User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 12:26:58 PM EDT
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that forged means that molten metal is poured into a mold to produce the part/piece.  Milled I believe is when a solid bar stock is cut down into the part/piece that is being made.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I believe that forged means that molten metal is poured into a mold to produce the part/piece.  Milled I believe is when a solid bar stock is cut down into the part/piece that is being made.  

I thought cast meant pouring molten metal into a mold???
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cast is pouring molten metal into a mold.  Milling is taking a block of stock, and machining out everything that isnt the final product, and forging is beating the shit out of it till it takes the shape you need.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cast is pouring molten metal into a mold.  Milling is taking a block of stock, and machining out everything that isnt the final product, and forging is beating the shit out of it till it takes the shape you need.

somthing to this extent
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Forged and cast receivers also require milling, as well as drilling and threading. Forging and casting waste less metal and saves time since they are closer to the final shape when the milling starts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Molted metal is typically poured into a pattern, or injected under pressure into a die to create a casting.
A forging is typically created in a high tonnage forge press. A semi-solid ingot is smacked in a forge die to the desired shape.
The purpose of forging steel or aluminum alloys in a high tonnage press is to align the grain structure in the same direction for maximum strength of the part. Doing this also allows you to use thinner cross-sections and reduce part weight in the design of the final product being that your forging is stronger.
A casting typically does not have an orderly grain structure aligned in the same direction by being poured or injected into the tool. Thus you have a part that is not as strong.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Oberlander Arms in Germany mills their OA-15 receivers from stock. That's why they are mungo expensive...about 2700 per rifle. You do however get a ncie Lothar-Walther barrel to go with it.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top