BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
To close the loop, I got a response from Rainier when I contacted them with the basic rundown I gave above about all sorts of handloads as well as 168gr and 175gr FGMM "grouping" in the 2" range and beyond:

That certainly is worse than the accuracy we expect out of our UM barrels. We guarantee them to be sub-MOA with factory match ammo, and expect ~1/2 MOA or better.

Normally I’d get that barrel in here and get a replacement out to you, but we actually discontinued that size. What I’d like to do is get that entire upper in here, have the armorers go over it and test fire it to see if there’s some (however unlikely) chance that it’s just an issue with the assembly itself that we can rectify and get you up and running with it. If not, We can either swap you for a different barrel, or get a new 12.5 made (which could take a few months given our production queue).

Let me know if that works for you and I’ll get a label out to you.

Replied to the email and asked if they wanted the upper, the upper and lower, or the entire rifle and my suppressor, since it's only shot suppressed and the AAC 51T muzzle brake is pinned/welded on the end of the barrel.

Will see what they want shipped to them and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Will running a fixed, non-adjustable gas block be troublesome? I assume it would be overgassed.

If that is the case, what GB does the hive recommend? I had an upper with a Seekins adjustable GB, but I have to admit I am not a fan of dinky set screws "holding" the adjustment screw after the adjustment is made.

Is there a click-type GB that can be used? Either a small lever or rotating knob? Maybe something that has a detent on it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a 13.5" LMT MWS (original heavy profile) pinned with a FSC30...does just fine with accuracy...the muzzle blast is not any worst really than a 14.5 AR with a brake.

She gets a hair over 2 MOA with M80 ball...which is GTG in my book. Malaysian surplus at times will dip below 2 MOA...but I would call it a solid 2 MOA gun with mil ammo.

Only mods I have done is Strike Industries AR10 flat wire spring.

It is a sub 500 meter gun for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will running a fixed, non-adjustable gas block be troublesome? I assume it would be overgassed.
View Quote
With a new-to-me 14.5 pinned on the way, I am wondering this too.. Wanting to suppress it but not sure without an adjustable GB...
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With a new-to-me 14.5 pinned on the way, I am wondering this too.. Wanting to suppress it but not sure without an adjustable GB...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a 12.5”.  It was overgassed if i added a suppressor.  Trued a heavier bufer but that did not fix it.

Heard that if only using 110g ammo suppressed they can run alrigh w/o an adj gas system.

I used an SLR but did not shoot it enough to recommend as necessarily durable.  Some of the companies have disclaimers about their clickable blocks w pistol gas systens or larger chamvering SBRs...

I redid the barrel, made it 11.5” to get better balance but have not shot it yet.  Went to a wotjak which is infinitely adjustable w the secondary small brass locking screw.  Unsure if it will be g2g w/o rockset or what??

Ideal block for suppressed/non suppressed 308 IMO, is the micro MOA govanah.  Never tried and not sure if they are still available?  A little heavy probably tho
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]

The 308 on bottom was just finished, more or less, last night with a 12.5" BA barrel.  It's was bought new as a factory Stag 16inch "other" because the CT AWB only covers pistols and rifles which lets these slip through.

Because there are apparently no 11" or 11.5" forearms made for the AR308 platform, and I was going to use a Surefire MB762, I installed a Hughes Precision .7" 5/8 to 5/8 extender to allow the shoulder of the brake to be out forward of the forearm.  Without it the shoulder of the brake was recessed about a quarter inch under the rail so there was no way the locking collar on the Warden would fit.  I will be replacing the FastFire 3 with an EOTech XPS & G33 setup and adding a SF SOCOM 300 SPS in the future.  I'll deal with an adjustable gas block then.

Also I blame OP for this build...

Stag Arms 10S factory "other"
12.5" BA barrel
BCM Mod 4 CH
LaRue MBT
SBA3 Brace
Aero 12" M5 Atlas R-One
Surefire 762 Brake & Warden blast can
Magpul K2, MVG, trigger guard
EOTech XPS2-0
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
^Weight?

And weight of OPs build?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^Weight?

And weight of OPs build?
View Quote
Approximately 8.6 pounds, unloaded, with the Warden.  Approximately 7.8 lbs without.

Edited to add weight with bare muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Approximately 8.6 pounds, unloaded
View Quote
That is roughly the same as my MWS with the 13.5" setup...nice. It is really not that bad....especially on the MWS with its massive barrel extension...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To close the loop, I got a response from Rainier when I contacted them with the basic rundown I gave above about all sorts of handloads as well as 168gr and 175gr FGMM "grouping" in the 2" range and beyond:

That certainly is worse than the accuracy we expect out of our UM barrels. We guarantee them to be sub-MOA with factory match ammo, and expect ~1/2 MOA or better.

Normally I’d get that barrel in here and get a replacement out to you, but we actually discontinued that size. What I’d like to do is get that entire upper in here, have the armorers go over it and test fire it to see if there’s some (however unlikely) chance that it’s just an issue with the assembly itself that we can rectify and get you up and running with it. If not, We can either swap you for a different barrel, or get a new 12.5 made (which could take a few months given our production queue).

Replied to the email and asked if they wanted the upper, the upper and lower, or the entire rifle and my suppressor, since it's only shot suppressed and the AAC 51T muzzle brake is pinned/welded on the end of the barrel.

View Quote
They aren't the absolute cheapest game in town, but they're competitive, and this right here is exactly why i have no qualms paying a bit more through them.  Hope they can get it sorted for you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is roughly the same as my MWS with the 13.5" setup...nice. It is really not that bad....especially on the MWS with its massive barrel extension...
View Quote
I should add that weight was with the Warden attached.  Without it the weight is about 7.8 lbs unloaded.

I'm pretty happy with it. It handles well, feels lighter than it is and balances about dead smack in the middle of the mag well when loaded.   The Warden actually makes a noticeable difference in feel but that will only be used when I don't want to destroy everyone and everything to either side of me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because there are apparently no 11" or 11.5" forearms made for the AR308 platform, and I was going to use a Surefire MB762, I installed a Hughes Precision .7" 5/8 to 5/8 extender to allow the shoulder of the brake to be out forward of the forearm
View Quote
I've only worked with LR308 platforms but I thought SLR had rails that worked with the AR308? I remember when I got mine I thought there was a barrel nut option for either? I really like the SLR Ion Lite in 11.5" and would recommend it if will work for you.

Here's what I was thinking of but now I see it was 11.7 and that .25" in extra length is probably the bigger issue
https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=107_151_156_158&product_id=903
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, SLR were the only guys I found with rails in the 11" range. It was just like you said, the 11.7" would still have been just a bit too long and their price was also more than I was willing to spend.  Other than SLR, everyone who makes .210 height rails only seem to offer 10.5" and below or 12" and up.  The extender works fine, but between it and a spacer on the real muzzle, plus shims for the brake, it adds almost 7/8" and is just a tiny bit longer than I was looking for with the 12" rail.  Maybe in the future something will come to market in the 11" range that would be ideal for a 12.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I think 13.5" is about perfect for a large frame 308 AR...its the same length as a 16" AR15...muzzle blast isn't that bad...I run a FSC30 on it.

But man...does it balance pretty well...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Final bits came in and took it out for the maiden voyage.  Without the warden attached, I can't believe how flat and soft it shoots.  With the warden there's definitely more muzzle rise, felt recoil, and everything goes yellow in front of you each time you pull the trigger.  This just replaced my .50AE Desert Eagle as my favorite ridiculously absurd range toy, and no broken wrists after three or four mags!

A buddy from work putting a few downrange.

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They aren't the absolute cheapest game in town, but they're competitive, and this right here is exactly why i have no qualms paying a bit more through them.  Hope they can get it sorted for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got the rifle and can, sans optic and mount, shipped off to Rainier over the weekend. Hopefully hear something after the new year as to whether it's the bow or this Indian...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
12.5 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
That is freaking sick man.

I'm thinking about the same barrel length myself.

What's it weigh right now?

What barrel?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
12.5 6.5 Creedmoor
https://i.imgur.com/aYh2mYY.jpg
View Quote
What kind of accuracy are you getting with that sweet toy? Tempting to change my 12 inch barrel 308 to 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice 6.5cm.

How does it run? Do you have a velocity?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
12.5 6.5 Creedmoor
https://i.imgur.com/aYh2mYY.jpg
View Quote
Been toying with this idea since I love my 12.5" 308 so much
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice 6.5cm.

How does it run? Do you have a velocity?
View Quote
@vol_fan

PLEASE report back w/ MV values and weight.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
@vol_fan

bumping for velocity.

I shot my 11.5" 308 the other day.  MV was about 2230fps w/ a moderate 168 grain SMK load, but I realize it was not the one Ran out of light before I was able to chrono any other ammo...  when barrel was 12-5/8" a similar load did about 2300
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm loving my 12.7" .308

LWRC REPR MK II 12.7" 7.62x51mm with AAC-SDN6
LWRC IC-A5 10.5" 5.56mm with AAC M4-2000
LWRC SIX-8 A5 8.5" 6.8mm SPC

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Aero M5 Receivers, Ritch's Precision Guns 12.5 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, Carbine Gas System, Cryptic Coatings BCG, SBPDW brace, Aero LPK, Geissele SSA-E, 14 inch SLR Solo Rail, B5 Grip, Noveske K5, Strike Industries dust cover.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks great!

Have you run it over a chrono?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm loving my 12.7" .308

LWRC REPR MK II 12.7" 7.62x51mm with AAC-SDN6
LWRC IC-A5 10.5" 5.56mm with AAC M4-2000
LWRC SIX-8 A5 8.5" 6.8mm SPC

https://i.imgur.com/OwpN9jo.jpg
View Quote
what kind of groups are you getting with the 12.7" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Aero M5 Receivers, Ritch's Precision Guns 12.5 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, Carbine Gas System, Cryptic Coatings BCG, SBPDW brace, Aero LPK, Geissele SSA-E, 14 inch SLR Solo Rail, B5 Grip, Noveske K5, Strike Industries dust cover.

https://i.imgur.com/zdyCcnS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/azM9ZZw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GObRojv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TMhR2CH.jpg
View Quote
Can ypu tell us about your receiver ext, buffer and action spring?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#29]
To put my own 12.5" Rainier Arms Ultramatch woes to bed, I got the rifle and SDN-6 suppressor back from them. Their findings were that unsuppressed they could hole sub-MOA groups at 200yds from a rest with match ammo. With the SDN-6 in place it became shotgun patterns.

So, the can is going back to AAC for a re-core.

I've run this can hard since 2012 and I guess it has enough baffle erosion that is causing some erratic effects to the flight path of the projectile from shot to shot.

ES/SD for loads is good, and no baffle strikes, just looks like the can and this .308 rifles aren't playing nicely.

AAC sent me an RMA without question so I'll hopefully get it to them by the weekend and will go from there.

Kinda felt like a fool for not having shot groups unsuppressed, but after seeing round holes at close range I did all my load dev with the can on as that's how it was going to be used full-time.

Lesson learned...
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Dammit... I have been toying with the idea for a while, but just ordered a 16" Wilson Combat ranger fluted instead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To put my own 12.5" Rainier Arms Ultramatch woes to bed, I got the rifle and SDN-6 suppressor back from them. Their findings were that unsuppressed they could hole sub-MOA groups at 200yds from a rest with match ammo. With the SDN-6 in place it became shotgun patterns.

I've run this can hard since 2012 and I guess it has enough baffle erosion that is causing some erratic effects to the flight path of the projectile from shot to shot.

ES/SD for loads is good, and no baffle strikes, just looks like the can and this .308 rifles aren't playing nicely.

AAC sent me an RMA without question so I'll hopefully get it to them by the weekend and will go from there.

Kinda felt like a fool for not having shot groups unsuppressed, but after seeing round holes at close range I did all my load dev with the can on as that's how it was going to be used full-time.

Lesson learned...
View Quote
Nice of rainier to do that
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#32]
When will psa get a sub 18” 308 upper rifle out?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lesson learned...
I thought they handled it above and beyond normal customer service requirements.

I told them I'd had the barrel/rifle for a couple of years at this point and they quickly paid to have me ship it to them, ran rounds through it under a few different set ups, and let me know the results before shipping it back on their dime.

Could not have asked for better service.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought they handled it above and beyond normal customer service requirements.

I told them I'd had the barrel/rifle for a couple of years at this point and they quickly paid to have me ship it to them, ran rounds through it under a few different set ups, and let me know the results before shipping it back on their dime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lesson learned...

Dang id say.

Make me want to get a barrel from them cause sometimes it take smena while tog get around to a build
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top