Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 4:09:24 PM EDT
Hello, I'm new to all this as far as building an AR-15. I just recently order a stripped lower and trigger from spikes tactical, which I don't have a time frame when they will be in. My question is i'm looking for an upper and barrel that is quality and will fit the ST lower perfectly. I know there is tons of opinions as to what brand but, just wanting a quality build. PLEASE HELP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like Mega's. Very clean machining and finish. Also fit my various lowers perfect.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR_15_Lower_Receivers_s/3021.htm

if your heart is dead set on spikes, these guys have some in stock in right now.

receivers are receivers, buy whatever is in stock.  the only thing they are good for is roll marks.

as far as barrels, take your pick.  do you want a stainless steel bull barrel for long range shooting?  a lightweight barrel for a general plinking rifle?  what's your intended purpose?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks for the responses. I don't really need a bull barrell I think just plinking and home defense will be fine. Like i had said just looking for quality. I've read some reviews on knights and noveske, but don't get me wrong I would like it not to break the bank. I failed to mention something in the 300blk out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Check Sota Arms- I bought one of their 300AAC complete uppers minus the BCG. Looks great, fit my lower tight. I went to Shadow Ops weaponry for a "Blem" nickel boron BCG- $129
http://www.shadowopsweaponry.com/category/79-bcg-bolt-carrier-group-in-stock.aspx

Total, approx. $500 for both pcs- not bad for a 300AAC upper complete.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
for 225$ you can't beat this.  rainier makes great barrels and those are guaranteed to shoot sub moa.

eta:  are you wanting to build this, or are you wanting a completed upper assembly?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to build this from scratch, just so i will know the ends and outs of the AR. So the Rainer barrels are that good of quality for that price?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my upper receiver on an Aero Precision stripped upper. With forward assist and a custom dust cover, it totaled around 120-140 bucks. I already had a bolt and BCG, so I am not sure without looking what that will run you now.

My barrel is a 10.3'' Daniel Defense Govt. profile. Around 250 bucks. Depending on what length you want, barrels can be cheaper or more expensive. IMO, CMMG's WASP treated barrels are nice and reasonably priced.

Flash suppressor is a Noveske KX3. Around 120 bucks. Tons of options here. Choose what you want. Price ranges from 15 bucks to 200+.

All in all, you will be looking to spend around, for a quality built upper, around 500 bucks, give or take.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
So i guess most people first build with a quality barrel(cost in mind) vs upper.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So i guess most people first build with a quality barrel(cost in mind) vs upper.
View Quote

receiver?  I already told you, receivers are just there for roll marks.  they do not affect the function of the gun at all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i'm just trying to get a clue about the AR's and learning as I go..thanks for the help
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
check out the rainier arms Patrol REV assembled upper. That is going on my next lower build.

I also just finished up a new aero upper build on one of their cerakoted platforms. This thing is durable. Quality.

Then again, my bro just mated an Aero lower to a DPMS upper and it was as tight as a glove with absolutely ZERO wiggle
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Stag has stripped uppers for 100 and 120 with the assist and dust cover and delton has assembler upppers for 95.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top