Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 2:49:55 PM EDT
Hello all. New member here. Has anyone re-hardcoat anodized their AR receivers? I'm thinking about  having my Eagle Arms lower (A1 style) reanodized to match the Colt Vietnam era A1 upper flat gray finish.  Are there any good companies out there that can get the proper color and finish for me? Also, anybody know of a manufacturer of a XM177E1 flash suppressor copy, per the Vietnam era CAR-15. Thanks, and really enjoy this site!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Noone does the Colt finish that I know of.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!

There are a few finishing houses that people here on the board have used, and hopefully someone will post that info here (I don't have it or I'd post it).  I can tell you that you'll probably have to settle for the current MilSpec hardcoat anodizing, which is much darker than the old "Colt gray," and you'll want to send in ALL aluminum pieces that you want refinished in order to get a color match.  Good luck, and be sure to post some pics here if you go ahead and get it done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I did a quick search and come up with some info for you.  Check these threads:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=202425

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=204068

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

http://www.shootiniron.com/
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I checked out the earlier postings, and I'm starting to think it might not be worth it. Sounds like it can be possibly damaging to the receiver. My Eagle Arms receiver is pre-ban, M16A1 configuration, and came with a very dark finish. I was able to rub it out to a fairly gray/black finish, more closely matching the Colt A1 upper, but definately not exact. Still, not a bad looking, and shooting, rifle from what was, originally a bag full of parts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
When aluminum is hardcoated, a portion of the aluminum is "consumed" by the anodizing, which then "grows" the hardcoat. Its an odd process, but basically yes, holes will get larger.

I don't remember exactly, but its something like: it takes .06mm to grow .04mm of hardcoat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top