Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 9:43:27 AM EDT
Just got my Alpha Shooting Sports 7.62x39 upper, fits my RRA lower perfectly but when I pull the charging handle something is catching, it moves about an inch then stops, I can wiggle the charge handle til it clears, and the BCG seems to snap back unimpeded. Does this regardless of wheter a magazine is inserted. Any ideas? I'm going to try my RRA charge handle from my AR, if that doesn't change anything I'll swap the BCG too. besides the hammer itself I can't think of what it would be catching on. Hoping to take it to the range tomorrow but I have to get this sorted out first before I damage something.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got my Alpha Shooting Sports 7.62x39 upper, fits my RRA lower perfectly but when I pull the charging handle something is catching, it moves about an inch then stops, I can wiggle the charge handle til it clears, and the BCG seems to snap back unimpeded. Does this regardless of wheter a magazine is inserted. Any ideas? I'm going to try my RRA charge handle from my AR, if that doesn't change anything I'll swap the BCG too. besides the hammer itself I can't think of what it would be catching on. Hoping to take it to the range tomorrow but I have to get this sorted out first before I damage something.

eliminate some possibilities:
have you used the assembled lower with another rifle?
Are you attempting to charge the weapon with an empty or loaded magazine in the magwell?
what kind of trigger do you have?
is the bolt carrier a full auto/full mass style?
Is the cam pin installed on the bcg?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you attempting to charge the weapon with an empty or loaded magazine in the magwell?
Is the cam pin installed on the bcg?[/quote]

I've had my RRA lower w/single stage trigger on both a RRA 5.56 upper and a BCM 5.56 upper, no issues. Rifle is empty, hangs up with and without an empty magazine. Bolt is NOT full auto, haven't checked the cam pin yet, I got it in the mail today and ran home at lunch to throw it on, that's when I noticed the hangups but didn't have time to check further. I've heard of pins not being seated flush and causing issues, I hope that's all it is. If a visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious I was gonna swap the charge handle from my working 5.56 upper than the BCG to localize the problem.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the cam pin installed on the bcg?

I've had my RRA lower w/single stage trigger on both a RRA 5.56 upper and a BCM 5.56 upper, no issues. Rifle is empty, hangs up with and without an empty magazine. Bolt is NOT full auto, haven't checked the cam pin yet, I got it in the mail today and ran home at lunch to throw it on, that's when I noticed the hangups but didn't have time to check further. I've heard of pins not being seated flush and causing issues, I hope that's all it is. If a visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious I was gonna swap the charge handle from my working 5.56 upper than the BCG to localize the problem.[/quote]

try swapping the BCG first, then the handle it the BCG doesnt change anything, it will eliminate the new handle. Im thnking this is BCG related. I have seen a forward assist jam forward though! check that! And make sure the ejection port door spring isnt hanging inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it was the BCG, not out of spec just didn't have a spec of lube. Swapped the charging handle then the BCG from my BCM upper, it was definitely the BCG hanging. Looked like it was packed in some type of cosmoline, cleaned & relubed it and no more snagging. Went to the range yesterday & shot 150 rounds of surplus Yugo ammo, no FTEs or light strikes. I did have some FTFs, I think the ASC magazines may have been the culprit. Started with loading 25 rounds but the first few rounds weren't reliably feeding from the magazines (3 total), dropped back to 20 rounds and feeding was much better. Still had to occasionally use the forward assist but as I ran more rounds thru it the better it got. Only able to sight indoors at 15 yards but shooting from a bench & bipod the groupings looked good (at least for my medicre shooting skills). Loading the mags I noticed the resistance went up considerably after 18 to 20 rounds, hope they loosen up a little after more range trips. Might try lightly oiling the ammo too for better feeding.  Overall very happy with Alpha Shooting Sports upper, I think today is the last day that this upper is on sale...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top