Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 5:59:48 PM EDT
My question deals with bullet seating.  I have the CH4D dies.  I am attempting to load two different bullets, 300 gr. Sierra FN HP and Speer 350 gr FN SP.  The Sierra's were very tight and required enough force to deform the lead on the tip.  I tried one Speer and it required twice the force and crushed the shoulder.  Has anyone experienced this with the CH4D dies?  Do I need to lube the inside of the case neck?  I checked the expander ball in the sizing die and it is .457.  Is is possible that the inside of the seating die is not large enough to allow the case to expand during the seating process? hanks,
JM
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think a 457 expander die wouldn't be big enough for a 458 bullet

Are the case mouth being belled at all?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The seater plug for the CH is typically one meant for use with the 300 gr Barnes X. this is what will cause the deformation of the FN (J)HP bullets in the same weight.  Best solution is to get a seater plug for a round like the 44 Mag (or 45 Colt) and use it in the SOCOM dies.  As to crushing the shoulder, I had this happen only with flat base bullets once or twice. and chamfering the brass resolved that issue for me.  Others have used a belling die to slightly bell the case mouth and make for an easier loading of the FB bullets.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:07:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  My cases are not belled after sizing.  I will order a new seater plug and an expanding die.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top