Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 8:59:00 AM EDT
I am fixen to buy an AR-15 and was wondering if anybody knows anything about the guns that Model 1 sales.com sells?  Are these good guns?  Im just starting out and would appreciate any info.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
For your first kit (you're planning on building with a kit right?) I wouldnt go with model 1. Try Del Ton, they are great and I have yet to hear anything bad about them. To make the story short, I bought a kit from Model 1, They forgot to drill the gas port and I had to send it back to them. They sent it back in three days however and their service was great. I have not had any problems with their C.A.R. kit yet. Get the Del Ton if you dont want any problems Del Ton

oh and welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 16" varmit Upper from Model 1 2+ years ago. The transaction was great and the upper works great...+1 for model 1 IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at their ad in shotgun news and i was wondering the samething.They are selling a 16 carbine kit for 435 thats cheaper than a upper on its own. I am thinking about buying it ,but i wondered about the quality sense its so cheap.This will be my first ar also.      
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard the uppers are okay(but just okay mind you).. it's the LPK that they use that is crap.

Personally...

I would spend a little more and buy a Stag upper from Teknic. He has them COMPLETE for $485 shipped I believe. Teknic is a good fellow, and he's a dealer here so buying from him supports AR15.com. Stag stuff is TOP quality.

Then spend another $60 or so for a decent LPK(RRA or Stag) and you are set with the exception of a stock(heck, you could buy a complete lower and not worry about it, but whats the fun in that?).

As always, YMMV!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For your first kit (you're planning on building with a kit right?) I wouldnt go with model 1. Try Del Ton, they are great and I have yet to hear anything bad about them. To make the story short, I bought a kit from Model 1, They forgot to drill the gas port and I had to send it back to them. They sent it back in three days however and their service was great. I have not had any problems with their C.A.R. kit yet. Get the Del Ton if you dont want any problems Del Ton

oh and welcome to the site!

+1

Starting another build from scratch.  Using Del-ton for this one.  So far quality has been good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys del ton and stag both looks like good guns at a far price.I quess all i need to do is flip a coin lol hen I cant own a standard lower anyway i plan on buying a non detactable from  vulcan its better than nothing at all . thanks for the info it helps .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Hello I just put together my very first AR .

I used a RRA Striped lower and a model 1 complete kit  - 16" car

and the fit and finish is spot on!! The finish matches the lower perfect!

I havent been to the range yet but i'll let you know.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I work at Model 1 Sales on my days off from the PD.  

Ours upper receivers are from CMT aka Stag,  Our barrels are ER Shaw same as COLT just marked M1S rather than C MP.  LPK is the same as you get from everyone else no mattter what anybody thinks or heard.  I can't name names but we supply a lot of companies with thier LPK parts.

As for the low price, that is so the average person can build an AR15 at  a reasonable price.  M1S passes their savings on to the customer.  M1S has a couple of certified Colt M16  LEO Armorers working there including myself.

We take pride in our products by building them as if it was for ourselves.

I think you would be very pleased with the upper or kit if you buy it.

srt205
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Our barrels are ER Shaw same as COLT just marked M1S rather than C MP.
srt205

Also marked 1/9 instead of 1/7.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ours upper receivers are from CMT aka Stag,  Our barrels are ER Shaw same as COLT just marked M1S rather than C MP.  LPK is the same as you get from everyone else no mattter what anybody thinks or heard.  I can't name names but we supply a lot of companies with thier LPK parts.

As for the low price, that is so the average person can build an AR15 at  a reasonable price.  M1S passes their savings on to the customer.  M1S has a couple of certified Colt M16  LEO Armorers working there including myself.

srt205

Does Model 1 do custom builds on request?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Our barrels are ER Shaw same as COLT just marked M1S rather than C MP.
srt205

Also marked 1/9 instead of 1/7.

Depends on the rate of twist for the barrel. We also have 1/7, 1/8, 1/9.5, 1/10, 1/14 on some barrles.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

srt205

Does Model 1 do custom builds on request?

Yes, we do custom builds from availiable stock. I view everything I build there as a custom build, be it a customers specific order or generic shelf stock. I am also a certified Colt LE Armorer for the AR15/ M16/ M4 series rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been buying kits from Model 1 for years now. When I've gotten a kit from them, there are sometimes minor problems. An example would be my most recent rifle, which did not have he gas port drill all the way through. I fixed it myself with my drill press and a set of hammer and punches in about 30min. Its not a common thing to have that sort of problem with them, but it does happen from time to time. I would say I've used about 10 or so of their kits over the past 5 years. I have also watched their quality continually improve. The only consistant problem I've ever had was the firing pin retaining pin is not very good, and bends after only a few thousand rounds. Small detail though.
I love Model 1. I always order something special, never just a "normal" kit, and they are always very accommodating. Their customer service is among the best I've dealt with from any company in any industry. My registered autosear lives in an Oly receiver attached to a Model 1 kit, and has had well over 20,000 rounds fired, with no malfunctions that were the the kits fault (I've had a few bad mags or ammo, that about it)
I built an 14.5" m4 kit from them with welded phantom (to make it 16") SOPMOD on a rockriver lower, and if someone wants to tell me how to post pics, I'd be glad to show her off. They are a good kit maker. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#14]

I have used Model 1 parts and been pleased with the products as far as uppers and bbls.

The parts that I was not happy with in my kit build was the bolt assembly.
The firing pin tip chipped off first day.(bought a new one)
The back of the carrier was eating away at buffer it was not beveled or cleaned up, cleaned up the halfmoon area to fix it.
It was posted over and over here that the bolts were breaking, mine was running along ok and thought about replacing it but did not, thinking to myself they all can't be bad.
WELL it broke on the first stage at a local 3gun.

My question to the Model 1 guys is have you addressed this problem?
It is well documented here with pics and all if you search.
If so you would be good to go IMHO. Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've heard the uppers are okay(but just okay mind you).. it's the LPK that they use that is crap.

Personally...

I would spend a little more and buy a Stag upper from Teknic. He has them COMPLETE for $485 shipped I believe. Teknic is a good fellow, and he's a dealer here so buying from him supports AR15.com. Stag stuff is TOP quality.

Then spend another $60 or so for a decent LPK(RRA or Stag) and you are set with the exception of a stock(heck, you could buy a complete lower and not worry about it, but whats the fun in that?).

As always, YMMV!

Just got a Stag upper from teknic as well. It was as good a transaction as you could ask for and the stag upper is a bargain.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my AR kit from model 1 back in August, and it became my first AR-15 rifle.  I built it on a Stag receiver.  I've been into FALs all of my adult life so I can't claim to be a expert on AR systems;  All I know is that this rifle is very accurate and reliable...it doesn't like steel cased ammo but that is no big deal.  I love it, and I will get another.

btw- the shipping was very fast.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#17]
double post sorry
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have used Model 1 parts and been pleased with the products as far as uppers and bbls.

The parts that I was not happy with in my kit build was the bolt assembly.
The firing pin tip chipped off first day.(bought a new one)
The back of the carrier was eating away at buffer it was not beveled or cleaned up, cleaned up the halfmoon area to fix it.
It was posted over and over here that the bolts were breaking, mine was running along ok and thought about replacing it but did not, thinking to myself they all can't be bad.
WELL it broke on the first stage at a local 3gun.

My question to the Model 1 guys is have you addressed this problem?
It is well documented here with pics and all if you search.
If so you would be good to go IMHO. Thanks

Triggerbender,

I have never heard of a firing pin chipping but it is possible I guess.  Did you send it back for replacement?

As for the carrier eating away at the buffer, my Colt carrier does the exact same thing but I shoot a lot at the range.  Out carriers are either Smith Ent. or CMT.  Some of our bolts are made by STAG also.  I am thinking that Stag had a bad run but not sure.  Those parts are covered under warranty for being defective.

If you guys ever have a problem, please let us know.  We appreciate feeedback and want know if there is problem.

srt205
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top