Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:08:35 PM EDT
I'm planning my first pistol upper build, with an 11.5" barrel..  What I'm thinking of doing, is running a EOTech xps, and a Streamlight tlr-2, both of which I already have.  No plans for BUIS.  I'm wondering if there is any way I can mount the tlr-2 on the top rail of a railed forend.  With most railed forends I've seen, the rail sits at the same height as the rail on the upper receiver, which would be too high for the tlr2, as it would be blocking the view through the EOTech.  I don't need a quad rail, ideally just something with a top rail, maybe a smooth free float tube with an add on top rail...but if the only way to accomplish this is with a quad rail then I'll pick one up.

I've considered a railed low-pro gas block, but I'd rather have it a little further back, plus I'm mildly concerned about heat issues.  

For some reason, I seem to recall seeing a forend that had a "step-down" type of rail, where the rear section of the rail was at the same height as the receiver's rail, and the forward section was stepped down.  Could be totally wrong on that though, might just be thinking of an ak type of rail.

Of course, if I can't find a suitable method for top mounting, I will just mount it underneath, and be happy with that.

Anyhow, if this post doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll MS paint what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
VLTOR CASV-S

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]

That looks pretty nice, I was hoping not to have to use any kind of riser on the upper receiver rail, but that has me considering it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Not too many choices for such a short length barrel, especially if you don't have a FSP.

If you have a FSP, try the Surefire M73 handguard.  A lot of people don't like that the top of the rail doesn't match the height of the upper, but it was designed this way so top mounted lasers wouldn't block your view.  Lots of images on Google to show how the top of the rail is slightly lower than the upper.  This will suit your needs better if you don't want to raise the height of your optic. It's the only rail I know of with this feature.

You can find one used on ebay or the equipment exchange for around $100.  Very easy install.  The rail locks up tighter than any other rail because it used counter pressure between the barrel nut and the FSP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top