here...what are you guys planning on putting on top of those suckers...I'm just wondering...I was planning on an A3 Carry handle...and or an ARMS 40 with an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#26]
As far as practicality, there is at least one benefit of the pistol configuration.  In most states it is not legal to carry a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle due to hunting laws.  Generally, if you have a concealed carry permit you are good to go, but only with a handgun.  Therefore, an AR pistol makes a great "car gun".  
The drawback, however, is the feeble ballistics from the short barrel.
But Noner might be onto something with the 458...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've always liked "Dorky" stuff, the problem is I almost never think stuff is dorky. OK, that Glock shinga-ma-jig mounted to the MP5 amy be considered Dorkey, but I favor the word "Lame" to Dorky in that case.

The AR pistols are KEWL. Don't think I will ever be able to own one, but they are SUPER COOL regardless. Ballistics? I'd imagine they'd be pretty good in a CQB House scenerio and if ever you'd have to shoot from a car....can you imagine the cuncussion in a car though? YEEEEHAAAA!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a chance to shoot a 6.5 inch AR once. I could not tell if it was meant to be a flame thrower or a rifle. Or a concussion grenade. But damn was it fun!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
if yer that worried about a 5.56 pistol's ballistics use some type of hollow point or frangeable round....after seeing all these pics I really wanna build one!! Specially since I know a guy with a registered lightning link....Ohh I can think of the mayhem now!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I keep toying with the idea of putting together a pistol lower and dropping an LMT 10.5" 1/7 upper on it and shooting 75 gr TAP out of it if I ever take it anywhere but the range.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone make a 9mm pistol upper? That should solve the velocity issues.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By az-gunner:

I'm tossing around the idea of trying to find one.... been thinking about that for awile..

9mm pistol with a 32rnd mag hanging out the bottom.... hmmmmmmmm......

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got one too.

I'm looking for an IWB holster for it to make it my carry gun

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaliburz] [#35]

Originally Posted By az-gunner:

I'm tossing around the idea of trying to find one.... been thinking about that for awile..

9mm pistol with a 32rnd mag hanging out the bottom.... hmmmmmmmm......

-Jason

And so have I.  Unfortunatley, the way the "pistol" buffer works, it is not compatible w/ the 9mm bolt unit.  The back of the bolt/carrier unit has the "weight" installed in to it.  ON the 223 carrier, the pistol "buffer" goes into the back of the bolt.

In order for a "pistol AR" to have the versitility that the owner wants (I think we can all agree to that), one will have to 1) use a modified CAR type buffer 2) make a new tube that is similar to the OEM pistol type buffer tube, but longer to accept a standard buffer (if I recall, someone said in a post in this thread or another, that they built one...a tube w/the same length as a CAR tube, but like the pistol, threaded on both ends.)

I'll have to do some measuring to see how the specs are on the pistol buffer tube.... to see if it is simlar to and tubing at the local steel yard. Not hard to get a XX length of tubing and have a shop thread both ends.....  IIRC, Brownells sells a tap and die for the buffer tube.....

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#36]
you mean like the carbon-15 buffer tube frankly i want a 7.62x39 pitol then i could use it for deer hunting
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Z1500:
I've got one too.
www.onfinite.com/libraries/60959/3c2.jpg
I'm looking for an IWB holster for it to make it my carry gun

Kevin

That is BADASS.

is that a Oly Arms handgaurd?

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, Oly FIRSH hand guard. They make a short one just for pistols. I'm going to put a light on it and if maybe a vertical grip if that's decided to not be an AOW. I tried to shoot it today with little luck. Seems it's going to take some work to make it reliable.

see problem here-
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=202278

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By nixer:
you mean like the carbon-15 buffer tube frankly i want a 7.62x39 pitol then i could use it for deer hunting

I *thought* I ordered a 7.62x39 upper from Model 1, but a 223 came instead.....   I didn't make an issue of it since it was about a month before the ban to end... and I wanted to have my parts ready.  I guess a 7.62x39 upper will be later down the road.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#40]
So now I'm getting really hot for one of these. This thread has me pretty convinced I should get one.

Now the question boils down to bbl length. I've already raise the velocity question so I know what I'm getting there. I'm thinking about either a 7.5" or 10.25".

The difference in velocity between the two (with XM193) is neglible thought, under the right conditions, the 10.25" might fragment a round within a short distance (15m?). I'm basing this upon the data from Bushmaster's site which list MV with Win 55gr from a 10" bbl to be around 2700 FPS and, as we know, between 2500 and 2700 FPS, the round may or may not fragment. Also, with a 10" bbl, you'll get a little less thunder when compared to a 7.5" bbl. In either case, I would put a Vortex on an AR pistol unless I need a handheld flamethrower (hmmmm...nah, don't need one).

Now, considering this thing is supposed to be a pistol, a 10.25" bbl is pretty big for a pistol IMHO but, that extra weight would help with recoil a wee bit.

Conversely, a 7.5" bbl makes the pistol more compact. I mean, come on, it's a pistol, right?

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this so post away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#41]
How much do you guys have in these pistols?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#42]

...maybe a vertical grip if that's decided to not be an AOW.Kevin

The vertical foregrip makes it an AOW, no question about that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By yosuthnmasa:

lol... well I'm sure that more than one ArfCom member has 3K invested in a pre-ban...

but me and most of these people on this thread probably have less than 650-700 invested.

if you get an upper used, you can probably build one for less than 450-500...

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

Not according to one Court rulling. I think it's still very much up in the air.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]

I'd like to see the court ruling...

Ive been trying to figure out laws now for the last year... and AFAIK...

No forward grips on pistols or you have a AOW.

if the lower is configured as a Rifle, and in LEGAL 16 inch config, then sure, you can have a forward grip...

but if its a pistol.. then NO.

nope. no forward grip without AOW status.

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]

You want to be the test case Z1500?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:19:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Z1500] [#48]
Read-
www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semiforum.cgi?read=47845

A few years ago I would have been willing to be the test case on this. But I'm married with a new baby little girl now. If one of you guys want to be the test case I'll bake you a cake with a file in it:)

I shoot it like a sub gun with one hand forward. Mine is not very heavy and you could shoot it like a normal pistol only using the rear grip.

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaliburz] [#49]

Originally Posted By yosuthnmasa:

lol... well I'm sure that more than one ArfCom member has 3K invested in a pre-ban...

but me and most of these people on this thread probably have less than 650-700 invested.

if you get an upper used, you can probably build one for less than 450-500...

-Jason

Lets see....

Lower: about $ 90.00
Parts kit: about $565.00
Knowing I'm pissing of a Dems, Libs & Ant-gunners- and they can't do a damned thing about it:  PRICELESS

Total-$655.00 range.... all new parts, shipped.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I told my buddy that I wanted a beowulf pistol just to piss the liberals off. Hes mostly a shotgun guy, but I could see that he liked the idea.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top