Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 7:42:24 PM EDT
I really need some help on this!

I have a 12 Inch .50 Beowulf and I am having one hell of a hard time finding a rail for it that I like. I really want to run a Daniel Defense  M4A1 RIS II rail but it is too long. My next choice is a Daniel Defense MK18 rail but that is a bit to short. Most all 12 inch rails I find are over 12 Inches and 12 inches is the max I can go with.

So me being the rebel that I am, I am seriously considering cutting down the barrel for the MK18 Rail.

The barrel will go from 12 inches to probably between 9.5-10 inches.

The gas system is a carbine length gas system and the gas port I can almost get a 1/8" punch in the hole. What I am worried about is cycling isses and obviously any other issues that I may encounter when doing this.

I need your guys help to either talk me out of this if you think it will be a bad idea!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
why not cut the rail down instead of the barrel
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I mean, why not get the rail you want, and thread the barrel for a brake or flash hider....that way, the "barrel" clears past the rail, and you don't have to "chop" anything.

I'd ask Bill this question in the AA industry forum... Hell, I've even called him up before...Great fuckin guy!

~WTS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean, why not get the rail you want, and thread the barrel for a brake or flash hider....that way, the "barrel" clears past the rail, and you don't have to "chop" anything.

I'd ask Bill this question in the AA industry forum... Hell, I've even called him up before...Great fuckin guy!

~WTS
View Quote

The barrel is already threaded. I planned on sending it to ADCO to have the work done not just "chop" it.

My question is, what potential issues would I be running into when I cut the barrel down that far? I know its a wildcat round but I was looking for a general idea as to what issues I would potentially encounter. My concern is with how close the gas port is to the end of the barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top