Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 12:21:41 PM EDT
Just thought I'd share some pics of the single point swivel/receiver plate I made. Hopefully the pics will come through as this is the first time I've ever tried to post pictures. I have been running this set up for the last 8 months in Iraq. Sort of a beta test if you will. It, like my M4 has been subjected to it's fair share of bumps and bruises from wearing it daily, getting in and out of vehicles and while on missions, aka. it has not been babied. It has held up better than I anticipated. So has the single point sling that zander829 made for me.

The first shot shows it in the horizontal position. Oh, I forgot to mention, the swivel rotates about 290ish degrees and is spring loaded to help keep the sling from getting in the way of your hand.

Second shot shows the swivel rotated to the left side.

Third rotated to the right side.

Next is a bottom view which shows the spring.

And finally the rear view for some more detail.

The stock can also be fully retracted without hitting the swivel.

Yeah, my rifle looks dirty in the pics, but I had just cleaned it. The flash picks up all the fine moon dust that seems to get into everything around here, it is not rust. The picture showing the selector on Fire was to get a veiw of where they milled off Auto and restamped Burst when this rifle was rebuilt. It started out life as an A1 Hydramatic.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Boom,

O.K. now the first shot shows it on the left side.

Second shot in the middle or horizontal.

Third from the bottom and Forth from the back.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
nice very nice
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Will he make more?

Cost?

Works for me.  If I could get my mill to drill through a latch plate I would have made myself a QD swivel mount latch plate allready-- unfortunatly the damn mill wouldn't drill the latch plate.   I'm inspired-- I'm going to go back and try another bit.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice work man.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all,

Reason I made this was because I really don't like most of the single point plates out there. They are either to high where you can catch them with your hand during clearing or to low and interfere with my thumb while engaging the selector. I also didn't like the possibility of a sling hook scratching up my (personal semi's) lower receivers. Plus I have seen a few sling hooks snag on something, break or otherwise let go and dump someone's weapon. This set up has been very secure, is a little more snag-proof, doesn't get in the way and there is no possibility of scratching up the lower. Though on this gun it wouldn't hurt it. As for the ability to get out of it quickly, I have a QRB on the sling.

Cost? never really figured out how much it would cost to build these. I made this one out of parts I had laying around the shop. A little time spent on the Mill, Lathe and Drillpress and I phosphated the parts when I was doing another project. I worked on it whenever it was slow or I was inspired, so I never figured out how long it would take to build one.

I guess when I get back I'll have to sit down and actually take some measurements and make a drawing so it can be reproduced.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it! If your willing, fill us in on the details of how it’s made!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good!! Now, make a blueprint...get a lawyer..GET A PATENT
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
WpnsMan,

Nice!

If you manuf/market these, I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
That's nice. Care to post some do it yourself directions??  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They are either to high where you can catch them with your hand during clearing or to low and interfere with my thumb while engaging the selector.

Damn near ripped a finger nail off on one while practicing clearance drills.  This is ingenious.  Great work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Check this out.  

JUST A CAUTIONARY NOTE: this is a non-spec stock alignment hole drilled to about 1/2inch depth to allow clearance for the QD swivel pin-- I wanted this to be able to take all standard swivels-- not just chopped down swivels which I believe may very well be an option-- I just didn't want my swivel to be the ginhea pig for that.   Another alternative is simply stacking two latch plates to allow clearance.

The stock does close on this one but when closed fully and locked it depresses the QD swivel spring-- not a big deal as at that point the stock holds the swivel in and when extended the Swivel takes over again and holds itself.

This was built on a DPMS latch plate-- the mil spec latch plates are far to hard for me to drill-- I would have needed to plasma cut them and that wouldn't work for this.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Green0, that rocks!

Did you just drill a hole in the plate?
What about the receiver itself?

***1/2" deep is the part I missed...***

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The hole in the latch plate is 3/8ths inch countersunk .430 through all but 30 thousandths of the 3/8ths hole on the opposite side.  It only needs to be .411 but that was the closest bit I had-- some metric bit.  

The stock locating hole in the lower I was building at the time I just sunk from .25nominal to about .5-6 nominal to give it more room-- I didn't run into the buffer retaining plunger hole so I was OK with that.  

That non spec DPMS latch plate was a little thicker than stock too-- maybe 10 or 20 thousandths.

I'm not going to try it again-- I was holding the plate with my fingers and lucky I didn't take a finger off doing it.  (its a real bitch getting my C- clamps to work and my drill press is a stationary deal.  (My buddy has a drill press the size of a car that moves to the part and that would be really cool for this.)  Then it would just be clamp-move-drill.

I'm sure there are companies that could do this a lot easier with EDM and stuff.  The TD plate is great but it should just have one hole to eliminate bulk in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info!

That has to be the cleanest 1pt. mount I've seen.
Excellent idea!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The stock does close on this one but when closed fully and locked it depresses the QD swivel spring--

That is one nice thing about this:

Also, the weapon does not swing over and hang upsidedown...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#19]
here's the website for the above pictured sling attachment. nice. but a little pricey.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Products.aspx?Cat=9
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Darn y'all.  I had convinced myself that the TD mount was the way to go for Christmas...now you've gotten me all messed up again and with so few shopping days left till Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Darn y'all.  I had convinced myself that the TD mount was the way to go for Christmas...now you've gotten me all messed up again and with so few shopping days left till Christmas.

I still think TD is a great choice because you don't have to disassemble your stock in order to mount the sling end plate...

TD bolts on and stays on.... or you can take it off and adapt it to another weapon with just a allen wrench.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still think TD is a great choice because you don't have to disassemble your stock in order to mount the sling end plate...

TD bolts on and stays on.... or you can take it off and adapt it to another weapon with just a allen wrench.

Whew.  Thanks.  You saved me.  Merry Christmas and may Santa bring you all the accessories that your heart desires.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#23]
This kind of helped me out because I got one mount for free making additional mounts cheaper-- I would like to have one on each weapon so I can use similar sling settups.  

I think I'll go the TD route.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
saw a sling mount like that in a magazine.  i thing it was the guns and ammo ar15 edition.  it was advertised on the inside cover.  should of bought it but was like $8.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I love my TD. And I won't worry about it breaking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmm,

Go away for a couple of days and Green0 hijacks my thread........................... just kidding Green0.

Glad I could provide you with the inspiration to finish your swivel. I had toyed with that idea myself but didn't like the fact that the stock would hit/depress the swivel as you found out. Modifying the lower was not an option in my design as I wanted it to be able to fit on any standard (issue) weapon.

I also looked at the X-180 swivel but thought a quick release swivel attached to rotating articulating "arm" was to cluttered and wouldn't get it out of the way enough to be a significant improvement compared to a standard single hook plate.

As for a do it yourself project it is certainly possible if you have the right tools available, as it isn't exactly rocket science. But, it does take more than just a cheap harbor freight drill press. A milling machine and the correct endmills are essential for a couple of the steps as is access to a lathe.

Didn't intend to use this as any kind of an ad to gage potential sales or anything like that,  just thought I'd share. I appreciate the interest and might have to seriously sit down and think this one out when I get back from this deployment

Wpns Man  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top