Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2021 7:06:17 PM EDT
Just noticed today that my Rogue uses a bolt and BCG that is 5.56 form factor, the head is simply enlarged for the 308 case head and uses a roller cam pin etc...

Does this worry anyone else?  Was shooting hot loads in mine but gonna stop that!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
can you take any comparison pics with a standrd 5.56 bcg and a 308 bcg? or mainly the bolts themselves side by side?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the small frames are using a reduced size carrier. DPMS developed a new material for their bolt which they claim was incredibly durable, IIRC not one failed in their extensive military testing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
POF revolution bcg (same generally as Rogue but for piston vs DI) vs AR15 bcg

Revolution bcg vs POF p308 bcg

revolution bcg/bolt vs 308 REPR bolt

ETA: POF actually said in some video or literature somewhere that the rogue Bolt Carrier can be dropped into an AR15 or at least one of their 556 guns, if you change out the bolt and firing pin
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I wouldn't be worried at all. 5.56 has higher pressure than 308 to my understanding and POF has the E2 extraction technology which relieves pressure all around. I do know POF uses a proprietary alloy for their bolt, which I can't figure out what it is. The brown color also has me perplexed in terms of coating. I would bet the bolt is made out of some superalloy and not S7 or 9130 VAC or whatever the big boys are using these days. Maybe H13? Most people's issues with the platform have to do with short stroking. I have not heard once any issues about the cam pin or bolt breaking.

Technically you can use the rogue or revolution carrier in an AR-15, but you can't use the AR or a piston carrier in the rogue or revolution. The reason why you cant is because underneath an AR-15 carrier the depth of the place where the magazine interacts with 308 mags isn't enough, otherwise it would work.

I have a POF Rogue that i put a Superlative Arms piston system on, but instead I used a POF Revolution bolt carrier instead of the SA one because no shop would cut the Rogue carrier depths for my SA carrier for me. All I had to do to make the POF Rev carrier to work with SA piston system on my Rogue was modify the mid length piston rod. Works perfect now.

The rogue/revolution carrier are the exact same dimensions as the AR15 except for the mag interaction underneath. The bolts are not the same because the lugs are different sizes (the Rev/Rogue barrel extension is also missing a lug), but it's technically AR-15 sized in terms of diameter at the tail and the interaction between the carrier. It uses a proprietary firing pin but the same cam pin and and retaining pin as an AR-1

I have spent a shit ton of time modifying my POF Rogue, which is part size wire, exactly the same as the revolution. Hopefully this helps you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I wouldn't be worried at all. 5.56 has higher pressure than 308 to my understanding and POF has the E2 extraction technology which relieves pressure all around. I do know POF uses a proprietary alloy for their bolt, which I can't figure out what it is. The brown color also has me perplexed in terms of coating. I would bet the bolt is made out of some superalloy and not S7 or 9130 VAC or whatever the big boys are using these days. Maybe H13? Most people's issues with the platform have to do with short stroking. I have not heard once any issues about the cam pin or bolt breaking.

Technically you can use the rogue or revolution carrier in an AR-15, but you can't use the AR or a piston carrier in the rogue or revolution. The reason why you cant is because underneath an AR-15 carrier the depth of the place where the magazine interacts with 308 mags isn't enough, otherwise it would work.

I have a POF Rogue that i put a Superlative Arms piston system on, but instead I used a POF Revolution bolt carrier instead of the SA one because no shop would cut the Rogue carrier depths for my SA carrier for me. All I had to do to make the POF Rev carrier to work with SA piston system on my Rogue was modify the mid length piston rod. Works perfect now.

The rogue/revolution carrier are the exact same dimensions as the AR15 except for the mag interaction underneath. The bolts are not the same because the lugs are different sizes (the Rev/Rogue barrel extension is also missing a lug), but it's technically AR-15 sized in terms of diameter at the tail and the interaction between the carrier. It uses a proprietary firing pin but the same cam pin and and retaining pin as an AR-1

I have spent a shit ton of time modifying my POF Rogue, which is part size wire, exactly the same as the revolution. Hopefully this helps you.
View Quote

Bolt thrust is 50% more with 308.  I'll play it safe.

Finally got my gas block off today.  What a pain.  Tried to get it out with a dremel and cutting wheel, no dice.  Finally drilled it out.

Will try and take pics of it SXS with AR15, Rogue, G2, LR308 bolts
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bolt thrust is 50% more with 308.  I'll play it safe.

Finally got my gas block off today.  What a pain.  Tried to get it out with a dremel and cutting wheel, no dice.  Finally drilled it out.

Will try and take pics of it SXS with AR15, Rogue, G2, LR308 bolts
View Quote

I had the same issue with the gas block. The who hell stakes set screw GBs? POF.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The rogue is such a great. 308.  I don't baby mine qt all and haven't had any issues.  I think POF is one of the best rifle manufacturers out there today.  Their former owner who died was a bit quirky. But the man was a he'll of an engineer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
So is a rogue barrel extension the same as an regular ar barrel extension? Is a rogue bolt basically a .473 ar super bolt?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So is a rogue barrel extension the same as an regular ar barrel extension? Is a rogue bolt basically a .473 ar super bolt?
View Quote

The bolt and the barrel extension are a departure from 308 and AR-15 bolts.   The way the bolt was designed is to have one of the barrel extension lugs completely removed. I have no idea why this is, but it works. The barrel extension is not the same as the AR15.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
that said, it takes the same barrel nut as an AR15.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sample of one and all that good shit, but my brand new rogue broke the roller cam pin in under 10 rounds (of which half actually fired). Was shooting federal XM80

Gun also won’t shoot Privi 168 gr match or my reloads with resized brass. Shot about 75 rounds today with the new cam pin and 150 gr soft point reloads using demilled military brass with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sample of one and all that good shit, but my brand new rogue broke the roller cam pin in under 10 rounds (of which half actually fired). Was shooting federal XM80

Gun also won’t shoot Privi 168 gr match or my reloads with resized brass. Shot about 75 rounds today with the new cam pin and 150 gr soft point reloads using demilled military brass with no issues.
View Quote

That's nuts man. How did the cam pin break?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Like this. Had to mortar the gun to remove a few stuck rounds that did not fire (no firing pin indent either) and was taking it down to add more line when the little roller part came out.

I also had to send 2 emails and a phone call to get the replacement.

https://imgur.com/a/jvXLuax
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
that's no fun - I'm 150rds or so of IMI only, no issues..looking at some german mil surplus now
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like this. Had to mortar the gun to remove a few stuck rounds that did not fire (no firing pin indent either) and was taking it down to add more line when the little roller part came out.

I also had to send 2 emails and a phone call to get the replacement.

https://imgur.com/a/jvXLuax
View Quote

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the cam pin was the issue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the cam pin was the issue.
View Quote

When I spoke to POF customer service, they said it was likely the ammo I was shooting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I don’t like that. The 308 has way more bolt thrust than 556.

I have built wildcats in the AR15 platform that use a 308 case head diameter, and pressures have to be kept down or else the bolt cracks (usually at the cam pin hole). Maybe if they are using a new super strong material I suppose, but still, that looks awfully thin to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The POF Revolution/Rogue bolt is made from Aermet which is the same metal KAC uses for their E3 bolts.

The whole point to the brilliant engineering that created the Revolution was to be able to fire .308 from an ar-15 size rifle.  Frankly, the bolt strength scares me less than the pressure relief cuts in the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The POF Revolution/Rogue bolt is made from Aermet which is the same metal KAC uses for their E3 bolts.

The whole point to the brilliant engineering that created the Revolution was to be able to fire .308 from an ar-15 size rifle.  Frankly, the bolt strength scares me less than the pressure relief cuts in the barrel.
View Quote

This explains why the bolt costs an astronomical amount.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Small to large: Rogue - G2 - DPMS G1

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top