Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:03:06 PM EDT
... use titanium in the construction of their supressors?  I know its more expensive but would it not allow a much ligher suppressor?  I know a very few compaies do this but why not the well known compaines like KAC, GemTech, and others?  Are there issues with heat, strength, or what?  Surely its not just price or there would be special runs of the "light weight" versions of the suppressors for those willing to pay the extra cost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a bitch to machine, for one. Of course many use inconel, and thats not much better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not really sure except for the cost and the difficulty in machining.  I've heard one supressor builder express concern over Ti's sparking characteristc.  If you've ever ground on Ti you know what I mean.  It throws a very bright long glowing spark that can cause fires.  The Army is constantly pushing for lighter and shorter cans.  The fact that a few companies have marketed a Ti can probably means more builders will have to bend to that pressure.

-YJ
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The big thing with titanium is it's a reactive metal. Titanium reacts with many substances, especially oxygen, at temperatures over 800 degree making the titanium very brittle. It's hard to weld correctly as well, and will corrode onto your barrel by the process known as cathodic corrosion. Same as aluminum and steel. Machining titanium really isn't that hard, I do it all the time, but the rest is very challenging. Titanium also resists taking a bend, so stamping out the baffels to their convex shapes has got to be  insanely difficult. If it was legal though, I would make a run of titanium suppressors to see how they work
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
you could ask jetsuppressors.com about your questions.   btw, they use an inconel blast baffel in the centerfire models.    I don't know about the rimfire ones.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top