AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2012 8:54:11 AM EDT
If i have a 16" carbine 300 blk barrel
Can i cut it to say 12"  without gas port work or do you think
i will need to open it so subs will function
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Typically whenever you MOVE the gas port fore or aft on the barrel you go bigger the further out it is. So I would assume you could try and leave it alone because your not changing that relationship. Worst case scenario you just tap out your FSB pins and work it open later.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

12" carbine gas will not likely work well for 300 BLK regardless of size of gas ports.  You really need pistol gas for anything under 16".  In fact, even many 16" barrels are pistol gas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Typically whenever you MOVE the gas port fore or aft on the barrel you go bigger the further out it is. So I would assume you could try and leave it alone because your not changing that relationship. Worst case scenario you just tap out your FSB pins and work it open later.

This does not actually answer the OP's question because he is talking about keeping the same port location but shortening the barrel.  The shorter the barrel, the shorter the time the gas system is pressurized, so you need to increase port size to make up for it.  However, as I said above, 300 BLK does not like carbine gas below 16" regarldess of port size.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Well that answers my question...
i dont have the barrel but was able to get one at a really good price
I dont want less than 10.5 so am trying to make stuff work
Will continue the hunt
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

12" carbine gas will not likely work well for 300 BLK regardless of size of gas ports.  You really need pistol gas for anything under 16".  In fact, even many 16" barrels are pistol gas.

+1 ^^^^
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top