Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:34:42 PM EDT
I was pondering a loading the 135 SMK. Anybody tried this yet?
-Might even make a kick @ss subonic load........

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I did, I dont have the data wrote down because it was just a "lets see what happens experiment"

The 135 SMK is pretty long and I dont think you could seat it deep enough to have the same over all length as a normal 6.8 with out getting crimpin it on the ogive, for magazine fed rounds.  You could load them as long as your rifle would allow and load them single into the chamber though, like shooting the 80gr out of a 223.

I still have some left, I use to shoot them out of my 270 but got rid of the 270 when my 6.8 came in to the picture.  I could send you a few if you want to try them before buying a box.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely should work for a subsonic,. but it is too long to allow for enough powder in the case.

1.17 is about as long as you can seat and still get good velocity.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle cycles fine with 2.27 OAL

My guess is that 15-20 grains of powder would still be 2-3 moa accurate and should still cycle the weapon.

anybody tried any pistol powders?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top