Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
I have never heard of these before yesterday. I was at a match and one fellow was shooting a 14 inch progresve twist barrel that reached it's final twist at 1 in 9. He claimed it enhanced accuracy. I of course was thinking but it's a 14 inch barrel?

Anyway what is the skinny on such a thing? My thoughts are that it might help in REALLY long rang shooting but out of an AR???

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A 14" barrel is not capable of good accuracy to you?  I dont get the comment.  I have a 11.5" barrel that is a sub MOA shooter.

I think progressive twist is a gimick but there may be some tiny advantage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Progressive or gain twist is nothing new, just not common in small arms.  IIRC, the experiments with it didn't show significant benefits for small arms, but helped with wear issues in larger calibers.  Also from memory I think it's used in 20mm aircraft cannons among other things.

This intuitively would seem correct, as I would think it would be pretty hard on bullet jackets, as opposed to large caliber munitions that use much shorter driving bands.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Progressive twist doesn't do much for people using jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
the S&W 500 and 460 use the progresive twist but this is done in an effort to help reduce some of the recoil generated by these heavy rounds leaving at a high velocity through a hand gun. This was done to "ease" the bullet into the rifleing and so as not to create more of a twisting action inthe hand. That said there is not much reason for it on a small caliber rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A 14" barrel is not capable of good accuracy to you?  I dont get the comment.  I have a 11.5" barrel that is a sub MOA shooter.

I think progressive twist is a gimick but there may be some tiny advantage.

Let me explain my statement. I did not mean to imply that I thought that a short barrel could not group well. It simply seemes that the whole idea of this lends itself to extreme long range shooting and that the technology would be either over kill in a 14 inch barrel or so minimally effective that it would not be worth the trouble.

That is all,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top