Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:32 PM EDT
Hi all,

I bought a Bushy Modular Carbine (wishing I would've waited 'til after the ban dropped.)

Anyway, is there anything I can do to the barrel to make it look less GHEY?  I'd like to put a brake or a FH on it, but the barrel is already 16" and anything would just made it longer and goofier, right?

Am I hosed?  Should I just trash the beautiful upper and drop some coin on an M4 upper w/Knights rail er sumthing?  

Please help.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to Adco for a threaded muzzle and an A2 FH.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Adco huh?  Will this hurt the accuracy of the gun at all?  Is Adco a top-notch gunsmithing joint?  

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  
They are the best for a thread job.  

Adco Firearms

As for accuracy, the change will probably not be noticable.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
ADCO will set up you up. It would look good at 14.5" w/ a phantom or vortex.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
14.5 would probably be too short and cut into the flutes

i have seen those barrels threaded with a phantom and it looked great. i would probably just leave the freefloat on there as is unless it was giving you problems

adco firearms can be found in the industry forum, they do great work and the service is top notch
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
if you think the flutes look Ghey, put a  13.2" LT rail on it after you have the barrel threaded and FS put on. then get some USGI mags.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya you can calm down the ghey factor by changing the ghey barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
or you could sell me that upper cheap and start on another one
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
There is always a weirdo on the EE who would want to trade or buy yours.  Cheer up!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Brahmzy,
I regards to your concern about 16" barrel plus flashider looking goofy, do not fear.  This is the setup that most of us have.  The primary reason for this is that if you cut the barrel, whatever muzzle device you decide to attatch will have to be permanent.  If you simply thread the 16" barrel, then you are free to change at any time.  Furthermore, some would argue that the 1.5" in shortness is not worth the loss in velocity, which turns into loss of effective range.  So keep the barrel, send it to Adco for threading and flashider install, and then shoot it lots and lots.  Maybe take a class or two and learn how to really use it.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey thanks for the replies all.  That's why I love this site.  I think you may be right about keeping the 16" length as the flutes would definitely get cut into otherwise.  I don't even know if ADCO will cut the fluted are (I sent 'em an email with pics.)  Here's a pic- the unfluted portion is only 3/4"  - a perfect amount to thread, eh?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
they should be able to make it work.

i have seen others that they have done and all looked fine to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Brahmzy, I have a question for you - do you know where that front sight post came from? I have a fluted barrel on a Varminter rifle but would like open site options. Any idea where I can get that clamp on front sight? hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
One more thing - let me know how that Adco threading turns out - I'd like to do it as well. hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/sights.html

I'll be sending my upper to ADCO prolly next week - I'll let you know.  I'll take pics and what not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I bought a Bushy Modular Carbine (wishing I would've waited 'til after the ban dropped.)

Anyway, is there anything I can do to the barrel to make it look less GHEY?  I'd like to put a brake or a FH on it, but the barrel is already 16" and anything would just made it longer and goofier, right?

Am I hosed?  Should I just trash the beautiful upper and drop some coin on an M4 upper w/Knights rail er sumthing?  

Please help.

img388.imageshack.us/img388/1217/modcarbs7ng.jpg

On guns with "Sara Brady" barrels like yours, I recommend our (KAC) MRE Free Float Rails.
See our web site (knightarmco.com) under "PRODUCTS" or Quarterbore's great site.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
You also need to ditch the Ace stock and get a collapsible type.

Gotta be Tactical ya know
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey Brahmzy, I have a question for you - do you know where that front sight post came from? I have a fluted barrel on a Varminter rifle but would like open site options. Any idea where I can get that clamp on front sight?

Bushmaster has 'em. I believe YHM makes them though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
ADCO said they wouldn't cut into the flutes...so it looks like I'm mailing it off to them to just thread the barrel.  So, will most typical brakes and FH's add approx. 1.5" to the length of my barrel?  I'm thinking the Miculek comp or the A2 FH.  
I guess I'll have to get used to the long friggin' barrel as I don't feel like dropping the cash to swap barrels out - mine as well by a new upper for that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I guess I'll have to get used to the long friggin' barrel as I don't feel like dropping the cash to swap barrels out - mine as well by a new upper for that.

Don't sweat it -- you'll be amazed at how different the rifle will look with a muzzle break on it.

In the category of FWIW, I would go with the Miculek comp. You'll like how the rifle feels with it when firing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I just sent out my upper to ADCO for a "thread."

I'll stick that Miculek on there and give some feedback.  Man, I'm gonna be without my AR for prolly 3 weeks.  Sheesh.  

Thanks for all of the advice!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just sent out my upper to ADCO for a "thread."

I'll stick that Miculek on there and give some feedback.  Man, I'm gonna be without my AR for prolly 3 weeks.  Sheesh.  

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Take a look at the Wilson or cav-comp's. They look "right" and work very well. I have the wilson on both of mine. They also do not seem as loud.
fwiw  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top