Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 7:15:15 PM EDT
I am thinking about geting one of these rifles, but I am undeciced about the barrel length.  I read on another website that the 18" barrel has significant recoil and less accuracy.  However, the thought of lugging around a 24" barrel doesn't really appeal to me either.

I wanted to hear first hand from someone who has shot both the 18" and 24" rifles.  Is the recoil or accuracy really any different?  Secondly, how would you compare the recoil to an M1 Garand which I do have.

Thanks in advance for any input to help me make my decision

Graham
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the 24" and recently bought a 16" upper to go with it.  Honestly, I can't see too much difference in the accuracy between the two.  Both uppers have shot many cloverleaf patterns at 100 yds from the bench.  The 24" likes Federal 168 gr Match, and the 16" likes Winchester 168 gr Silvertips best. The extra 4 lbs or so on the 24" soaks up a lot of the recoil, but in either configuration, the recoil isn't anywhere near as stout as my 308 bolt guns.

I was toying with the idea of cutting down my 24", but decided to leave it as is for antelope hunting out west since it stays in the truck until I see something worth shooting at and bench rest. I'm using the 16" as my brush white tail hunting gun/SHTF now, and I LOVE IT!

I don't want to sound like a DPMS whore, so here's some negative input--My 16" short stroked the first 500 rds or so and had to be sent back to the factory for repairs.  I got it back in about 5 days, which I would normally call fantastic service, but it came back with the same problem.  I wound up installing a Fulton Armory adjustable gas tube ($60) and haven't had a problem since.
I've got about 2K through the 24" without a hiccup, and about 1.5K through the 16"--first 500 were frustrating as hell, after the gas tube fix, the last thousand were a complete delight.  Just make sure you get some steel mags with yours--the plastic ones mine came with SUCK!  Feed lips crack if you look at them crosseyed and rarely feed properly.  I bought SR25 mags ($125 each) for mine, but the steel DPMS 20 rd mags are supposed to be available next week.

Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Treetop, Colt45guy,

Thanks a bunch for the information.  I am leaning toward the 18" barrel because I am looking for a brush/SHTF rifle & portability without too much loss of accuracy.

I had heard of the mag problems.  It seems that has been a very long-standing issue.  However, I hear that relief is in sight from DPMS (I hope).  Also the AWB sunset may help since more players may get in the the mag game.  It is just too bad that the only option was to buy the overpriced KAC mags until recently.

What about the recoil?  What are your observations on that and how does it compare to a Garand?  I am veryinterested in the controllability of the 18" barrel in rapid follow-up fire.

Regards,

Graham
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
the recoil on my 16" is easily manageable.  quick follow up shots are a snap.  They're even easier with the 24" (considerably heavier)

Personally, I don't se much difference between 16" and my wife's AR M4gery when comparing recoil.  If you're used to shooting a Garand, you're gonna be grinning like a fool when you shoot the DPMS 308.  I talked to Shane at DPMS sales on Friday, and he told me the steel mags would be available in about a week.  He didn't have a price yet, but said they would be 'considerably less than KAC'
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt45Guy,

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.  It is greatly appreciated and I'll let you know what I get.

Graham
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My buddy Tank has the same problem with his rifle... I'm gonna pass on the tip about the adjustable gas tube. Any suggestions on a source, or would Fulton Armory direct be the best bet?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
contact Fulton Armory direct from the Industry Board.  Great people to work with, and SUPER FAST shipping.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
get a normal gas block... less things to go wrong (trust me)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
jar3ds,  which gas block did you get?    my 18 inch barrel has been short stroking since i have had it, swapped my buds gas block and tube out on mine and it ran lots better.  also my block fits on my barrel a lot looser than his did.  its been a pain since i have had it, bought a stoner mag and it still jammed.  just dont seem to be getting enough gas to cycle right.  thanks for any info
aw
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
get a normal gas block... less things to go wrong (trust me)

Now this has not been proven yet Jared...this could be one of the problems....but i think the problem is the mags personaly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
jar3ds,  which gas block did you get?    my 18 inch barrel has been short stroking since i have had it, swapped my buds gas block and tube out on mine and it ran lots better.  also my block fits on my barrel a lot looser than his did.  its been a pain since i have had it, bought a stoner mag and it still jammed.  just dont seem to be getting enough gas to cycle right.  thanks for any info
aw

do you not have a standard block?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the gas port in the barrel, I have a 16" and the gas port in the barrel is of center a little bit. if the hole in the gas block is not lining up with the hole in the barrel you woul have FTE and FTF problems.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
i have the factory block that came on it, was thinking you maybe used a different block.  the gas port in the barrel looks fairly centered.   i have done everything i know, swapped out all parts on my buddies lr and the only thing that didnt work on his was the gas block and tube.  even his plastic mags work in mine with his gas block and tube.  this is the only rifle i have ever owned that i had to work on more than shoot and enjoy.  guess i need to get another better block and tube.
thanks for the replies.
aw
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Check the gas port in the barrel, I have a 16" and the gas port in the barrel is of center a little bit. if the hole in the gas block is not lining up with the hole in the barrel you woul have FTE and FTF problems.

AW60... i bet above is your problem... or could be...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top