Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 8:55:10 PM EDT
Your cases look like this

this is a varient btw
A .243 belted magnum
Who says bolts aren't strong
Thats what happens when you use 42gr of H4895 behind a 95gr SMK and shove it .020 into the lands. The 42gr was a mischarge and should have been 39gr.
 Edited to explain how this happened.
To charge a 243 you have to use the small tube to feed the powder into the case.
When using slow burning powders sometimes the powder will hang in the charge tube dropping less in one case and more in the next. You always visually inspect the levels but when the charge is down below the shoulder it's hard to tell the difference in a few grains. Quickload figured this charge from the velocity reading to be around 78000psi.
17000 psi over the SAAMI spec.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
So did ya get a velocity..lol... ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeh really, what was the velocity?  4500fps?  HAHA!!!  Glad everything held up ok on the gun...

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I hope nothing was broken, and no injuries, that would be most important.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
you just aren't happy unless yoiur are finding out what it takes to break something are you?

Tim
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well I hope nothing was broken, and no injuries, that would be most important.

Not even a puff of smoke or a hard recoil, the case did not seperate. It does make me think about drilling a gas relief port throught the side of the extension and upper receiver like  Mauser or Remington has.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top