Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 11:11:48 PM EDT
Hey guys so I'm planning an upper build in .223/wylde and was looking for advice.  This configuration will run suppressed only, with an SRT Arms Hurricane XL can.  Now SRT said they'll only warranty the suppressor on barrel lengths over 10.5" but I'm willing to risk it on a 9-10" or longer (in talking to techs at Noveske and Seekins, it sounds like the projectile will stabilize perfectly fine, and anything to the contrary may be myth).
To start, I'm looking at Black Hole Weaponry's barrels but they are pricey.  I already have a 10" 300 BLK and it's great.  Neither that upper nor this .223 will be anything more than a hunting/plinking gun, FYI.  I was thinking Black Hole because they have a 9.5" model that can be fluted and cerakoted, both of which I'm in the market for.

The question is, does anyone know of other options?  Maybe chopping 1" off a 10.5" would be cheaper, from another manufacturer?

There are a lot of handguards out there offering greater inside diameter 1.5"+, but I really have my eye on the monolithic receivers from Aero Precision, so if anyone has some input that would be greatly appreciated.  Again, they're pricey, but somehow the expensive stuff always draws me in.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up an HM defense pistol yesterday.  They just started building ARs this spring. First impressions are really good, optic inbound so range report next week.

They have what you are looking for parts wise, my pistol came with a 9.5 fluted barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up, site looks good.  I'm guessing you did a little research and liked what you heard?

This is my first build actually; I've only tinkered with minor parts here and there, so hopefully it turns out alright
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of problems here.

BHW barrels are hit or miss.

10.5s can't be shortened. The gas port is near the end of the barrel already.

A can under a tube will make everything very hot.

Why get a short barrel and a long can?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Because the fat muzzle device protruding from beneath a rail is the current fad here. Don't go to the pistol subforum or your head will explode trying to figure out its popularity.

OP, do you find yourself clearing rooms or fighting from vehicles so frequently that chopping an inch off the barrel justifies second guessing the engineers who built the suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because the fat muzzle device protruding from beneath a rail is the current fad here. Don't go to the pistol subforum or your head will explode trying to figure out its popularity.

OP, do you find yourself clearing rooms or fighting from vehicles so frequently that chopping an inch off the barrel justifies second guessing the engineers who built the suppressor?
View Quote

Oh snap. Valid point though. ^^
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Seriously, though, if you need something that short for actual life and death purposes, I'd look at 300 instead of 5.56.

Nothing wrong with "because it looks cool" (I have those kinds of guns myself), but let's be honest about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up, site looks good.  I'm guessing you did a little research and liked what you heard?

This is my first build actually; I've only tinkered with minor parts here and there, so hopefully it turns out alright
View Quote

My father in-law got me a Luxus (HM sister company, same owners) a few years back for Christmas and it's the best looking rifle I own, saw their prototype AR at shot show this year and liked the lower a lot so decided to pull the trigger on one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of problems here.

BHW barrels are hit or miss.

10.5s can't be shortened. The gas port is near the end of the barrel already.

A can under a tube will make everything very hot.

Why get a short barrel and a long can?
View Quote

I read that about Black Hole so I'm starting to go in a different direction, probably HM.  Glad you told me about the 10.5" port; I've seen people suggesting chopping barrels like it ain't no thang.

As for the long can, that Hurricane XL has been sitting in the safe for 6 years now because all I do is shoot my 300 BLK.  The cost of ammo has prompted me to get another 5.56, and I'm selling my old one (Sig 556).  I wanted a shorter barrel 1) because I already have the SBR stamp with 5.56 on it, so why not take advantage and 2) this will just be a plinking gun so I'm not too concerned with accuracy.

When you say the gas tube will get hot, I assume you mean because it's too close to the can, and heat will get trapped by the handguard?  Pardon my stupidity, but what would you need to do to make sure this doesn't happen?  Use a barrel whose gas port is further from the tip of the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The handguard will get hot because the can will radiate heat into it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha good point.  What I was going for, more than tacticool, was just a unique looking upper that takes advantage of the can and SBR stamps I already have.  So, yeah, tacticool.

On second thought 10.5 may be the safer route, huh
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The handguard will get hot because the can will radiate heat into it.
View Quote

Serious question: these minimalist handguards that "dissipate heat" (Seekins, Spike's SAR) won't do enough to mitigate that?

Was hoping with a 1.8" ID on the rail, there would be enough space, combined with rail panels, that this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the pointers, Jack
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You can put rail panels over stuff and come out OK but you're looking at a huge handguard. Better just to get a shorter one.

If I had a thread on I would by a 14.5" MRP CQB and cut the barrel back for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top