Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:19:13 PM EDT
This one gets thrown out pretty frequently, so I figured I would post this to try and help out.

Magpul offers 2 models of the PRS stock, one for .223 rifles and one for .308 rifles.

For the most part these 2 models are the same. They both use a standard "AR rifle length" buffer tube / receiver extension. The adjustments for the Length-of-Pull and the Cheek Rest are the same.

The major difference between the 2 models is the size / length of the Cheek Rest. The .308 model has a shorter / smaller cheek rest, this is to allow for the longer length-of-pull with the .308 charging handle.

Based on this difference, you could use either model on a .223 rifle, but you cannot use the .223 model on a .308 because if you raise the cheek rest, you will not be able to pull the charging handle far enough to the rear.

I have had problems finding the .308 model and they always seemed to be higher priced, so I came up with a plan to modify the .223 model. Basically all I did was trim off the front end of the cheek rest.

In the pic below, TOP - .223 Model Modified to fit .308, MIDDLE - Factory .308 Model, BOTTOM - Factory .223 Model

In the pic below, TOP - Factory .223 Model, MIDDLE - .223 Model Modified to fit .308, BOTTOM - Factory .308 Model

I trimmed 0.55 inches off of the front of the cheek rest with a Hack Saw.

Doing so will leave a small gap where the buffer tube / receiver extension will be exposed. This may not look the best, but it works perfectly fine.

Hopefully that all makes sense, best of luck,
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I certainly appreciate that...have figured out the difference in my mind, but the visual is key.  well done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tutorial.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Magpul drop the 223 model. Why keep it when the 308 model will work for both?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tutorial.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Magpul drop the 223 model. Why keep it when the 308 model will work for both?

Yeah, especially when you can't even GET the damn 308 model! I've had a green one on order since December dammit.....

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
PK Firearms has the OD AR10 model in stock if you need it.

PRS
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top