Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:42:16 PM EDT
Just wondering if there are any DIY type adjustments that can be made to a DPMS LR308 to improve on it's accuracy?  I've had mine out twice now and she seems to be holding about 1MOA with Federal GMM 168gr when I do things right.  Admittedly I have limited experience behind it thus far and haven't had a chance to do any load development yet other than to determine that the 175gr loads for my bolt gun won't work in the magazines.  The rifle very well may be capable of better accuracy and I may find it through nothing more than practice but I'd like to find out any tips or tricks if they're out there.

I'm considering swapping the slickside upper with one that has the shell deflector, port door and forward assist.  Any loss of accuracy concerns with this swap?

I'm also planning to have the barrel threaded and put an adjustable gas block on.  Hoping that the suppressor may tighten groups up a bit.  It sure doesn't hurt on my bolt gun.

Anyone have one they've played with in a similar fashion?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that slick-side or A3 upper receivers will matter one way or the other in accuracy.  I may, however, be wrong.

I don't know if an adjustable gas block and/or supressor would help, either.

I have a DPMS LR-308 that just did a sub .5 MOA group at 100 yards yesterday using Factory Winchester Silvertips.  It is stock for all practical purposes, and has the slick side upper.

I was planning on doing the A3 upper swap, and I still may.  I don't know.

You missed the absolute MOST effective upgrade to a LR-308.  You will get the most improvement in accuracy from getting rid of the stock trigger.  It is horrible.

Mine will make do for the rest of this hunting season, but I'll be putting a Giselle #4.5 in mine after the first of the year.

So, in short:

Trigger first.

–– John
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have mentioned, I have a drop in Chip McCormick trigger in it.  It's not perfect but it'll do.

Thanks for the info.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top