BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that fluting will improve heat dissipation and harmonics. That is why i am interested in the amount of weight it will shave off.Weight reduction is the topic, but other options(turn down,shorter length,etc.)have been presented or even pushed. You don't have to down the guy for briging up some other benefits of the topic

You don't have to be a topic nazi
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if I haven't said it enough yet...

It's been my experience with two fluted barrels that GOOD fluting,  that is, REAL fluting like Bushmaster or KKF, NOT the little surface marks like Randall has pictured on page 2, will save you a few ounces, and is NOT expensive ($50 from Bushmaster, $55 last time I checked from KKF).  Deep, substantial flutes in the barrel do make some difference, and I still can't seem to shake the notion that a heavy fluted barrel is stiffer than a medium profile barrel of the same weight.

BUT, I don't think I'd flute another barrel unless it's primary purpose was accuracy.  I'll never flute another chrome lined production grade barrel like RRA.  I'd get it turned down to .700 or .750 and get the same weight, and probably even an ounce or two lighter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
How deep does Bushmasters flutes go?

Could you post 3rd page for me forest my microsoft office screwed up & cant find disk so i cant look a calculator,etc.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
As a non-mechanical engineer, May I say it seems Randall is right on- virtually any post-production fluting is highly risky in terms of its effect on accuracy.  The stresses imparted are unpredictable, and may be severe.

If weight is the primary issue, I would think you'd be better off calculating the weight you want in the desired length, then having a barrel turned to match that weight.  This would allow the best chance at maintaining the given barrel's accuracy potential.

Unless you're willing to give up one or two MOA to look cool. . .
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have to be a topic nazi

Thanks for killing the thread...

Godwin's law

Actually, Since it appears that your are an Industry member, it is your attitude that probably inflicted the fatal wound and also killed whatever remote possibilty that I or any of my friends may have ever  used your services.  I'm sure that probably really doesn't mean much to you since I am an "unkown" member on this forum. But, you probably less than favorably impressed others that are reading these post also.

I have always been respectful of everyone on this forum, their topics, answers and opinions. Even some of the less than informed ones, to which any of my replies were humerous rather than sarcastic. But, in this case I am going to review the posts and see where it was decided that YOU were elected "Topic Master".

And while I'm sure you have already turned off your attention, had this conversation occured in your storefront (assuming you have one) the door would not have hit me in the ass on the way out and never opened before me again.  Do you care, no. Do I now, no.

Now, it is probably no big loss to you, but you'll never know.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As a non-mechanical engineer, May I say it seems Randall is right on- virtually any post-production fluting is highly risky in terms of its effect on accuracy.  The stresses imparted are unpredictable, and may be severe.

If weight is the primary issue, I would think you'd be better off calculating the weight you want in the desired length, then having a barrel turned to match that weight.  This would allow the best chance at maintaining the given barrel's accuracy potential.

Unless you're willing to give up one or two MOA to look cool. . .

When the flutes are milled into the barrel, if done with any reasonable caution, there is NO stress imparted into the barrel.  As Randall pointed out, he works mostly with the button-rifled barrels.  Those barrels are cold-formed and fluting them can relieve stress and give you some results you wouldn't like.  The barrels I am normally working with are broach-cut.  Like fluting, broach cutting a barrel does not add stress.  

I have fluted at least 500 AR barrels to date and have yet to have one that had any ill effects when finished.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As Randall pointed out, he works mostly with the button-rifled barrels.  Those barrels are cold-formed and fluting them can relieve stress and give you some results you wouldn't like.

When working on a customer provided barrel, there's about a 95% chance it's a button rifled barrel because the likes of Colt,  Bushmaster, Rock River, LMT and CMT all use button rifled barrel blanks from various makers.
I have no control over this.

There is no doubt about that.  That's why I don't flute ANY barrel that I don't provide.  Early on I used some Wilson blanks.  I stress relieved them, flutted them and never had any problems, but by the time you have all that work into a barrel, it's barely worth it.   I am busy enough now I just don't flute barrels that come in off the street.   When I get blanks in I spend a couple of days fluting.  That way I actually make some money on the process.  My fixtures are fairly high-speed but I have to change the fixtures around on the mill-table when changing from under the hand guard to in front of the gas-block.  If I do 15 or 20 barrels at a time, the time it takes to switch the fixtures once is not bad.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am going to review the posts and see where it was decided that YOU were elected "Topic Master".

I was never elected "Topic Master" and my reply was not meant to be sarcastic.
You mentioned other aspects of fluting and I simply stated that it is not within the scope of the topic:"weight saved from fluting?"
KarbineKid then also stated that he is aware of the other aspects, but his question pertains purely to the weight aspects...

Quoted:
I know that fluting will improve heat dissipation and harmonics. That is why i am interested in the amount of weight it will shave off.Weight reduction is the topic

Should I tell you "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" as not to offend?

Randall, I'm sorry I took it the wrong way. I've been jumped on by professionals and should have known better. Neither of the two salutations would, will, or do offend me.  And I do wish you a Merry Christmas.  But honestly, after 62 of these events it is getting to where I am well suited to the "Bah, Humbug" group to the current atmosphere of the season, but not the persons.  

And Happy New year, BTW.  And down here in Texas, I think the Spanish version is appropriate for our industry members, "Prospero Ano Nuevo" or "have a prosperous New Year".

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I am in allaspects of fluting possitive and nagative. Never stated  i was purely interested in weight of fluting.You missunderstood my statement

I appreciated feds input as well as yours randall and anyone elses.

I do not offend easily.MERRY CHRISTMAS
...and GO BEARShy
Can a med profile be fluted?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
No one can tell me the lightest profile that can be fluted? Or if a medium profile can be fluted?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 Randall.  What profile barrel can be fluted has much to do with "who" is fluting it and "what" the barrel is going to be used for.

The example of not fluting from the FSB to the muzzle on any barrel under .750".  I used to flute out to the muzzle when the diameter was .750" but found subtle degradation in accuracy.  I found that fluting, with the profile cutter I was using, could cause the barrel in front of the FSB turn into a tuning fork.   Now my minimum diameter that I will flute out to the muzzle is .860".  Now if that barrel was used as CQB weapon, the subtle degradation in accuracy would not be an issue.

And like Randall said, depending on how far down the barrel you go will dictate how deep you can go.  On bull barrels I flute .020" deeper from the FSB to the muzzle.

It all enters into the mix:  Who's doing the fluting,  What's the barrel going to be used for.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top