Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 5:15:39 PM EDT
I just got mine today from MSTN, who was absolutely great and problem-free to deal with.

I could not be happier with this item.  I have absolutely no stock in Vltor, and I actually hate their stocks, so know that this is a totally unbiased review.  The other units that I own or have owned are an ARMS 45m, a YHM 2 piece, an Olympic Arms FIRSH, a Knights RAS and a LaRue 7.0.

Packaging:

The first thing I noticed was how well packaged it was, which is something of a rarity in the firearms industry.  Each individual part was sealed in a plastic bag, and the bags were located in a really nice padded box.  It is nice to receive a product that hasn’t been beaten to hell by the mail.

Quality:

Upon removing the main unit from the bag, I was delighted by the quality of the machining.  There were no machine marks or rough edges or anything anywhere, and the anodizing was perfectly done.  I’m obsessed with metallurgy and machining quality, so this might not be as important to other people as it is to me, but this thing is really, really well made.  I’d like to find the person who designed the manufacturing process and shake his hand.

Installation:

Installation was a snap, and I was done in about 5 minutes.  I didn’t even have to look at the instruction manual.  Just depress the delta ring, push the top part down on the barrel nut, tighten some screws and screw on the bottom part and it is locked in and good to go.  The bushings in the screw holes are really tight, so I kept thinking that I was stripping the holes, but that doesn’t really constitute an issue, in my opinion.  

Rails:

The rails come in several different lengths, and can be screwed on all over the damn thing, which is really nice.  I hate using weird offset mounts, so this is a major boon for me.  The main unit is really comfortable to grip, also, unlike every other kind of fore end I’ve ever used, so if you don’t like vertical grips, this is the piece for you.

Some people like the raised top rail and some don’t.  I defiantly do, as it allows me to use optics with a much more natural cheek weld, because I don’t have to tilt my head quite as much.

Weight:

Pretty damn heavy, actually.  I had the opportunity to compare it to a very similar weapon with an ARMS 45 on it, and it weighs somewhat less, but still noticeably more than a LaRue.  I don’t want to overstate the weight; it is only a few more ounces than the lighter units, and it feels really well balanced.

Other:

The CASV feels rock solid, and there is no movement anywhere in the unit.  It clamps on tightly to the weapon and mounts crap wherever you need it, which, in my opinion, makes it a lot nicer than fixed rail units.  As I said, it is somewhat heavier than a fixed rail system, but the quality is much better than anything I’ve seen other than the LaRue, which is probably comparable.  In addition, the whole thing is really well thought out, and absolutely beautiful looking, far more aesthetically pleasing than any other fore end on the market.

This is my favorite rail system that I've used so far, with the SIR and LaRue coming in second.  This is really what the ARMS SIR should be, and what the LaRue would be if they were to make a uninterupted top rail unit.  The 4:30 rail is a thing of wonder, also.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The CASV feels rock solid, and there is no movement anywhere in the unit.

Thanks for the writeup.  The rail system is interesting, but I prefer conventional rail systems with a clean receiver rail, FWIW.

As far as the rock solid feel goes, I'd bet I could get it to move.  Anything moves with a 45lb dumbell hanging off of it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The CASV feels rock solid, and there is no movement anywhere in the unit.

Thanks for the writeup.  The rail system is interesting, but I prefer conventional rail systems with a clean receiver rail, FWIW.

As far as the rock solid feel goes, I'd bet I could get it to move.  Anything moves with a 45lb dumbell hanging off of it.

img397.imageshack.us/img397/3848/dsc007858ge.jpg</a>

mng,
that is the evilest test I have ever seen

Ya, people always claim that rail systems are "rock solid with absolutely no movement".  I had to prove them wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Haha yes, I'm 100% sure that a 45lb weight would probably cause some movement.  Pretty much all free float rails I've used have been solid, and this is no different.  I guess I'm saying that it feels solid in comparison to, for example, a surefire M73 or something.  It isn't welded to the receiver or anything.

I understand that a lot of people don’t like the uninterrupted top rail concept, but I think it has its place.  I mounted an eotech on it, and it works fine, it just doesn’t cowitness.  Because everybody worth their salt uses repeat zero mounts anymore, I’m not sure why cowitnessing matters.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
cost?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
What does it cost??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine cost $285.  Not cheap, but not unreasonable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
who did you buy it from?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine from Diamond Back Police Supply in Tucson.....They have someone they "KNOW" at VLTOR.....I think I got the last one.....At least for awhile.

I also found the installation a snap.  The only thing that I did after mounting it and playing with it for a day or two was to remove the front sling swivel.  Just drilled it out, punched it out, and put things back together.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I got mine from Mid South Tactical Supply.  They might have a few left, but you never know.  After this batch is gone, good luck finding more for a while.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
BTT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Mongo,

That photo got me thinking, if the rail bends, no big deal as long as the sight and bore remain in alignment.  Right?

A laser boresighter using a cartridge-based system and an optic on the upper, then see if the weight/deflection is transmitted to the upper/barrel interface, or is it simply bending the rail.

That would be an interesting comparison.

C97
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top