Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 12:55:53 PM EDT
Id like to hear your poinions on low profile gas blocks and which are best.  They must meet two criteria.  They must be shorter than a standard FSB and they must attach via set screws.

PRI and Badger are the two I am currently considering.  PRI is steel but Badger is supposed to be same dimensionally as Crane and is aluminum thus lighter.  Is there an issue with aluminum gas blocks coming loose?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure I trust aluminum gas blocks.  I don't have a good reason why, I just like good old forged steel at that point.  I know they are everywhere and doing fine, but that's just one of those things I can't get over.

Being partial to KAC equipment, I use them.  I like the LaRue, if you need to cover up old taper pin holes.  BTW, I will be making a few of my own soon.  They will be KACish with some dimension and design differences, but in that general configuration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
EGW alluminum gas block is cross bolted to clamp on. No set screws. This has an interfearance fit on the barrel, clamped with cross screws it affords a great contact area. Mine has only been test    f ired, awaiting a new scope mount. It does appear the thing will not move.
Btw, it was easy to index. I used a level on the bottom side with the rifle upside down. The dimensions of this piece are good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
EGW alluminum gas block is cross bolted to clamp on. No set screws. This has an interfearance fit on the barrel, clamped with cross screws it affords a great contact area. Mine has only been test    f ired, awaiting a new scope mount. It does appear the thing will not move.
Btw, it was easy to index. I used a level on the bottom side with the rifle upside down. The dimensions of this piece are good.

I appreciate the info but that does not meet the specific criteria I must have for warranty purposes.  It must use set screws and not be cross bolted or pinned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Zak Smith reported aluminum gas blocks coming loose at the 2004 ITRC due to the faster rate of expansion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Zak Smith reported aluminum gas blocks coming loose at the 2004 ITRC due to the faster rate of expansion.

But were they set screwed on from the bottom or clamp on?  Cant see that happening if screwed in place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The JP alluminum gas block uses set screws , fixed bore size. This problem could be forseen. It is also huge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the KAC gas block steel or aluminum?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the KAC gas block steel or aluminum?

Steel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been using PRI lo profile gas block on my SPR and I´m satisfied.

It is available parkerized and stainless.

MN
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have used and installed most of low profile gas blocks out there. I will only use the LT model. Their ability to hold precise dimensions is second to none.

C4

I am fairly sure the LT gas block is too long for my use because of the part that sticks out that is thinner.  What is your second choice which fits my criteria... short and set screw from the bottom?

What do you know or anyone else about the Jiga and Schuster gas blocks which are made to the exact Crane SPR profile?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Easily corrected by tightening the clamp screws while the barrel and gas block are at operating temperature.  Loctite to keep them snug.  I found that the EGW gas block fit the barrel so closely I needed to insert a wedge in the gap to get it on the barrel(0.750).  Once installed it has not loosened or shifted during several subsequent range sessions.

Paladin
gratuitous photo of SPR lite with EGW gas block(look close!)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Will the EGW fit under a Samson rail?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine sits in front of a DD 12.0. It will not go inside one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
During my recent Recon build I modified a LaRue gas block by cutting off the useless forward portion (about 35% of the overall weight and 50% of the length) intended to hide the lack of Parkerizing found on most civilian barrels.

I used a band saw and a Bridgeport Mill but I'm sure it could be accomplished with a hacksaw and a file.

Afterward I used a good quality cold blue and it looks factory!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I always wondered why that was on the Larue... good to know it can be modified.  Can you measure the length with the smaller step removed?  It needs to be the length of the Jiga or shorter.  The suppressor mount I am using has about two playing cards width between the Jiga and the suppressor mount collar.  You didnt happen to weigh it when you modified it did you?

Man... just when I thought I had settled on the Jiga this happens.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I can not get the Digital Calipers on it as it's under a LaRue rifle length rail but it's REAL close to 1" overall (give or take .020).

The block fits nice and snug on one of Dennys recon barrels as the two set screws are located in the rear portion of the block.

The cut off portion (that for some strange reason I still have!) weighs slightly over 1oz (it was cut a bit short since I finished the block on the Mill) .
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]

I need a low profile gas block that covers missing parkerizing that will fit under a Samson rail.  I want it as small as possible.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I need a low profile gas block that covers missing parkerizing that will fit under a Samson rail.  I want it as small as possible.

Any suggestions?

The LaRue is exactly what your looking for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Id like to hear your poinions on low profile gas blocks and which are best.  They must meet two criteria.  They must be shorter than a standard FSB and they must attach via set screws.

PRI and Badger are the two I am currently considering.  PRI is steel but Badger is supposed to be same dimensionally as Crane and is aluminum thus lighter.  Is there an issue with aluminum gas blocks coming loose?

Badger Ordnance is a Crane copy and thus it is steel.  It is thicker in the setscrew area than the PRI.

Brett

OK are there two Badger Gas blocks or one?  If its an exact Crane copy why is it slanted in the front on the Badger "speed block" I have seen?  Is there a seperate Crane copy?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I have used this one from YHM with no problems, but its not a set screw type

Heres one from YHM that fits your bill a llittle better

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#24]
tag for info
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the Larue, nice piece of gear. I'm very happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top