Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 11:51:57 AM EDT
A well respected kit company told two of my frineds pretty much that the unchromed barrels are alot more accurate than the chramed, so my question is how much of an accuracy difference is there between the two thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]

The manufacturer told your friends that non-chromed barrels are 'alot' more accurate simply because they don't offer/manufacture chromelined barrels...

The non-chromed bore may have a bit of an accuracy edge on paper, but in the real world with most shooters it's sure hard to see...  Like Troy has alway said, 'go chrome or go home'...

edited for typo...

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to buy a chrome lined barrel anyways but I was just honestly wondering how much of a margin of difference there would be, also the company does offer chrome lined as an option for thier kit
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not enough to make that much difference.   But...................if you're in to precision rifle shooting, there is a list of things that you can do to shrink down a MOA group.  These people start out with a match Hbar SS barrel and go from there.     What's your application you will use your rifle for?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Just plinking at the range and then eventually some classes and for use at the house if ever needed. My friends are just for plinking but they already ordered thiers, I am starting to believe that the guy told them to get the kit without chrome lining because they might have been outta stock but I dont know
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to be using the rifle in classes and for home defense, then definitely get the chrome lined barrel for the added reliability and ease of cleaning.  Practical accuracy will not be affected.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thing I have to add is to get soemthing like an M4 or a lightweight barrel.  Something lighter than an HBAR.  Having to lug around the added dead weight of an HBAR is not pleasant for 99.9% of us.  Any extra weight should be from something useful like a flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I was set on getting the M4 barrel from the get go
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah I was set on getting the M4 barrel from the get go

Whcih kit company?  I know that J&T's M4 barrels are heavy under the handguards.  At least they used to be, that might have changed.  Model 1 M4s are currently skinny under the barrel, though J&Ts quality is probably just a little bit better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The company that they were getting thier kits from was JT but I haven't decided who I am getting my barrel from. Any suggestions on where to get an M4 barrel in the 14.5 inch vareity thats a reasonable proce?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The company that they were getting thier kits from was JT but I haven't decided who I am getting my barrel from. Any suggestions on where to get an M4 barrel in the 14.5 inch vareity thats a reasonable proce?

Just go ahead and get a Bushmaster or LMT barrel,  You'll be glad you did if/when you ever put it through its paces in a class.  

If you don't mind not having the M203 notch, Cavalry Arms makes a 14.5" Gov't profile barrel that is chrome lined.  It is skinny under the handguards, just like an M4, but doesn't have the notch for the greanade launcher.  It is manufactrured for them by Sabre Defense, a British company with a reputation for quality.  It probably costs a litle less than a Bushy, but is a good way to go as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Knight been a big help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top