Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2010 9:25:56 AM EDT
With the wide selection out there, I'd like to narrow my search.
Also, do they affect accuracy?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#1]
AAC Blackout.  Vortex second.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Smith Enterprises Vortex

YHM Phantom

Both are excellent flashiders and unless they've been  recently surpassed, set the bar for flash suppression.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
unless they've been recently surpassed

They have
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
unless they've been recently surpassed

They have

Yeah, haven't been paying much attention to the latest doodads...over the last 2 years.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

^^ This ^^

then get the M4-2000 to go that lil step xtra
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

According to the video HERE, the Vortex has superior flash suppressing ability over the AAC blackout.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the video HERE, the Vortex has superior flash suppressing ability over the AAC blackout.

I wouldn't place the Vortex second. If anything, they're about on-par. I couldn't tell a difference between the AAC Blackout or the Vortex in the videos, but the NVD footage of M240s firing from helicopters using a Vortex made me a believer in the Vortex.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Both work amazingly well but having used both the AAC Blackout is better.  Its the difference between very little flash and NO flash!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Both work amazingly well but having used both the AAC Blackout is better.  Its the difference between very little flash and NO flash!

That's my experience as well, and they also seem to ring less than the Vortex.

Not that the Vortex is a mistake, they are a very close second and certainly a good choice for anything beyond the single non-suppressor mount version that is available with the Blackout.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Vortex and have experienced zero ringing. In all the videos I've seen, the flash suppression between both the Vortex and the Blackout are identical.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Vortex
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
AAC Blackout

Amazing flash suppression and it gives you the option to add one of their terrific suppressors down the road
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
AAC Blackout

Amazing flash suppression and it gives you the option to add one of their terrific suppressors down the road

IF you purchase the QD suppressor model. AAC makes a dedicated Blackout FH that will not accept a can.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
AAC Blackout

IF you purchase the QD suppressor model. AAC makes a dedicated Blackout FH that will not accept a can.

And costs half as much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
AAC Blackout

Vortex very close behind.

ETA: Why do people vote for one if they haven't seen the other?!??
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen older Vortexes that ring, but I have one and it looks beefier.  It also doesn't ring.  I think the Vortex, at around $50, is a hell of a deal.  Although I got the best accuracy from my SPRish build using no muzzle device at all, I got the best groups with the Vortex when comparing to an A2, Levang, Phantom, and one other that I don't remember.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My vote is for the Vortex, it works well even on my 7.5" barreled AR pistol. I have never used an AAC Blackout, but after hearing as many good reports on it as I have, its on my short list of flash suppressors to try out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've seen older Vortexes that ring, but I have one and it looks beefier.  It also doesn't ring.  I think the Vortex, at around $50, is a hell of a deal.  Although I got the best accuracy from my SPRish build using no muzzle device at all, I got the best groups with the Vortex when comparing to an A2, Levang, Phantom, and one other that I don't remember.

That must be it. I did forget to add that I think the Vortex is superior because it's the only muzzle device I've heard of that not only doesn't affect accuracy, but will sometimes improve it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the non-mount blackout which is only about $10 retail more than the vortex and is a lot sturdier with only 3 prongs.  Most reports place it ahead of the vortex on flash suppression as well, but I have no 1st hand observation.  I got it hardly used for $45 on the EE and couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Smith Enterprises Vortex !!!!! IMHO

Look on You-tube at several of the vids on flash hiders

I run the vortex and it seems to me that it works well for what it is supposed to do.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#21]
For price point and effectiveness, I still like the Phantom II. Not the MOST effective but still does a good job at 1/2 the cost.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm really starting to like my blackout.  I didn't like it at first. (long, heavy, rings like tuning fork)  

But the difference between shooting with it and an A2 birdcage is substantial.   I cannot comment on the Vortex, but it was originally my first choice. But the store had one in stock and not the other, and they made them cost the same.  Couldn't beat that deal, so I took the discounted AAC.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
To me this thing is not really up for debate as a couple of well done tests have been performed clearly showing the AAC Blackout as the industries leading flash suppressors.  The vortex does come in second in those tests however there is a diff. in real life whether the videos depict it or not.....somebody above mentioned they might be close but its the diff. b/t a little flash and no flash....that is about right from my experience b/t the two.  

Now whether one justifies another $50 for a qd blackout vs. the vortex and the amount of gained flash suppression is debatable but not which F/H is the best as its already been proven.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top