Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2007 6:32:25 PM EDT
I have a Troy 7" and a LaRue 12".  Love 'em both, but there are so many to choose from and such a range of prices.  I read the big thread, but there aren't many opinions.  If I had to choose between my two, I'd take the LaRue.  

Which is the best out there?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned a Troy, a Midwest Industries, and most recently a Larue, and IMO the Larue is the dogs danglies.  Much nicer rail than the other two.  At least Larue tumbles their rails so they're not so freaking sharp.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Larue is great. I bought a 20inch from Modle1 with a  MI rail. Model1 is great, but the MI rail fells sharp and bulky compared to my Larues. Maybe its just me but I will stick with Larue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
PRI.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Subjective. I like the Troy design.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Very subjective.  Everyone will tell you what they own is the best.  I have a Troy, Larue, and LWRC SRT.  They are all great.  But, the only way to get the LWRC is by getting the entire upper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say KAC URX or DD Lite/RIS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
LARUE!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
This is very subjective.

Frankly, I fell LaRue Free-Float tubes are the best. BUT, that is just my opinion.

I have both Troy and Daniels Defense rails as well. Both are Tier 1 aswell, just like LaRue.

The LaRue stands above solely due to the shear quality of the product. Just by holding one in your hands, and using it, you can tell, it is a well made product and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course the only true answer to the original question is this...

The best is whichever one you own...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you think makes the military like the DD and KAC rails better than others?  What do you like best about what you have compared to what you've seen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What do you think makes the military like the DD and KAC rails better than others?  

Same reason they don't use Phantoms instead of A2 flash suppressors...
Just 'cause .mil uses something, doesn't automatically make it the best out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Great answers guys.  Stick, e-mail comming.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, I'm the first and only to say YHM.

I have a YHM FF on my RRA Midlength and love it.  My other rails aren't FF, so I won't go into them.

But as already posted, for me it's the best because it's the one I own and use...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If all you need is a foundation for a weapon-light, VG, etc., then I would say the KAC RAS

Easy to install (as easy as regular handguards) and rock solid

If you want a free floated option, then the LaRue, Daniel Defense (many to choose from), KAC URX II (if you can find one) or the Samson are great choices.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If your going to hang shit on it, any of the above. If you just want a light weight F/F tube, take a look at the JP/VTac.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Posted by CA_TX-Cop:
I have a YHM FF on my RRA Midlength and love it.

+1 for Yankee Hill Machine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned both LT and DD Lite rails.  Both are great.  My problem is that I'm one who tetters back and forth between simplicity (standard handguards) and decking my rifle out.  As far as I know, all FF rails require removal of the delta ring which is rather prohibitive with a non-NFA 14.5" rifle.  This is why my next FF rail will be the DD Omega, which is at least for me, the best of both worlds.      
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've owned both LT and DD Lite rails.  Both are great.  My problem is that I'm one who tetters back and forth between simplicity (standard handguards) and decking my rifle out.  As far as I know, all FF rails require removal of the delta ring which is rather prohibitive with a non-NFA 14.5" rifle.  This is why my next FF rail will be the DD Omega, which is at least for me, the best of both worlds.      

And it's the lightest rail made!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#24]
OK, I think I'm gonna go with the PRI rifle length forend on a 16" Cruiser UTE upper from Adco.  One last burst...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#25]
IMO there is no "best" rail, but there are several really good ones that are all (again IMO) equally excellent.  LaRue and DD are both no-brainers.  Troy I haven't used, but have an excellent reputation.  Others I've only read about.

Chinese knockoffs are worth what you pay for them.  I saw a guy at the range leaning around the side of the stall... there was a loud click and it just broke loose.  I didn't hang around to see what happened though, I had already packed my stuff and was on the way out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
KAC
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I dont own one of these (yet), but this thing is the cats ass.
Daniel Defense Omega
Daniel Defense Omega Rail Review with Pictures

No modifications needed to rifle, easy installation, free flow, very light weight, thin profile, and reasonable cost.  I dont think you can do any better than that.

I do own other DD rails and the quality is outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I have owned Larue, KAC URX, DD, Troy, PRI, and ARM's and I did not have a PROBLEM with any of them. I liked the Larue and KAC the best. I just installed a DD Lite and it was really nice as well. You wont go wrong with the KAC, Larue, DD choices. Great systems. Larue has the nicest finish IMO though. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Up until my last 2 builds I would have said Troy. I like their simplistic installation which was great for non-NFA weapons.  I recently got a upper with a larue rail and its very solid and well made also. It seems slightly less bulky also and looks great.  I bought another larue shortly after and will be installing it tonight. If its easy to install(NFA new parts weapon) then it is by far my favorite. If not...well then either Im a dumbass or I just wouldnt like it as much(until its on)

I also had a chance to get a DD Lite rail. It felt like a toy in reference to its light weight but was VERY well made.  what turned me off to it was that I needed to buy a special tool to install it(I got it second hand) and something about the gas tube being a bitch to get in.  It was so nice that I sold it in fear that I would get it dirty haha

Ive owned a KAC RAS II also and it was a very nice FF for the money and didnt require the delta ring removal. Just pinch it back and clamp it to the top rail. Pretty nice and the hump looked cool too but it was limiting on optics mounting options
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I knew there were better choices for a ff rail and I really wanted a larue,300 bucks is just too much, so for 389 bucks, I got a emod with extension,buffer and spring,vfg and a rifle length yhm ff handguard with endcap and I'm very pleased that I got it all for just 89 bucks more than just a larue.The yhm tube is very solid and Imo very good quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top