Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2010 10:16:42 PM EDT
The trigger pull on my LR-308 lower parts kit is pretty bad.. real stiff anyways, it's heavier than the rifle.

What can I do to lighten it up and keep reliability with military ammo? I don't need a match trigger... this rifle will only be sporting an EOtech. Cheaper the better of course... but if I have to spend some coin on a decent one that's the way it goes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The trigger pull on my LR-308 lower parts kit is pretty bad.. real stiff anyways, it's heavier than the rifle.

What can I do to lighten it up and keep reliability with military ammo? I don't need a match trigger... this rifle will only be sporting an EOtech. Cheaper the better of course... but if I have to spend some coin on a decent one that's the way it goes.

I have a JP Enterprises adjustable trigger in mine but it's a bit pricey like most match triggers. There's been a lot of guys on here that have used and reccommend Bill Springfield at Trigger Works. I'm thinking about sending him my AR15 trigger.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a springfield trigger w/ JP springs (had to swap the hammer spring out for stock for surplus ammo).  Works good and is very crisp.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the  JP adjustable triggers.  The first one I ever used was a factory installed one on my LR-308 AP4.  I've since installed them in other rifles and if you choose this route you should know that it will require some fitting to get the trigger right.  Once that is done, and the set screws are firmly lock-tited into place, they are very nice triggers.  If you want a match trigger you can use the light springs (about 3.5lbs pull) but if you want a trigger that is a bit heavier (4.5lbs) you use the standard springs.  Using the standard springs will ensure that the hammer strike is firm enough for surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've installed a Timney (NOT AR10 version) and a Chip McCormick on my LR308s and they have worked great.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Any reliable AR15 trigger should work in your setup...
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an SR Gold Trigger.

Still not sure I like it. You can barely feel/hear the reset, but it is very short and very crisp.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I sent my DPMS LR-308 trigger off to Bill Springfield at Trigger Works to fine tune.  Instead of the basic $35 polish job, I opted for the deluxe package at $50 which inludes stiffer springs.  The reworked trigger was much improved over the stock DPMS trigger.  It has the tiniest bit of creep in it, but much better than before and not much money.  If you don't want to spend hundreds for a match trigger, try Bill out first.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a springfield trigger w/ JP springs (had to swap the hammer spring out for stock for surplus ammo).  Works good and is very crisp.

+1

Exactly the same for me. I highly recommend his work, especially for the money.

jonblack
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I put a RRA 2 stage in mine, i opted for the 3.5# instead of the 4.5#.  The trigger has no creep and is extremely light.  It took 40 dry fires at least just to not over pull it.  I think I shoulda got the 4.5 but either way its an awesome upgrade from stock.  I got it from vtsupply.com and I can't tell you how satisfied I've been with their service.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any reliable AR15 trigger should work in your setup...

This.

I happen to like the RRA 2-stage trigger. I'd like to try the drop-in trigger modules and see how they compare.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

I happen to like the RRA 2-stage trigger. I'd like to try the drop-in trigger modules and see how they compare.

Currently using the RRA 2-stage.  Much better than the factory DPMS trigger.

After swapping safeties I was able to find a combination that has almost no over travel.

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really like the  JP adjustable triggers.  The first one I ever used was a factory installed one on my LR-308 AP4.  I've since installed them in other rifles and if you choose this route you should know that it will require some fitting to get the trigger right.  Once that is done, and the set screws are firmly lock-tited into place, they are very nice triggers.  If you want a match trigger you can use the light springs (about 3.5lbs pull) but if you want a trigger that is a bit heavier (4.5lbs) you use the standard springs.  Using the standard springs will ensure that the hammer strike is firm enough for surplus ammo.

Even installed from the factory, they require a lot of fitting and work.     I was shocked DPMS did not correctly fit the JP trigger in my rifle.    It was just "in there".      I would be embarassed to tell someone/cutomer it was a JP custom trigger, and then let them test it at the couner.    Oh, yeah, that's going to make me want to pull out my wallet and throw a couple hundred more at it.   My unfitted pull was worse than any AR trigger pull I had ever experienced.    

Once fitted, it's a very nice pull, but do understand, as posted above that they take some fitting= stoning/filing to finally get to a crisp clean pull(mine wouldn't allow the safety to be engaged propperly).    Even then, don't think they are anywhere close to a well tuned and adjusted factory Remington 700 trigger.    I know that's apples and oranges, but I want folks not to expect a nice bolt action trigger feel.

Again, all that said, I like my trigger, and my friends who have fired it, all think it's wonderfull.   It surpises everyone who test fires it, even at 4.5lbs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even installed from the factory, they require a lot of fitting and work.     I was shocked DPMS did not correctly fit the JP trigger in my rifle.    It was just "in there".      I would be embarassed to tell someone/cutomer it was a JP custom trigger, and then let them test it at the couner.    Oh, yeah, that's going to make me want to pull out my wallet and throw a couple hundred more at it.   My unfitted pull was worse than any AR trigger pull I had ever experienced.    

Once fitted, it's a very nice pull, but do understand, as posted above that they take some fitting= stoning/filing to finally get to a crisp clean pull(mine wouldn't allow the safety to be engaged propperly).    Even then, don't think they are anywhere close to a well tuned and adjusted factory Remington 700 trigger.    I know that's apples and oranges, but I want folks not to expect a nice bolt action trigger feel.

Again, all that said, I like my trigger, and my friends who have fired it, all think it's wonderfull.   It surpises everyone who test fires it, even at 4.5lbs.

To date I have 3 JP adjustable triggers that were factory installed by DPMS (an LR-308 AP4, an LR-308 SASS, and a Mini-SASS) and all three were turned properly from the factory so I haven't had that issue.  That said, if the safety wouldn't engage properly it is clear that they didn't even try to fit the trigger properly.

I agree that you won't get a tuned 700 trigger with the JP (is there any AR trigger that can do that?).  I just wanted to convey that I'm very happy with mine (those that were factory installed and those I have installed myself).  The one I have set at 3.5 lbs (on my Mini-SASS) is very good but I only shoot handloads or match ammo from it so it doesn't need the heavier hammer spring.  The rest I have at 4.5 lbs and I am still quite satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a RRA NM 2 stage.  I have one in another variant and liked it enough to put in my DPMS.  My groups got much tighter than with the factory gritty and overly tough trigger.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
My P-308 lower...
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My JP was factory installed by DPMS. I've been able to compare it to several other stock DPMS triggers and it is much nicer. Worked well out of the box with just a little creep before the let off. Probably could still use a little polishing and such but it's much nicer than stock. You are right though I won't be confusing it with my 700 trigger!

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Send it to Bill Springfield.  Cheap and good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I also bought a dpms LR-308 and install a rockriver 2 stage trigger in it right away after reading about how bad the factory trigger is. I also installed the same trigger in my armalite ar-10.

Upgrading the trigger is best thing you could do to these rifles. I also have the rockriver 2 stag trigger in my ar-15 rifle. It is the most reasonable price trigger out there without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a sportical 308 that had a terrible trigger.  I still want a Timney but my current fix REALLY improved the factory condition.  I didn't want to take a stone to it because of all the problems with it wearing out and doubling.  So I put some Mother's polish on the sear/trigger connection and dry fired it a bunch of times until the grittyness went away.  Then I took it apart and cleaned it real well.  Then I gave it the "15 minute trigger job" minus cutting the hammer spring.  Instead of cutting it I put one leg beneath the trigger pin.  Make sure its the leg that doesn't sit in the groove on the trigger pin or the pin can walk out-everyone here straightened me out on that real quick.  Then I gave it the $0.40 grip screw mod to take out some of the creep.  The result is 1000% better than what I started with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I put a RRA match in mine and left one of the hammer spring legs below the pin, tweeked the trigger spring,  as well as polishing the contact surfaces.  It feels great and I have had no problems with radway and dag.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Big +1.

Fast turn around time, and huge improvement over the factory trigger.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]
1 Vote for the WC TTU.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is what I received from DPMS when I asked about the trigger in a new DPMS

The triggers are standard mil. Spec. triggers and are very rough. There is nothing any one can do with that trigger. The best thing is a after market trigger. As far as the jamming issues what kind of ammo are you using? Also when shooting the rifle is it wet with a good HEAVY GUN OIL ?

Thanks,

Mark Imholte | Customer Service
DPMS Firearms, LLC

3312 12th St SE

St. Cloud, MN 56304

Phone:  1-800-578-3767

Fax:      1-320-345-9249

Freedom Group Family of Companies

Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS / Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, NEF, Dakota Arms, Parker Gun, L.C. Smith, EOTAC, Advanced Armament   Corp., Barnes Bullets, INTC

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 308 Sportical Problems

Dear Sirs:

I recently purchased a DPMS 308 Sportical. While I really like the rifle, there are two nagging issues with it.

The first problem I noticed is in the trigger. It felt really gritty, but I thought it would clean up. To my surprise, it didn’t clean up at all. When I disassembled the rifle to see what was going on, it was clearly evident upon examination of the trigger sear surfaces. It looks like they both were cut with a file. I can even feel the roughness running my finger nail across it. If you want me to send it to you for examination, I would be glad to do so. I would like it returned or a replacement as while it is unusable now, I am more than capable of improving it to a functional state.

The second issue involves both the factory magazines. It seems that now matter how many rounds I load, The rifle will jamb on the last two rounds. This does not happen with the four round hunting magazine that I bought aftermarket. Do you have any ideas what may be going on here?

Please let me know as I do plan to try and get this rifle in serviceable shape to hunt pigs this fall and I would like to make sure I can empty the rifle no mater how many rounds are in it.

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a Geisselle and a JP in my LR308s and the Bill Springfield trigger jobs in my other rifles are 80% as good for 15% of the price.

AR gold is the answer for the $$$.  Blows them ALL away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Just put a RRA 2 stage in mine, fired it today.  Almost 100 rounds, zero problems.  Huge difference from the original one
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I put an RRA match 2 stage, worked a little by ADCO, in my 308T, and I like it a lot, especially for the money.  My DPMS AP4 got a Gisselle SSA (Super Semi-Automatic), also from ADCO.  I'm in love with the SSA!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top