Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:19:35 PM EDT
Florida hunting regs require you to use only magazines with "...a maximum capacity of five rounds..." when hunting with semi-automatic rifles.  Any good suggestions for a "5-round max" mag for a 458 SOCOM?  My Colt 20-round (.223) mags will hold seven, so that's out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Florida hunting regs require you to use only magazines with "...a maximum capacity of five rounds..." when hunting with semi-automatic rifles.  Any good suggestions for a "5-round max" mag for a 458 SOCOM?  My Colt 20-round (.223) mags will hold seven, so that's out.

Use the 10-round 223 mags that are out there, they should do.  Bearbait actually had fun with a Fish and Game warden on his hunt shown on our website.  Warden thought he was going to get to confiscate a 223 due to mag holding more than 3 rounds.  Bearbait handed him the mag, 4 SOCOM rounds and said "have at it, make em fit"... After trying in vain to fit more than 3, the warden gave up and then wanted to know all about this big bore monster ....

I have a stack of in the wrapper 10 round 7.62x39 mags that should fit the bill, I will even test to see how many I can fit and report back just checked, they will hold 5 and not one more
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Marty

Thanks.  I'll call you Monday to arange to get a couple.

By the way, when loading the heavy 400g flat nose to high velocity for hunting, the muuzzle brake really makes a difference.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Marty,

I would be interested in purchasing two mags to be shipped with my upper if they are available.  I will shoot an e-mail as well.  Thank you for your efforts on my upper.  I am waiting for my Midway order to come in so I can get started loading (then reloading) some ammunition.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Marty

By the way, when loading the heavy 400g flat nose to high velocity for hunting, the muuzzle brake really makes a difference.  Thanks again.

What kind of brake do you have?
Chris
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marty

What kind of brake do you have?
Chris

I have no idea the kind/brand or make.  I got the upper from 458socom.com and they shipped it to Marty before I ever saw it and he installed the brake.  It's a cage-type brake, about 2" long, that is very effective.  I have a bad right hand and, believe it or not, I like brakes to reduce the impulse going to the hand, so this one is very welcome.  BTW, the brake was not even installed with loc-tite.  Marty says the threads can double for suppressors, so he never locks them on.  I have no such plans, so I used a little blue loc-tite and 300 rounds later it's still holding up completely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
VTK9 - Got you covered on the mags

The brake is the Shrewd brand brake, our standard.  Several of these out there, IIRC in the picture thread Parrandero's rifle is sporting one ...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Schrewd brake
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI, the Colt 8-9 round short mags with the angled bottom hold 3 .458 SOCOM, the curved Bushmaster 10 round mags (that are the size of a curved 20 round mag) hold 4 .458 SOCOMs.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top