Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:04:54 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm thinking about building an SDM-R inspired "more accurate" fighting gun, and am trying to decide whether to go with the DD 12.0 or the La Rue 12.0.  They both look remarkably similar, however, I have no real experience with either.

What are the pros and cons of each, and which would you use?  I know the actual SDM-R uses a DD rail, however, this will not be a "real" SDM-R anyways.  

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
tagging for info.

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing, building a qasi- sdm-r.

My head is hurting trying to decide on parts I have no experience with

looking forward to responses

thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
both rails are top of the line.

personally i prefer the anti rotational device that the Larue uses and the steel barrel nut. i've galled holes in the DD aluminum barrel nut while installing a couple of their 7.0 rails...

the DD rail has more of the M4 handguard "feel", it is more oval than round, where the LT is more round... if you are going to be shooting primarily from rest (ie: bipod) or using a VFG, this really isn't a big deal...

the LT has the built in QD sling swivel attachment points which are a really nice feature... on my DD Lite rail i needed to spend an extra $20-30 to get the rail mounted ones...

i've used both, they both are top of the line. if you want to be as close to the SDM-R as possible get the DD, if you don't care, go with the LT - similar price, added features, excellent customer service, combo deals on the TD rail panels (3/$15), free dillo & hat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree on the above, both are top notch rails but the Larue has the added bonus as far as the rail goes. What about the Douglas barrel? WOA is pretty sweet too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are two that I built. The SDM-R with fluted Douglas barrel and ACOG uses a DD rail. The other is a version of the USMC SAM-R with Krieger Barrel and Larue 12.0 rail. Geissele DMR trigger for both. Leupold 3x9 MR/t M3 on it.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/IMG_0110.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/IMG_0111.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/IMG_0100.jpg
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the SDM-R with a Burris Fullfield II LRS and Larue scope mount
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/?action=view¤t=IMG_0161-1.jpg
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Any of the three rails mentioned (LaRue, DD, KAC) would work fine. I prefer the LaRue rail to the DD, I have held and examined both and the LaRue is simply a higher quality unit in terms of machining and Finish. I have not had a chance to handle a KAC rail and so cannot comment on it.

All will work, but only LaRue sends you free stuff with your order.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful rifles, guys, making my moneybags hurt,

What is a good source for those Douglas barrels?  And who has a set screw FSB?  

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I would be happy with any of those myself

Even the KAC RAS for a Rifle would be Kool for me
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Beautiful rifles, guys, making my moneybags hurt,

What is a good source for those Douglas barrels?  And who has a set screw FSB?  

Thanks,
~Augee

JTAC has the 20" Criterion DMR profile barrel w/the set screw FSB and flutes in stock.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's where the LT-HGs are designed, made, and tested.  

I see miles and miles of Texas ....

www.laruetactical.com/pics/range.jpg

Both hands on the yoke mister...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I  bought the Douglas barrel from Compass Lake Engineering. They fluted and installed it along with a set screw FSB
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]

the DD rail has more of the M4 handguard "feel", it is more oval than round, where the LT is more round... if you are going to be shooting primarily from rest (ie: bipod) or using a VFG, this really isn't a big deal...

I prefer the oval feel of the DD.  However, I went for the DD lite on my  SDM-R'ish build.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's where the LT-HGs are designed, made, and tested.  

I see miles and miles of Texas ....

www.laruetactical.com/pics/range.jpg

So THAT'S dillo HQ.

Funny how someone thinks of a new project then finds out that 5,879,430 people have the same idea.  After reading up, talking to some RKIs and driving myself nuts, I've made the switch from 10.5/14.5/18.0 to 12.5/16/20. (and 1/7 to 1/8)  I was missing the 20.

I went to the AMU site and found some specs and unlike some uppers, making the real deal is actually feasible.  But at the end of the day, I figured 1. if the AMU didn't make it for me, it isn't going to be the real deal anyway so 2. why don't I make a version (the vaunted "-ish") that I can do that MIGHT even be better spec wise that the issue upper.

Should have it together in two weeks but I did decide on the LT 12.0 instead of the DD.  I've never owned a DD but for me, with the exception of a couple of strays off the reservation, I'm staying with the brand I know, trust and will probably assure that I have no money in my daughter's college fund.  

For the upper, IMHO there is no finer than the Stealth.  I will not sit here and tell you that there are glaring differences in rail systems.  I'm sure there are quantifiable differences but I am not capable of finding them.  For the upper though, I can, at least unscientifically,  

I switched four rifles from excellent quality, forged, true uppers (Colt M4s) to Stealths and there was in each rifle with no other changes, a measurable tightening of groups, with my SPR being so ridicuously better I thought something had to be very wrong with it before.

Anyhooooo, nice to see so many SDM-Rs being built.  I can't wait to get mine finished,
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The United States Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDM-R) uses the Daniel Defense M4 12.0 rail, with a steel barrel nut.  If you are looking to duplicate the military weapon, that would be the correct choice.

+1

Not long ago, maybe six weeks, I talked with Jay Duncan of Daniel Defense.  Jay says that the steel barrel nut has been replaced with aluminum barrel nut.  Jay added that the Army Marksmanship Unit recently put in a purchase order for 500 units.

I have been extremely happy with all the DD M4 12.0 hand guards I've installed.

You cannot go wrong with this unit.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#19]
The LaRue is the least expensive and comes with the QD ring intergral to the handguard. Plus Mark and crew send you cool stuff with your order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top