Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 7:15:50 AM EDT
I just got a chance to shoot my LR308 at 600 yds.   My load was IMR 4895 - 41.3 grs behind the 168 smk,  using win brass and cci 200 primers.   Equipment;   leupold 4.5-14 mil dot scope mounted on a 15moa base.  The rifle was shot with a bi-pod and no rear rest in the prone position.  The wind conditions were very readable with a light 6-8mph wind coming in from my 3-4 o'clock.

It took me about 5 rounds to get "settled in" behind the rifle and also started with a clean barrel,  once that happened I started to just kill the X-ring on the NRA high power target MR-1,  I shot the spotter twice and shot the spindle right off once.  This rifle is holding a good solid X-ring(under six inch groups) when I could hold the position.  Twenty rounds; score 200-12X

This sucker is giving me a woody,  I love it when a good rifle and ammo come together
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not shot mine beyond 100 yds as yet, but have been impressed with it.  This is a 10 shot group using Federal GMM 168 that has been repeated many times.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
OOPS! Sorry about the size.  I am new to this picture posting and need to downsize this thing!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Bluebeemer;  That's a good group-looks like at least 1/2 min.  That should reflect that shot group out at 300/600yd with that ammo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys give me hope for mine. I haven't produced any groups yet worth measuring I've just been using military surplus so far, but i was still hoping for better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  I really like this rifle a lot.  I own very few rifles that have shot this consistantly from the start.  It's a keeper!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I just shot my DPMS 308 for the first time..

I was very impressed at 300 yrs and with cheap ammo.

Question, do you need to let it cool as much like with a bolt action 308 ?

I thought they are as tough as a .223 ar15 ?

One guy made a comment that I should only shoot 5 rnd or so and let it cool for 30 mins ??

Suggestions ??

Thanks.
John
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
congrats on your rifle and the fine shooting!  I also have a DPMS308, started out with a 24", bought a 16" upper, and wound up selling the 24" because the 16" shoots just as well....shooting little groups got boring, and I haven't shot paper with it for several months.....I picked up a jar of paintballs and a big bag of golf tees instead, and all the way out to 200 yds, they don't stand a chance when I use good ammo and do my part--mine seems to prefer Winchester Ballistic Tip Supreme, 168gr over anything else I've tried, including Black Hills.  For backyard plinking at 75-100 yds, I just use s. african or aussie surplus with similar results.

(If you email that target to Joe Carlson at DPMS  [[email protected]], he might send you some goodies---I got a shoulder patch, a few window stickers and a hat for my 200 yd 7/8" group)
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I was shooting one round every 30 seconds for about 12 minutes for a total of 25 rds.  I noticed very little elevation change.  I wouldn't shoot it until the hand guard was too hot to handle but I have never really babied any of my gas operated rifles.

Quoted:
I just shot my DPMS 308 for the first time..

I was very impressed at 300 yrs and with cheap ammo.

Question, do you need to let it cool as much like with a bolt action 308 ?

I thought they are as tough as a .223 ar15 ?

One guy made a comment that I should only shoot 5 rnd or so and let it cool for 30 mins ??

Suggestions ??

Thanks.
John

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top