Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2011 5:35:36 PM EDT
Looking to put a YHM specter length diamond series free float rail system on my AR, and was wanting to see what the general consensus was on them?  It will be going on a 16" barrel upper with hidden gas block.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They work fine, but are too wide in my opinion.  I would rather have a DD omega x, DD lite, Larue, etc....
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I got one and dont really like it. It is heavy, big in diameter and the locking ring sucks. Other than that its OK  YMMV

ETA: Look at what TROY has to offer. Just built a rig with a TRX  on it and I love it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't help you with the specter length as I have a carbine length.  I love mine.  Went on with no problems.  Doesn't seem heavy to me, though my setup is a 16" lightweight barrel.  Also doesn't seem big at all to me, but I am 6'3" if that matters.  I like the look, the function, and the price.  Not really sure what DD, LaRue, etc do so wonderfully that they are worth 2 to 3 times the price. But that's just me.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/curtpenn/AR15shadowsmall.jpg
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]

I like mine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the midlength and is fine for me.  It is a bit wider than others but not too much.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on solid and sturdy.

but yeah.. a bit heavy... and wide.

if you are going to go for it i would suggest using larue index clips or ladder covers instead of rail covers like the magpul xtms... its just too damn big.

Consider the new samson EVO

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1 on solid and sturdy.

but yeah.. a bit heavy... and wide.

if you are going to go for it i would suggest using larue index clips or ladder covers instead of rail covers like the magpul xtms... its just too damn big.

Consider the new samson EVO

2nd the Samson Evo! Light, Solid, and Good Price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look at the TRX Extreme from Troy in 11" for a better option. The Troy is narrower and lighter and you won't have to cover rails that you don't need.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
For the money... YHM is great stuff!  I had one on my first build... you are GTG
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking to put a YHM specter length diamond series free float rail system on my AR, and was wanting to see what the general consensus was on them?  It will be going on a 16" barrel upper with hidden gas block.

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/10993/2570456750084397041S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm doing the same thing on the same gun and will have pictures hopefully by early next week when my rail arrives.  I cut down my original sight base because I preferred the security of the taper pin install over an allen head screw or a pinch bolt like on some of the aftermarkets.  I'll post some pics when I get mine finished.  I decided to go with the Midwest Industries SS rail series, I went with a 12" length and my Stag has the same 16" barrel as yours.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I like mine just fine.

Not as slim in profile as others, but a good rail for the money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My brother has one carbine length with an Magpul AFG2. We installed it.
The tube design that is wider works out well for thumb over the side rail grip. As far as for quality they are nice. I would not hesitate to get one if i was inthe market.
I cannot comment on the way it locks. The only other quadrail i have experience with is on my SR556 and came that way.
Dont for get update pictures!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
YHM makes good stuff

Stone
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the rifle length rail. It is wide and heavy. I think it was made to be used with a VFG. Magpul XT panels made it feel like shooting with a football. I went with a JP/VTAC modular forend after that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my rifle length on a 16".
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love my rifle length on a 16".

pics?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
"
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I put the specter length on my M&P 15 not too long ago. I'll post some detailed pics tomorrow for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I put the specter length on my M&P 15 not too long ago. I'll post some detailed pics tomorrow for you.

appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the pics I promised. This is the Specter length YHM Diamond rail on a 16" M&P 15. I removed the hideous railed gas block that came with the gun and put on a YHM low pro gas block. I also used the YHM black plated gas tube, which is a nice touch with this specific rail. Also you'll notice the optional end cap, which I like. You're not gonna beat the quality and fit of this YHM rail, but some people don't like the size and slight weight difference over some higher priced rails. Personally I love the size since I have large hands. If you have little girly hands then you may not like it. It was a piece of cake to install. I will be putting on a Magpul RVG soon as well as some YHM QDS fip-up iron sights. Enjoy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top