Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 1:59:58 PM EDT
I believe I've narrowed my search for an accurate mid-priced 6.5 Grendel barrel to the following in no particular order. I am an experienced shooter with a number of platforms, I've just never shot or built a Grendal.  My thought is to use the rifle from an elevated platform to shoot coyotes on my property at ranges out to about 450 yds., maybe a tad farther sometimes. I want a stainless barrel and I would like to have it in 18" but I included a 16" in my finalist to get opinions of it. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Brownells/Satern
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-6-5-grendel-barrels-prod69785.aspx

AR-Stoner
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228479866/ar-stoner-barrel-and-bolt-ar-15-65-grendel-grendel-ii-chamber-medium-contour-1-in-8-twist-stainless-steel#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Alexander Arms
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Barrels-6_5_Grendel_16_Lite_Barrel.html

Precision Firearms/Criterion
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precisionfirearms.com/m8/6.5%20Grendel%20Criterion%20Barrel--6-5-grendel-criterion-barrel.html

Odin Works/Les Baer Custom
https://www.odinworks.com/6_5_Grendel_LBC_Barrel_18_Intermid_p/b-6.5-18-int.htm
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
AA is the original and has saami chamber. I don't like their thread pattern.

I've got the brownells and saami 2 chamber. Shoots fine for me and the price was right on the upper I bought. Plus thread pattern fits my Griffin taper mounts
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty happy with my Odin works barrel and bolt kit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If price is not a concern my prefrence for the barrels would be.

Precision Firearms
Alexander Arms
Odin Works
Brownell's
AR Stoner

If cheaper is a requirement I suggest the Alexander Arms 16" 6.5 Grendel.  Going from 18" to 16" reduces velocity about 50 FPS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going through the same process.  I think I'm between BHW and Odin works.  I would love an AA barrel but as was previously mentioned their threading kills it for me. If that's not an issue for you I think that's the barrel to get.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I just noticed that BHW has 16.5 overrun barrels on sale for $167.75
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, but keep in mind they are not SAAMI chambers and do not use grendel bolts. I wouldn't take it for free tbh.

The odin barrel uses a SAAMI chamber, as does the AA and PF barrels. Those are the options I'd go with, that you listed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Alexander Arms 16" is $195  Get the AA bolt with it.

Precision Firearms make a great product as well, but be prepared to wait a few months, unless you find something ready to go.

If you are shooting from a fixed position, you can consider more barrel length, but the difference at 450yds in MS average elevation will be:

16" 6.5 Grendel, 123gr AMAX
450yds   1705fps 794ft-lbs Drop: -53"11.2MOA/ 3.3mils Drift: 19.5"4.1 MOA1.2 mils

20" 6.5 Grendel, 123gr AMAX
450yds  1785fps 871ft-lbs Drop: -48"10.1MOA 2.9 Mils Drift: 18.3" 3.9 MOA   1.1 mils
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, but keep in mind they are not SAAMI chambers and do not use grendel bolts. I wouldn't take it for free tbh.  

The odin barrel uses a SAAMI chamber, as does the AA and PF barrels. Those are the options I'd go with, that you listed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on your purpose.  If you'd wanting to shoot steel case cheaper ammo it might not be the best choice, but the BHW barrels aren't unproven and have a great reputation.  I haven't read of any issues with the type 1 bolts that are the default bolts but it should be noted that they will pair the barrel with a type II bolt upon request for no added charge.  For me personally I don't mind the deeper les Baer chamber since I'll only shoot 123 a-max.  

Just because something isn't SAAMI spec doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.  It should just be researched and understood.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two 6.5 Grendel uppers. One has an Odin Works 18" barrel installed on a BCM upper and the second has a Alexander Arms 16" light weight barrel installed in a Vltor upper.

The Odin upper is a MOA at best upper. The AA upper easily is sub to .5 MOA upper.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Both of my Grendels (16" and 18" mid-lengths) have AA barrels.  Very happy with both.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Yea Op I went with the AA 16 inch barrel and bolt.
From what I hear you cant go wrong with Alexander Arms on a Grendel build.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

BHW barrels that are 6.5G chambered, and 6.5G marked are a SAAMI spec, and will use the AA designed 6.5G bolt.
BHW barrels that are 264LBC chambered and marked as such are the source of this myth, and use the "type 1" or more commonly known as a 7.62x39 bolt.

Either one is made to take 6.5G ammunition and will run just fine if you pay attention to the head spacing (FWIW my headspace gauges are marked with both 6.5G and 264LBC, because the headspace is the same), with the chamber differences being shoulder depth (which is what affects the bolt face depth) and throat profile. BHW actually does produce both chamber specs. As G.I. Joe used to say: "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle"
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Many thanks to all who gave me their thoughts! I believe I have narrowed my barrel down to the Precision Firearms /Criterion barrel. Second choice was the AABarrel only because it is the shorter 16". I think while I'm at Precision, I will order the 6.5 bolt and bolt carrier that is $185 in black as it is "tuned" by them. Not sure what that means but it seems to be in the price range of other 6.5 bolts (and regular carriers) I've looked at.  Any thoughts?  And thanks again! Bil
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top