Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT
What is the difference between the standard and enhanced LMT Bolt Carrier?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
One (bolt) is standard and the other is unnecessary and not mil spec.

(enhanced has two springs, bolt and extractor are non-standard.)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The carrier itself is mil spec, right?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it tighter like a RRA, if it's not mil spec?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you asking about just the carrier, or the bolt carrier group?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]
i would go with the std bolt with the enhanced or m16 carrier.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT only have the enhanced (shrouded under the firing pin area) and M16 bolt carriers.

LMT also have two bolt assemblies, standard and enhanced with the larger extractor, double extractor springs and nickle plated.

I have both standard and M16 bolt carrier groups and they're fine and works good, I only upgraded them with Wolff extra power extractor springs.

I also have a rare chrome plated standard bolt assy which LMT don't make anymore, I'm going to save it for my future SPR build.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#7]
i run the enhanced carrier/std Colt bolt in my SPR.

for what reason other than acquired them in a trade, i dunno.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Wildearp.  I think Alpha-Romeo3 has covered my confusion on the subject.

What is the purpose of the shrouding on the enhanced carrier should have been my question, the bolt was understandable?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks Wildearp.  I think Alpha-Romeo3 has covered my confusion on the subject.

What is the purpose of the shrouding on the enhanced carrier should have been my question, the bolt was understandable?

The bolt carrier on the left is the standard AR-15 and the one on the right is the "enhanced AR-15" and M16 bolt carriers (the other carriers on the right are the same just different picture angle).

The shrouded firing pin design actually was a M16 bolt carrier design.

When they originally designed the AR-15 bolt carriers additional metal was removed on the underside to expose the collar of the firing pin.

This is intended to catch the hammer and prevent firing if the carrier is not fully forward when the hammer releases.

This occurs if the hammer is "riding" the carrier back (i.e. no auto sear is holding back the hammer).

On the M16 bolt carriers, the firing pin collar is not exposed which is the same as the enhanced AR-15 bolt carriers.

LMT, CMT/ Stag Arms and other manufacturers added the firing pin shroud to the AR-15 enhanced bolt carriers to prevent the hammer from rubbing the firing pin collar and causing the firing pin-retaining pin to become bent or break.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, now I understand too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay guys I have a LMT 14.5 M4 type upper

It came with a AR15 CMT carrier and Bolt?

Can I just order the Standard LMT M16 Bolt/carrier

and have it work with my Lower parts? the AR15 hammer??

Thanks

Althought Ive been told that CMT are good I kinda wanted LMT parts only?

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It came with a CMT carrier and Bolt? hinking.gif

Can I just order the Standard LMT M16 Bolt/carrier

and have it work with my Lower parts? the AR15 hammer??

Thanks

Thanks for your help

Yes the standard LMT M16 BCG will work with an AR15 hammer/lpg. It is exactly the same as the CMT M16 BCG actually, nice thing about milspec parts that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I would stick with the LMT carrier. They are staked properly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I forgot to add that the LMT came with the AR15 standard CMT B.C.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It came with a CMT carrier and Bolt?

Can I just order the Standard LMT M16 Bolt/carrier and have it work with my Lower parts? the AR15 hammer??

Thanks

Thanks for your help

+1 Yes, you could use the LMT M16 BCG with any brand AR-15 hammers.

Not all CMT BCG (bolt assy) are MPI inspected, you have to specify it when you buy it.

All LMT BCG's bolt assy are each and everyone, MPI inspected.

I bought a LMT M16 BCG when I bought my LMT M4 16" upper and Defender 2000 lower.

LMT M16 BCG are available at the Equipment Exchange from sellers like Bravo Co., Denny's Global Tactical, G&R Tactical, JTAC Supply, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Paul would of sent it out with a LMT B/C but didnt have any at the time?
Plus I didnt tell him what I wanted? I just thought LMT complete Uppercame with it?
Im still happy as hell with this UPPER! I can eat out the 10 ring with 77gr.BH on a 50yard small bore Target
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Never Mind
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, I see that my Rock River Arms Entry Tactical has an enhanced type bolt carrier, who makes it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What is the difference between the standard and enhanced LMT Bolt Carrier?

You guys a somewhat confused about knowing what a LMT enhanced carrier is:

A LMT enchanced carrier (F/A or Semi) has more gas dwell time. IE: 3 gas holes on side of carrier.

A LMT standard carrier (F/A or Semi) same as your "enhanced" by other makers. Has the standard 2 gas holes on side or carrier.

All the above from LMT have shrouded firing pins.

ETA: www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, now I see the enhanced bolt carrier in the LMT website, they didn't show them there before.

Per the LMT website the enhanced bolt carrier assembly only (no bolt assy) is priced at $120 and the standard one are $88.80 (same price for semi/ full auto).

LMT BCG website link
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#21]
What spooge said.  Also, note the rounded raised lip on the face of the LMT enhanced  bolt carrier.

Don't use them in less than 14.5" guns.  The enhanced bolt works fine in all lengths!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Excellent!  Thanks for the clarification.  

I have learned more about my AR15 in the last few weeks on this site than I did in the 12 years prior since I bought it. hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
COOL  Good INFO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top