Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 11:31:10 PM EDT
Been toying with the idea of building a Legend for next years deer season.  I get that its a new cartridge and still coming in to its own, is that why the only barrel length I'm seeing is 16"?  Or is there a functional reason for it?  I definitely don't mind if 16" is the way it has to be, I've just always equated a longer barrel to a better deer rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The ideal barrel length has to do with the burn rate of the powder.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
16" is the most popular barrel length for AR's, so you will see more of them than any others.  If you can't find a ready made barrel in a length you want there is always custom, such as McGowen.  I have seen shorter as well as longer builds so they are out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
BCA made a batch of 18" & 20" length black nitrite H-bar fluted barrels in 350-legend back right at the end of 2019 before all the recent crazyness kicked off.

Almost bought one myself.  They have long been sold out but you might be able to pick one up off the used market.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The 350 is a great round for deer. Essentially it’s a long pistol round using pistol powder so 16 is optimal. The velocity data I’ve seen shows no significant gain over 16 inches. In fact there is little loss down to about 9 inches. I had an 18 inch GLFA barrel that nice but ultimately I chopped it to 10.5 for a brush gun.
You don’t need a brake for the 350, but if forward balance is an issue you could always add a flash hider or linear comp to put a few ounces forward.  
My go too rifle is a 16 inch Faxon gunner barrel with just a thread protector. The balance and length make it very steady freehand.
Good luck with your build. I suspect barrels will be back in stock now that hunting season is over. The 350 definitely jumped in popularity this year, for good reason.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 350 is a great round for deer. Essentially it’s a long pistol round using pistol powder so 16 is optimal. The velocity data I’ve seen shows no significant gain over 16 inches. In fact there is little loss down to about 9 inches. I had an 18 inch GLFA barrel that nice but ultimately I chopped it to 10.5 for a brush gun.
You don’t need a brake for the 350, but if forward balance is an issue you could always add a flash hider or linear comp to put a few ounces forward.  
My go too rifle is a 16 inch Faxon gunner barrel with just a thread protector. The balance and length make it very steady freehand.
Good luck with your build. I suspect barrels will be back in stock now that hunting season is over. The 350 definitely jumped in popularity this year, for good reason.
View Quote

Because you could still find it at Walmart...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The velocity data I’ve seen shows no significant gain over 16 inches. In fact there is little loss down to about 9 inches.
View Quote

Show me???
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I was curious about velocity also out of a 20" vs 16" barrel also, as I was originally looking to get a 20". The guy in this video lost 67 fps for a 20" to 16" barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4Oc32QQ_M
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I want to see some real numbers from short barrels...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
350L comes in other barrel lengths, but it is basically designed to be a hunting caliber for some straight wall states in the mid-west.

16" = rifle (normally) = no fuss

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want to see some real numbers from short barrels...
View Quote

The above YouTube video shows the numbers. I grabbed a screenshot for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The above YouTube video shows the numbers. I grabbed a screenshot for my needs.
View Quote

Got it, skipped over it before.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]

So going from 16" to 9" loses 236 fps.  I'd call that significant
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Some 350 velocity data we put together.  https://mos-tek.com/data
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It just depends how you want to use it. A 9 inch semi auto “pistol” still pushing 2K FPS makes a nice brush gun if you are building for hunting.
I shot through both front shoulders of a 175# deer at @60 yards using a 12.5 inch 350 this year. A 10.5 inch 350 I built for a buddy got 3 big Ohio whitetails this year. Both guns built for woods and brush situations.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think a 150 grain ballistic tip bullet at 2033 FPS is going to do significantly less damage than one going 2269 FPS???  

You could probably comfortably take just about any big game animal in the US with that 2033 FPS 150 grainer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you think a 150 grain ballistic tip bullet at 2033 FPS is going to do significantly less damage than one going 2269 FPS???  

You could probably comfortably take just about any big game animal in the US with that 2033 FPS 150 grainer.
View Quote

Are you that ignorant about downrange ballistics?  At the muzzle, sure, no big deal.  At 200 yards?  Ya, it does matter.  Do you think people blow cases out to fill improved chambers to gain a hundred FPS because it doesn't matter?  Plug those numbers into a ballistic calculator and open your eyes.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics-calculator
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It just depends how you want to use it. A 9 inch semi auto “pistol” still pushing 2K FPS makes a nice brush gun if you are building for hunting.
I shot through both front shoulders of a 175# deer at @60 yards using a 12.5 inch 350 this year. A 10.5 inch 350 I built for a buddy got 3 big Ohio whitetails this year. Both guns built for woods and brush situations.
View Quote

I never said it would be ineffective.  A difference of 236 fps in a gun running in the low 2k range is significant, that is all I said.  If you never see a shot over 75 yards, a 357 magnum would suffice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you that ignorant about downrange ballistics?  At the muzzle, sure, no big deal.  At 200 yards?  Ya, it does matter.  Do you think people blow cases out to fill improved chambers to gain a hundred FPS because it doesn't matter?  Plug those numbers into a ballistic calculator and open your eyes.
View Quote

Downrange ballistics isn't everything to everyone. For many there is a point of diminishing returns on velocity vs compactness.
Most of the people wildcatting for 100 extra FPS aren't brush hunting with gas guns.
Otherwise everyone would be running around with 24" AR10s in 300WSSM or similar.
350L would still be plenty effective for it's intended purpose at the 10% reduced velocity.
Open your eyes....
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, I'm hardly "ignorant" on ballistics brother.  If you're rocking a cartridge that has issues at 200 yards you have a few options, but cherry picking specific scenarios to poo-poo caliber and velocities to prove a point is what's ignorant.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
In other news, I ended up with an 18" barrel, didn't want to wait for a backorder on a 20.  Happy, just waiting for a couple more parts to finish the build.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Downrange ballistics isn't everything to everyone. For many there is a point of diminishing returns on velocity vs compactness.
Most of the people wildcatting for 100 extra FPS aren't brush hunting with gas guns.
Otherwise everyone would be running around with 24" AR10s in 300WSSM or similar.
350L would still be plenty effective for it's intended purpose at the 10% reduced velocity.
Open your eyes....
View Quote

I said it was significant, not ineffective.  Are you saying 236 FPS from a gun running in the low 2k range is insignificant?  If so, you are clueless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol, I'm hardly "ignorant" on ballistics brother.  If you're rocking a cartridge that has issues at 200 yards you have a few options, but cherry picking specific scenarios to poo-poo caliber and velocities to prove a point is what's ignorant.

View Quote

You must need reading glasses.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My eyes are perfectly fine, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I said it was significant, not ineffective.  Are you saying 236 FPS from a gun running in the low 2k range is insignificant?  If so, you are clueless.
View Quote

I didn't say it was insignificant, i said there is a point of diminishing returns where a given combination is good enough for the intended purpose.
Stop reading into things and remember that your opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's, so drop the kindergarten bs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
by request
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top