Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:46:57 AM EDT
hey guys,

first post but have been lurking around for a while

as of late i have thinking about using a white oak barrel for my Mark12 Mod0 knock off/ clone build, since i couldnt find a douglas recon in 20in.( i know actual length is 18in) I am just looking for a little input about the barrels and the kind of accuracy i can expect, also if you have any other barrel suggestions please let me know.

thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I just finished a Mk12 Mod1 build using a White Oak barrel, but I haven't had a chance to dial it in and see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it yet. I believe you can get an SPR profile barrel from Compass Lake or CMMG. CMMG's wait times have been really long lately, upwards of 2 months according to some posts, not sure about Compass lake. If you are willing to compromise a little on the profile Denny's Guns (Global Tactical Supply/ GTS) sells a modified profile SPR barrel, or you could use a Sabre Defense fluted barrel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also be interested in hearing about the performance of the WOA barrel. I'm considering having a mid-weight 20",possibly fluted built on a free floated upper. Do you know what the lighest 20" contour is?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the 18" barrels and think it shoots really well. I am still playing with some loads to squeeze the best possible accuracy out of it.

This is the build (am going to upgrade the rings and scope later)

Here are some groups I have been able to shoot. Now this was with a stock trigger. I have since then upgraded the trigger and hoping this will shrink the groups a little more.

Best group so far......

Hope this helps !
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
WOA barrels have been good to me.  I own their 18" SPR barrel.

John Holliger (owner) starts out with Wilson match-grade blanks and either turns and chambers them in-house or subcontracts the work to Compass Lake Engineering.  The difference would be an engine lathe versus a CNC.  In my opinion, I think John takes more time and measurements when cutting his in-house chambers than CLE, but both outfits produce a high quality product.

Below are normal 100 yard groups for me out of my SPR build;

(100 yards, 5-shots, bipod, magazine fed, 77 grain BHs)

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
i was browsing the compass lake website and saw that they use krieger and douglas barrels, how would they compare in service life and in accuracy to a wilson match grade
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hey guys,

first post but have been lurking around for a while

as of late i have thinking about using a white oak barrel for my Mark12 Mod0 knock off/ clone build, since i couldnt find a douglas recon in 20in.( i know actual length is 18in) I am just looking for a little input about the barrels and the kind of accuracy i can expect, also if you have any other barrel suggestions please let me know.

thanks.

I think you will be quite happy with a WOA barrel for your build. You're right a Mod0 should have an 18" barrel but I too went with a 20" on mine, couldn't pass up a chance to buy a CLE Krieger. Here's a picture.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I certainly hope mine improves!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My friend just purchased a complete upper from John at WOA. The upper was built with a 20" National Match barrel with a wylde chamber (wilson blank). The fit and finish of John's work was superb. The first time out shooting this upper resulted in 1/2 MOA accuracy without any problem. I would highly recommend WOA.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Way to be vague.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way to be vague.

Alright, how's this.

Fit and finish sucked, and it didn't shoot worth a shit.  Better?  The barrel was sent back to John for repair (not replacement ) and I was waiting to shoot it again before I start bashing.  Results to follow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had good luck with a WOP ar15 upper that John built for me. He convinced me to try a PacNor barrel seeing that I didn't want another Wilson barrel. The group below was shot off a rest with Privi 62gr lead core, 1:12 PacNor barrel @ 100m with WOP peeps. Federal xm193 55gr prints better however for this twist.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve put three 18 inch SPR barrels on different lowers with FF hand guards and various flash suppressors.  Everything was great, fit and finishes. Each shot 1MOA or less.  Currently working on a 16 inch w/ mid length gas system, very nice barrel.  John and Paul at White Oak are very helpful and their work is of the highest quality, I’m looking forward to building a Varmint AR using their 20 inch Varmint barrel.  Good Luck with whatever you chose.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way to be vague.

Alright, how's this.

Fit and finish sucked, and it didn't shoot worth a shit.  Better?  The barrel was sent back to John for repair (not replacement ) and I was waiting to shoot it again before I start bashing.  Results to follow.

UPDATE:   It turns out that I just got a lemmon.  LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGG story short, John and Paul came through and I was sent a new barrel and it looks great, the chamber is good and the first 20 rounds of 77gr Federal Gold Medal went into 5rd groups of .6's to as large as .8's.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way to be vague.

Alright, how's this.

Hell of alot better than than the last barrel would shoot... And yea.. I shot it too.

UPDATE:   It turns out that I just got a lemmon.  LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGG story short, John and Paul came through and I was sent a new barrel and it looks great, the chamber is good and the first 20 rounds of 77gr Federal Gold Medal went into 5rd groups of .6's to as large as .8's.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My 18" WOA purchased from JTAC -

Shoots well but you must use good ammo.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Accidental double tap?

forgive me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#19]
My WOA 20 inch Varmint upper consistently shoots .40 - .75 inch 5 shot groups, using my reloads.  I have been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top