Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 8:52:05 AM EDT

Anyone else having problems with KeyMod rails coming loose?  
I used a Noveske 9-slot and tightened it down similar to how I would scope rings with equal pressure on each of the three screws; I attached a forward grip, shot less than a magazine and it was coming loose.  

I did not use Loctite – the obvious fix yet;  but I’m thinking that it still shouldn't come loose that easily.  Having a bit of Loctite being the ONLY think holding my shit together makes me a bit uncomfortable.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Loctite works man

I locktite everything on a rifle. Otherwise I will have it come loose
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Loctite.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Won't the heat coming from the barrel weaken the loctite though?  I can understand where the OP is coming from with his concern
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't the heat coming from the barrel weaken the loctite though?  I can understand where the OP is coming from with his concern
View Quote

I use blue loctite on my gas block set screws.

Never came loose.

So the heat from the hanguard will be much less than that of a gas block
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
No loc-tite is needed with key mod. The whole idea is to be able to quickly place or remove attachments.

Your inserts may have settled after the first torque and need to re-torqued. Make sure you have full engagement and the attachment isn't hanging up out of the key-way. Then torque. That should do it for you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No loc-tite is needed with key mod. The whole idea is to be able to quickly place or remove attachments.

Your inserts may have settled after the first torque and need to re-torqued. Make sure you have full engagement and the attachment isn't hanging up out of the key-way. Then torque. That should do it for you.
View Quote

Blue loctite would be cheap insurance.

And still very easily removed as it doesnt have a high break rating
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's saying the whole rail is coming loose, not the attachments.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks to me the OP was stating his 9 slot Noveske rail section was coming loose, not the Keymod forearm itself.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow I thought the keymod was suppose to fix this problem that a lot of tube rails have been having.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It looks to me the OP was stating his 9 slot Noveske rail section was coming loose, not the Keymod forearm itself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow I thought the keymod was suppose to fix this problem that a lot of tube rails have been having.
View Quote

I didn't realize there was a problem with round rails. I've been using Apex hand guards for the last few years. I've Never had anything come loose.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My thoughts exactly.   Loctite is useful, but but shouldn't be the only thing holding the rail on.
Ill try your suggestion lndyryder, thank you.

And yes, its the rail segment coming loose, not the attachment or the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I didn't realize there was a problem with round rails. I've been using Apex hand guards for the last few years. I've Never had anything come loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I have broken a picitanny section on a DD MFR rail and so have others, and I have read problems about the Troy tube rails having the same problem too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Just like lugnuts, need to re-torque them after the first few miles (suggested on aluminum rims)... I re-tighten every important screw and bolt after the first few uses.

Also, torque them down... Loosen them, then re-torque. (Just a habit I have from auto work)

Don't know if that'll help, but its just another tip
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top