Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2008 9:36:31 AM EDT
It seems 6.8 is a great round for the AR platform but why do I always see a bunch of 6.8 uppers for sale in the EE? Are people not liking them? Ammo prices? Just curious mainly and trying to decide between a 7.62 and 6.8 build.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Must be upgrading.  I got a 6.8 and It is the best investment I have ever made.  If you reload your ammo, prices are pretty reasonable.  you cant beat a gun that kicks like a .223 and can lay down a hog in one shot.    
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Which uppers are being sold? Could be people dumping 1-in-10 or 1-in-9.5 twist barreled uppers in favor of something slower twist as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Upgrading to 1 in 10 Kotonics I reckon...

Look at the number of companies now offering 6.8 SPC chamberings in their rifles...and growing by leaps and bounds..

Check out how much ammo Silver State Armory has been selling...
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]

another reason... if you don't reload 6.8 is an expensive round to shoot.  I had an upper that was going to be for 6.8 till I saw what ammo cost, so I abandoned that for an other 5.56mm and started my Fulton/TAC-20 .308... which has taken so long that I've started another 5.56mm project upper.  

I still want a 6.8spc and I have noticed alot more uppers/barrels on the market... so maybe if I can find one cheap enough I will get one and just use it for hunting medium sized game every now and then... problem is, I have 2 extra uppers, a FCG and a complete stock kit, so 2 more lowers are sounding pretty good right about now
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I sold one of my 6.8 barrels to upgrade to another brand.

Not the snakeskin.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
6.8  =  80% of the knock-down power of a .308.

Recoil, just a touch more than a .223.

I sold mine on the EE to upgrade my barrel, etc.

GREAT ROUND !  GOTTA GIT YA SUM   !!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold my 18" Ko-tonics to go with a 16" lighweight Ko-tonics.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It seems 6.8 is a great round for the AR platform but why do I always see a bunch of 6.8 uppers for sale in the EE? Are people not liking them? Ammo prices? Just curious mainly and trying to decide between a 7.62 and 6.8 build.

Amazing how savvy and discriminating the "average" shooter has become.  Most of the 6.8 uppers I have seen for sale have been 1 in 10" twist uppers with SAAMI chambers.  These folks now know that 6.8 SPC performs best in the 11 and (soon, very soon) 12 twist barrels with SPC II chambering.

And + 1 on dumping a hog with one shot.....I have done that many times with my 6.8 SPC, but very rarely did I with the .223.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
What you have to notice is 99.9999999999999% of those selling there 6.8s are NOT doing one thing for sure and that is buying a 5.56 instead.

They are almost always buying a new 6.8 with better specs whether it be going from SAAMI 10 to SPCII 11 or going from one profile or length to another.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The ones not upgrading to new 6.8 twist probably tried out their friends Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I'mm guilty of selling my 6.8 upper on the EE.  But I did it to upgrade to a DPMS 308.

Mine was a factory bushmaster and with a 16" it wasn't the worlds most accurate rifle.  I wanted to start shooting farther out with the AR-15 platform and when I figured out what it'd cost me to get my 6.8 shooting well, it was the same amount as upgrading to the DPMS 308.  Nothing wrong with the 6.8, but I could never go back after having the 308.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The ones not upgrading to new 6.8 twist probably tried out their friends Grendel.

This I highly doubt, but thanks for your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
So what I am seeing is that if I want to get a 6.8 upper, hold out and buy one of the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So what I am seeing is that if I want to get a 6.8 upper, hold out and buy one of the latest and greatest.

You can get anything from mild to wild.

How much you wanna spend?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]
This brings up something that I just don;t get.

This site/ forum has rules and all but very new guys damn well know what they are.  Why not stop with slaps on the wrist verbal warnings as that only works with people that just make a mistake and need as reminder what they did was not allowed but not with things that are done by people with premeditated intent.  Take a firm stance so this stuff actually stops.  If there is no "real" penalty then there is no motivation to conduct yourself properly.  A comment was made in violation of the rules but his comment stands and whats the penalty as request to stop.  Like it was a mistake or something.  Come on member for 4+ years and 890 posts and he needs to be told what the code of conduct is!?!   What was set out to be done was accomplished with no penalty.  Why not start dropping the hammer so the 99.9% of the people on here that actually would like to have real productive discussions can and enjoy it without having to wonder when someone is going to make a stupid comment and derail yet another good thread.  The next time a member pulls crap like this ban him for a week.  I bet the crap will stop real fast.  In one of two ways.  Either the trouble makers and instigators will get the hint and stop, leave, whatever or they won't be here to cause the trouble becasue they will have a locked account  

How many good members don't frequent here as much because of this stuff?  I bet many more then is realized.  I think way to many people think this is a product of having an open forum and nothing can be done without stifling the open nature of the discussions.  Hog wash just enforce the rules so all the people that really contribute with info and support with their money can enjoy this site.  

As an example the  EE's rules are strictly enforced and it runs very smoothly for such an active forum of that nature; why?  Because when you screw up it is dealt with firmly and immediately.  I made my first sale over there and made the mistake, totally by accident, of answering a question on a post on the first day I posted it which violated the bump rule.   With in 5 minutes the thread was locked.  Was I a little surprised it was so strict?  Yes given the rest of the site.  But did I make that mistake again?  Not a chance.  There was a real penalty for my action that got my attention.  Would have done it again on purpose if that hadn't happened?  No, as I didn't mean to in the first place but I know I could have easily have repeated the same mistake just not paying attention .  Not so after what happened as it made a memorable impression on me to remembered not to.  I bet if that was applied here almost all of the crap would end either by choice or by not being able to post.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How many good members don't frequent here as much because of this stuff?

I'm one of those.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I was one who couldn't wait to get into the 6.8 fad and the first thing I did was buy an upper from **** who was and still is a very reputable dealer but...
the twist was wrong and because I was in front of the pack(first time for me)I didn't know the wisdom that comes with those who wait and learn from the mistake of others (me). Sold my 1/10 saami for the 1/11 SpcII and was so happy that I own first a 18" and went ahead and bought a 16".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm one of those.

Randall,

I hope you can ignore 's like that, and contribute your wisdom here more often.  We have lost some great people like Constructor, Paulosantos and others because of this, and that is a loss for the whole board.  I alone certainly am not capable of enlightening all those here who need it.  My knowledge and experience is limited.

We need you here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm one of those.

Randall,

I hope you can ignore 's like that, and contribute your wisdom here more often.  We have lost some great people like Constructor, Paulosantos and others because of this, and that is a loss for the whole board.  I alone certainly am not capable of enlightening all those here who need it.  My knowledge and experience is limited.

We need you here.

+1 I am involved in a thread on calguns with you and enjoy and appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I put mine up for sale a custom lower with ko-tonic 16" combat upper because of ammo cost. When I was contacted by potential buyers, I couldnt part with my rifle.

a 16" ar-10 would be my only other option, but recoil is too much, and I can put many more shots on target quicker with the 6.8

I kept my 6.8 rifle, and ended buying a 5.56 m4 gov profile upper for cheaper ammo plinking at the range.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The hard part is the some us including me have a 10:1 saami that shoot straight. Mine will

do 3/4-1 1/4" with a GI trigger. I have never had a rifle shoot this straight. Also note l that I

have not held an AR in over thirty years. So If anything happens to mine it is because I would

be moving to a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Upgrading for sure.

I'll be chopping my 1:10 to 12" and buying a 1:11 or 1:12 18" for my longrange AR platform.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm selling my upper because I plan on going suppressed now that it's an option and didn't feel like hassling with tearing it down and rebuilding it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
What barrel would you guys recommend for a 18" SPR project if you were starting out from scratch?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What barrel would you guys recommend for a 18" SPR project if you were starting out from scratch?

-Ko-Tonics for the value priced upper

-AR15 Performance 1 in 11 or 1 in 12 twist DMR chamber for the super precision SS barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
another reason... if you don't reload 6.8 is an expensive round to shoot.  I had an upper that was going to be for 6.8 till I saw what ammo cost, so I abandoned that for an other 5.56mm and started my Fulton/TAC-20 .308... which has taken so long that I've started another 5.56mm project upper.  

I still want a 6.8spc and I have noticed alot more uppers/barrels on the market... so maybe if I can find one cheap enough I will get one and just use it for hunting medium sized game every now and then... problem is, I have 2 extra uppers, a FCG and a complete stock kit, so 2 more lowers are sounding pretty good right about now

A 6.8 is my current [main] build.

I will probably just shoot mine sparingly until I get a reloading setup for it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top