[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow... you are showing your age...

Now I do know that "Hollaback Girl" is a remix of Queen's "We Will Rock You"

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

The youngens call it "sampling" . . . i think ?

Now about Gwen
I am gonna have to double check my ipod.
"That's right, put your pom-poms down, getting everybody fired up"

Ahhh... but to truley be hip (and owning an iPod is not hip), one must have music that features "mashing" that is recording a new "mix" directly over the top of an old song... you have heard a good example in the Dodge commercial with the rap cover over the great "Hair of the Dog" by the Naz'

It is kind of cool really... can I still say cool?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
cool is cooler if you put "way" in front of it

"way cool". . . . .

Hells Yeah...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Monolithic" is a description and "The Monolith" is a name

I find it pretty intellectually dishonest and don't think it will hold up to any competent attorney. I also think that by using the "Monolith" LaRue is riding LMT's coat tails.

Anyone have the video of Vanilla Ice explaining why his song was not ripping off David Bowie?

Well I guess LMT and LaRue should probably call up Les Baer and see how he feels about using "Monolith" or "Monolithic".  One of his pistols that had a full length dust cover was called the Monolith, if I remember correctly.

Seriously, this is business and if it ain't already Trademarked it is fair game for Mark LaRue (or whoever else) to apply for a Trademark on the name "Monolith".  Riding on the coat tails of LMT?  If the LT doesn't use QD barrel release then they're not even really competing designs. Competition is good and there's room for both designs in the marketplace.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
So LaRue didn't even have a proto of this at SHOT ? Oh yeah,where is the pre-order sign up list
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So LaRue didn't even have a proto of this at SHOT ? Oh yeah,where is the pre-order sign up list

The best part is that Larue can go from a drawing on a napkin to full production in about the same time as other companies that already have a prototype.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]

The best part is that Larue can go from a drawing on a napkin to full production in about the same time as other companies that already have a prototype

Ain't that cool?

More importantly, Mark is an extremely nice guy!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Must have one

After having just 2 of his products, the bipod adapter and a 7.0 - I am sold on the quality and craftsmanship.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the monolith?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]
If anyone trademarked the name "Monolithic or monolith" they would be riding the Colt M4 coat-tails.  

That's lame.  Monolithic is a term that reffers to homogoninity [if that's a word] it's not a product name.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright, who's going to jam a piston in there?!?!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Alright, who's going to jam a piston in there?!?!

MarkM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This thread has clued me in to the fact that LT is very near to where I live. Hell, I might bump into him at the range sometime.

I believe he's in Leander.

Chip McCormick is local too.

Yeah, I googled Leander after it was mentioned he was in Texas. I always thought LT was based in New Hampshire based on the engraved motto. I guess that explains the Texas outline in the logo. So many local big name manufacturers and ARFCOM posters, you're going to make me all self concious next time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Enough with the name crap, when do we see more pics? When is it coming out?  Whose feet must I grovel at to get in line for one??
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#19]

The best part is that Larue can go from a drawing on a napkin to full production in about the same time as other companies that already have a prototype.

Ain't that the truth....and then apologize for keeping you waiting an extra day and throw in a ton
of freebies too boot...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#20]
SHEEEEIT!

Anyone want to buy my MRP when these come out?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Ugh...we (the LW mafia) were over at VLTOR ogling the VIS and many of the observations are applicable to the Monolith. To fit the LW piston we would have to relieve some material from inside the top rail area to allow the cup to fit properly but this is far from being the major problem.

Right now, the barrel/ gas block is fitted then the barrel nut is fitted with a shim to take the op rod. You couldn't do this on the monolthic profiles. You'd need a custom barrel nut that had the shim preinstalled then install the barrel. Then you'd have to manouevre the piston assembly into place before slipping on the gas block. 48th Highlander and I were just discussing this and the solution we are looking at would allow the whole shebang to be pinned in place just like this. To access the piston you would need to remove the gas block.....

Simon
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ugh...we (the LW mafia) were over at VLTOR ogling the VIS and many of the observations are applicable to the Monolith. To fit the LW piston we would have to relieve some material from inside the top rail area to allow the cup to fit properly but this is far from being the major problem.

Right now, the barrel/ gas block is fitted then the barrel nut is fitted with a shim to take the op rod. You couldn't do this on the monolthic profiles. You'd need a custom barrel nut that had the shim preinstalled then install the barrel. Then you'd have to manouevre the piston assembly into place before slipping on the gas block. 48th Highlander and I were just discussing this and the solution we are looking at would allow the whole shebang to be pinned in place just like this. To access the piston you would need to remove the gas block.....

Simon

Simon...

Just FYI, expect some dims to change from the VIS you looked at, to the production VIS. I feel your pain on the non-removable top section dillema... we dropped the AR18 gas piston design a few years back, when it was clear the a composite upper receiver and continuous top rail would be the order of the day -- shame, as that setup is cheap and easy, but as you have seen, it is impossible to call the system "field servicable" -- If you would like, I can share with you the gas block locking system that we tested for the idea... it does allow the end user to remove these things in the field and not compromise the weapon in any way... it just further added to the weight and cost of the gun.

POF, Colt and that other one all work well with monolithic uppers -- of course you know the story of the co-delevopment of the mono and gas piston and how they clashed
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#23]
The captive 'variant' would work with a monolithic as long as the gas block was external. I'd use a 2 piece gas block that would either be pinned in place (more secure, cheaper, less user access) or  some sort of locking mech (less secure IMO, more complex/expensive/ More user access).

I'd love to have a VIS just cause they look so nice. It's an excuse to have DI.....

Simon

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
A removeable top-section destroys the ability of the entire upper rail to hold a similar zero- for re-mounting optics forward with night vision attached.  

That's most of the value of the system to me (the one piece top rail).  For those of us who don't have $8999 for a knightscope or other night compatible forward of the scope system.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, the bulk of this post is devoted to patent and trademark law .... and nobody even quotes the appropriate TRADEMARK laws.  (I did see a quote on Patent Law, I love that "one well-versed in the industry" part, seems the kids at USPTO have turned a blind eye to that on a number of patents, such as Jamison's cartridge patents and a bunch of software patents.  But I digress)

From the USPTO website (and yes, you can look up filed applications on line)

A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.

Is registration of my mark required?

No. You can establish rights in a mark based on legitimate use of the mark. However, owning a federal trademark registration on the Principal Register provides several advantages, e.g.,
constructive notice to the public of the registrant's claim of ownership of the mark;
a legal presumption of the registrant's ownership of the mark and the registrant's exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the registration;
the ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court;
the use of the U.S registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries; and
the ability to file the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.

When can I use the trademark symbols TM, SM and ®?

Any time you claim rights in a mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol "®" only after the USPTO actually registers a mark, and not while an application is pending. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration.

(emphasis mine)

So if noone else claimed it, Mark can run with it ...

Now back to the regular scheduled programming
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Now back to the regular scheduled programming

Thanks Marty! I was thining about the registration mark... that is cool for LT really. O am looking forward to seeing the new upper for sure.

I got that barrel, I have not had time to do squat though, on the road again today but will be back next week -- check your IM for soem questions

k
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for news.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top