Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 5:51:49 PM EDT
Here's the punchline: I have a complete Bushmaster lower that I bought in 2002 or so, and it's been sitting in the safe ever since.  I thought I would change out the buttstock from the collapsible "looking" stock...it's a non-collapsible from the dark days.  

I have a lower receiver block, and a spanner wrench...and that castle nut is not effing moving.  WTF???  It's as if they used nuclear strength Loctite.  I actually broke the tooth on my first spanner wrench.  Is there anything special that I might be overlooking?  

Yes, I'm trying to loosen counter clockwise.  

I cannot see that it's staked.

Hell, I'm wondering if I need to heat the nut up a bit with a Bernz-O-Matic.

No way should it be this hard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a chance threadlocker was used, apply some heat and see if that yields results.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They probably used Red Loc-tite on it instead of staking it, (dumb)... I would take out the buffer and the spring, then heat the receiver extension up near the castle nut slowly for a bit and see if that allows it to budge for starters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use a cheater bar for more leaverage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I also think you should use a bit of heat after removing the spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Bushmaster from 2010 that came with the same kind of stock. That castle nut was so tight on there I thought I was going the break the lower in a mag block. They dont use loctite but It took me forever to get the thing loose
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
HammerHead Rifle Tool with a breaker bar removes all castle nuts with ease.
http://hammerheadrifletool.com/HammerHead_Rifle_Tool/HammerHead_Rifle_Tool_Home.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you have a good wrench.  There are some cheap ones out there that only engage one notch on the nut.  Get one that engages at least 3 of the notches.  I use a RRA wrench, see link below.  If the nut is on there tight I hold the wrench firmly onto the nut then whack the end with a small hammer.  Haven't had a nut yet that didn't come loose using this method, including staked nuts.  I use a receiver block in a vise to hold the lower while removing / installing the nut.  

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-m4-stock-wrench-prod16882.aspx
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Done.  A little heat fixed things up in a jiffy.  POS "tele-style" stock is a shitty stock/buffer tube all-in-one...so I need a new buffer tube.  Regardless, I got it.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top