Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 1:40:38 PM EDT
Just assembled my first lower (go me ).  Put a mil spec CTR 6 position stock on it and it's shorter than my factory RRA 6 position.  It's probably only a 1" difference but it feels a bit too short.  

So, I can't see anything i did wrong with the build that might cause this.  I see magpul makes a 0.70" replacement but I can't imagine that will help much plus it's ~$20.  

It's not a huge deal but is there anything else I can try?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a couple of pics I took.  Not great quality.  And I lined them up by the castlenuts.  MIght just be the angle I took the pics but they are as close as I can get them.

You see more threads of the buffer tube on the RRA lower.  You think I could back off one turn on the PSA lower (the one with the CTR stock)?  I can't imagine it making much of a difference.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If you back the receiver extension out one full turn you will render the buffer retaining pin useless.

Pulling the stock out to one of the available positions doesn't satisfy your length issues ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you back the receiver extension out one full turn you will render the buffer retaining pin useless.

Pulling the stock out to one of the available positions doesn't satisfy your length issues ?
View Quote

Well, that's my whole point.  The CTR, in it's fully extended state, is shorter than my RRA stock.  It's just surprising how 1" feels so different.  I'm sure I could get used to it but if I can figure out a way to gain back that inch then I would like to.

Maybe the issue isn't the stock but the buffer tube's length?  It's this one from PSA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Pull the stocks, I'd be willing to bet that the RRA is a commercial, "slant back" receiver extension, and therefore longer than the "flat back" type, which is probably where the extra length is coming from.  

I would just use the MagPul enhanced butt-pad and call it good.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I run my stocks collapsed all the way. Easier for me to control the gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
OP are you 6'6 with incredibly long arms? Most people I see with the stock fully extended are shooting with shitty form.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pull the stocks, I'd be willing to bet that the RRA is a commercial, "slant back" receiver extension, and therefore longer than the "flat back" type, which is probably where the extra length is coming from.  

I would just use the MagPul enhanced butt-pad and call it good.  

~Augee
View Quote

Pretty much

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
as stated a couple posts up..
get used to being closer to the action.

get compact in your grip/stance and it will tighten your groups and ability to wield the weapon.

some people shoot with the stocks fully collapsed. (that's too close for my frame, but I am usually at the first stop)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top