Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 2:49:37 PM EDT
The article below says he was hitting targets 400yds easily with the 24" Beowulf Overwatch.  I'm reading on this forum 200yds is around the max range. The Beowulf has been around for a bit now so can someone set me straight?

http://www.gunblast.com/Alex_Overwatch.htm

Also anyone have pics/video of what the beowulf does to a praire devil?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the post "Moose with Beowulf" on the second page...  66" moose killed with a Beowulf at 200 yards - most impressive...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that  200yd is thought to be max because bullet drop is so drastic after that . As far as target shooting Im sure you could hit at 400yd , you just need to adjust for it . Just my thoughts .
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Come on Spooky don't stretch it. It was only 194 yards.  I've done some practice with my Wolf on my 200 yard gong and it rings it with authority. That is why I took the shot I did. I lasered him three times and was confident of my ability to hit but untill then wasn't sure what a 400 grain brick would do at that range. If I recall there was about a 8" drop with a 100 yard zero.  That was the longest shot I took at game other than predators in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Marty has talked about people making hits at 500 yds with the 458 SOCOM IIRC.  It would be like shooting artillery, though if you are punching paper, more power to you
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Come on Spooky don't stretch it. It was only 194 yards.  I've done some practice with my Wolf on my 200 yard gong and it rings it with authority. That is why I took the shot I did. I lasered him three times and was confident of my ability to hit but untill then wasn't sure what a 400 grain brick would do at that range. If I recall there was about a 8" drop with a 100 yard zero.  That was the longest shot I took at game other than predators in a long time.

What's 6 yards between friends?  I would venture to say it is more the shooter than the rifle or load...  And you had practiced for that and there was really no reason not to shoot.  The guys who get in trouble are the ones who try the 200 yard shot that have never shot beyond 100 yards or never done more than sight their rifle in...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You could easily shoot that round to 400 if you compensated for drop. Thats not something that is very practical in the field though, and it won't hit very hard out that far.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The ballistics of the 50 Beowulf are very similar to the old Black powder cartridge rifles like the one used in the movie Quigley Down Under.  I would bet that it is nearly identical to a 50-90 or 50 -110.  The old buffalo hunters made some very impressive shots with those old guns.  Look up Billy Dixon and the Battle of Adobe Wells for example.  I would probably take a 300yd shot with my Beowulf on a deer sized critter, but I've done some shooting with it at that range.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot my .458 out to 500m and it is a kick.  I was able to hit an 18" steel plate no problem with about 4 ft of holdover.  I used lee's balistic calculator to get the holdover and a mil-dot scope.  I wouldn't try it on game, but it is fun for the, "hey guys, check this out" factor.  It is cool because after you shoot, you can put down your rifle, have a coffee, brag about your shot, load a few magazines and then listen for the impact.  Much farther out and you could use a foreward observer and fire indirect.  I think that's the next step.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You could easily shoot that round to 400 if you compensated for drop. Thats not something that is very practical in the field though, and it won't hit very hard out that far.

I would like to refer to the following research 1879 Sandy Hook - .45-70 at TWO MILES

Albeit a bit dated (1879), it illustrates the point quite nicely.  In terms of retained energy at distance, here is a snippet

Since one of the test's objectives was to gauge bullet penetration, the huge target consisted of three 1-inch thick boards, separated by 1-inch cleats. The target was supported on 6-inch spruce posts and was constructed partly of spruce and partly pine, since this was the wood at hand.

In the tests at 2,500 yards   , the target was hit five times in seventy rounds with the .45-70-405 service load, only once with the Martini-Henry in eighty rounds, and four times with the long range Springfield in thirty shots.

When the Springfield long range cartridge was fired, the 500-grain blunt nosed lead bullets propelled by 80 grains of black powder in the 2.4-inch cases at about 1,375 fps penetrated right through the three inches of wooden target and buried themselves in the sand. One 500-grain slug pierced three inches of target and buried itself in a supporting six-inch post, giving a total penetration of a measured 5.25 inches. The Service 405-grain bullet gave a penetration of just 1.12 inches, and the Martini-Henry 480-grain bullet, 2.50 inches.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to refer to the following research 1879 Sandy Hook - .45-70 at TWO MILES

Albeit a bit dated (1879), it illustrates the point quite nicely.  In terms of retained energy at distance, here is a snippet

Since one of the test's objectives was to gauge bullet penetration, the huge target consisted of three 1-inch thick boards, separated by 1-inch cleats. The target was supported on 6-inch spruce posts and was constructed partly of spruce and partly pine, since this was the wood at hand.

In the tests at 2,500 yards   , the target was hit five times in seventy rounds with the .45-70-405 service load, only once with the Martini-Henry in eighty rounds, and four times with the long range Springfield in thirty shots.

When the Springfield long range cartridge was fired, the 500-grain blunt nosed lead bullets propelled by 80 grains of black powder in the 2.4-inch cases at about 1,375 fps penetrated right through the three inches of wooden target and buried themselves in the sand. One 500-grain slug pierced three inches of target and buried itself in a supporting six-inch post, giving a total penetration of a measured 5.25 inches. The Service 405-grain bullet gave a penetration of just 1.12 inches, and the Martini-Henry 480-grain bullet, 2.50 inches.

impressive!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
As a side note - I regularly shoot 45-70 at 600 yards, with open sights in my Shiloh Sharps [using Goex blackpowder].  Most black powder cartridge matches shoot "off hand" open sights at 200 yards for starters - this includes silhouette matches.  I wouldn't limit the Beowulf to 200 yds......

[Then again, I am shooting a 30" tube on the Shiloh; probably makes a difference....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sheeeszee...my computer gives me an error message when I try to post......causes multiple hits..sorry about that ....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The ballistics of the 50 Beowulf are very similar to the old Black powder cartridge rifles like the one used in the movie Quigley Down Under.  I would bet that it is nearly identical to a 50-90 or 50 -110.  The old buffalo hunters made some very impressive shots with those old guns.  Look up Billy Dixon and the Battle of Adobe Wells for example.  I would probably take a 300yd shot with my Beowulf on a deer sized critter, but I've done some shooting with it at that range.

I figure its probably closer to the old 50-70 which was the standard for many years.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Ooopps - double tap  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top