Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2011 4:39:27 AM EDT
i'm looking specifically in DPMS format for someone who actually makes a forward assist compatible bolt carrier.

there seem to be plenty of uppers out there with the assist but, not so many bolt carriers with the teeth to engage them.

if i'm going to have it on the side of the upper, i'd rather it actually do something.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The DPMS FA doesn't use teeth to engage like a traditional FA.  It can only be used if the BCG is about a 1/2" or less out of battery.  It is less effective but really you should never need to use a FA to close the bolt on a 308, only time I use mine is when I forget to chamber a round prior to seeing Mr. Piggy
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The DPMS FA doesn't use teeth to engage like a traditional FA.  It can only be used if the BCG is about a 1/2" or less out of battery.  It is less effective but really you should never need to use a FA to close the bolt on a 308, only time I use mine is when I forget to chamber a round prior to seeing Mr. Piggy

Yep, it only pushes on the bolt when it's near lockup. But that's OK, because the only time I use it is to make sure the bolt is fully closed when I'm trying to chamber a round quietly (after riding the bolt home slowly).
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
helpful information.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My R25/DPMS .308 will not chamber a round using the FA unless the extractor has over ridden the rim of the brass.  I would have to beat it I think.  I have a very low round count on my rifle. I suspect it will become more effective with more shooting. I can't do the hunter quiet chambering move yet.  My BCG has to slam shut.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My R25/DPMS .308 will not chamber a round using the FA unless the extractor has over ridden the rim of the brass.  I would have to beat it I think.  I have a very low round count on my rifle. I suspect it will become more effective with more shooting. I can't do the hunter quiet chambering move yet.  My BCG has to slam shut.  Suggestions?

Hmmm, my LR308 worked the first time I tried, but I'm not sure what the round count was at the time (maybe 50 rounds?). I'd just try to get some more rounds through it and see if it loosens up. Was it lubed well when you tried it?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top