Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2007 1:14:18 PM EDT
I'm very concerned about the stock being damaged and then the gun no longer working. In rural Alaska and with bush pilots, snow machines, ATV's and so forth the guns get handled rough, dropped, etc.

I also have seen that in some rare cases with certain sever malfunctions, it may be necessary to slam the butt on the ground hard to free up the bolt carrier.

Lastly, although unlikely, I would like to be smash the stock over some bad guy's head without permanently disabling the gun.

With all this in mind what are some of the strongest stocks availalbe? For example, D&L offers a pretty stout looking fixed stock and ACE claims to have the strongest collapsable stock.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not sure if it's the answer you're looking for, but I witnessed a Cav Arms M4 stock deflect a centerfire rifle bullet fired at close range, about a foot behind me.

oof....

that must have been a show stopper!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go with either an A1 or Sully stock. Rugged, reasonable length, considering heavy clothing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the sully stock use a standard carbine spring and buffer or something proprietary?

I'm interested in hearing other ideas still. Not too fired up about the choices so far. I mean I'm wanting something really strong. Bash them in the head strong.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does the sully stock use a standard carbine spring and buffer or something proprietary?

I'm interested in hearing other ideas still. Not too fired up about the choices so far. I mean I'm wanting something really strong. Bash them in the head strong.

Tsh77769

Sully stock comes with the buffer tube it needs. It's a great stock and rock solid. Can't be beat: sturdiness of a solid stock and compact Length of Pull comparable to a collapsible out one or two notches.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't really want something that requires the use of a proprietary buffer. Though I may consider such an option.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
ACE makes what they call their Super Heavy Duty stock.   The bottom rail continues all the way to the receiver, so it reinforces the buffer tube.  It is suppose to be many times stronger than a std. tube. It accepts commercial collapsable stock shells, but they are suppose to come out with it in Mil-spec soon.  http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_76&products_id=291

Calvary Arms makes their plastic lower receiver which seems to be extremely strong ( I have one & really like it).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive broken a 93B  at -5 but it was with a old style locking Mech. Magpul replaced it for me and has since worked fine. I would use a ACE rifle stock. The pad is nice in the winter, keeps from sticking to the cold tube. I've cracked an a2 stock when it was cold -20, but the gun functioned. To take the gun out of commission you would have to break/bend the buffer tube which is pretty damn hard to do. If you do the but-smash you have to collapse the stock first, and even in cold wx it didnt/won't crack.

So all in all, any decent stock should work. Airsoft/cheap stocks and the like will freeze and crack like a mofo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE MAKES A STRONGER STOCK OR BARREL TUBE THAN D&L SPORTS- DAVID LAUCK ....READ IT. I OWN ONE OF HIS AR'S  IF YOU RUN OUT OF AMMO YOU CAN PUT SOMEONE AWAY WITH A WHACK ON THE HEAD FROM THE FRONT TUBE.

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_stock_handguard.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top