Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:34 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting at 100 yards who own LMT 10.5, 14.5 and 16" uppers?  I am talking about the standard military style barrels not the MRP uppers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
At 50 yards, I can get touching holes fairly regularly with my 16" LMT upper.  If I calm down and follow good shooting practices.  This is with Q3131A, firing from a seated position (though no bench rest, just my arms) and A2 iron sights.  (Note my vision is bad, something like 20/40 with glasses.)

This is good for me, I'm very new to owning any rifle. :)

I tried 100 yards last week for the first time, firing at 8" plates with PMC South African 223.  I was able to hit the plate.  Eventually.  After realizing that my "Bubba" zero was about 6 inches high at 100 yards.  I've switched to an "Improved BSZ" and plan to rezero this weekend before I try the 100 yard plates again.

The rifle seems alot more accurate than I am, and I expect my groups to continue to improve if I use decent ammo and practice properly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting at 100 yards who own LMT 10.5, 14.5 and 16" uppers?  I am talking about the standard military style barrels not the MRP uppers.

I'm not a marksman, but with a 16" LMT at 100 yards and the IBZ method of sighting in.

Freehand I can put a group of 5 within a 4 inch area.  When I buy a Harris bipod, I'm sure it'll be much better
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate it when somebody asked for the accuracy of a rifle and people tell you how they can keep it on the paper while hopping on one foot blind folded. When somebody asked for the accuracy of a rifle, they mean the rifle, not you. Which means a solid rest on a sandbag so that you can see the true accuracy of the gun...rather than of the shooter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I can consistently hit the steel ram at my range, at the 300m mark with irons, and the man sized at 200m. DING DING DING.

16 incher here.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
So far it sounds like the rifle shoots 4MOA so it is about as accurate as an AK?  LOL  Has nobody used a scope and shot prone supported or off the bench?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hate it when somebody asked for the accuracy of a rifle and people tell you how they can keep it on the paper while hopping on one foot blind folded. When somebody asked for the accuracy of a rifle, they mean the rifle, not you. Which means a solid rest on a sandbag so that you can see the true accuracy of the gun...rather than of the shooter.

That was a constructive post.  Not everyone owns bench rests.  And personal perspective is the only thing you'll get on these questions, since user aptitude plays a large factor even while using a vise to sight in.  Odds are you not going to get someone that used any magnification optics since LMT makes M4 10.4, 14.5, & 16 inch uppers, these aren't SPR or Varmit rifles........

Take my previous post in perspective with this, I can't shoot for shit an AK out to 100 yards, but can more than easily with the LMT on Irons, and the AP makes even easier. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I would think someone has used an ACOG at 100m.  I saw a post when MSTN first marketed the 10.5 LMT upper and the first 3 shot group they fired was sub MOA.  My Bushmaster 14.5" is a 1 MOA shooter.  I am just wondering if the 10.5" MSTN upper is as accurate as they claim or any other barrel length for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well excuse me for not sandbagging my rifle prior to going to work.

My initial test fire of my 10.5, I was able to put consistant COM hits on a reduced B27 at 100 yards.  No keyholing or anything of the sort.  Test ammo was M193.  If I get a chance to see a 1 way range I will do my upmost to sandbag the dam thing.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's 3 different rounds at 100 yards from a LMT 14.5" w/ perm. VortexG6, 1/7 twist, Colt Sporter lower, stock trigger, RAS II and Aimpoint M2 equipped. Fired from benched position (POA was center of target, which the 4 MOA dot covered pretty well) Yes POI was adjusted afterward......

Rounds IIRC were:

5 rounds = Black Hills 77grn. SMK (blue-box)
5 rounds = Winchester Q3131A
5 rounds = Federal GM 69 or 77 grn (sorry can't recall which)

Might be some help,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Just at the range yesterday, off a rest using an Aimpoint I can group (5 shots) about 1.5 inches using xm193 with my LMT 16" upper. The aimpoint doesn't lend itself to better groups. With my compact acog on the gun the groups shrink to just under an inch with better ammo. More importantly I ran 10 30 round mags through her at a good pace (meaning 3 seconds between shots) and I was able to keep all the rounds on a 8" Shoot N See target at 50 yards offhand shooting, with no stoppages at all. That my friends is good enough for me!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I had this same question so I put a Leupold Ultra scope on my 10.5" LMT FF RAS upper (from WES) using a lower with a KAC 2 stage trigger and Black Hills match ammo, 1.20" MOA average with 3, 5 shot groups using sand bags. Now the groups opened up a bit when I put a can on it but still...

I expect someone with better breathing discipline could do better.

The disappointing thing is, I could not do much better with the LMT 14.5 FF RAS... Perhaps I should try some different ammo...

I have not tried the 16" yet
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had this same question so I put a Leupold Ultra scope on my 10.5" LMT FF RAS upper (from WES) using a lower with a KAC 2 stage trigger and Black Hills match ammo, 1.20" MOA average with 3, 5 shot groups using sand bags. Now the groups opened up a bit when I put a can on it but still...

I expect someone with better breathing discipline could do better.

The disappointing thing is, I could not do much better with the LMT 14.5 FF RAS... Perhaps I should try some different ammo...

I have not tried the 16" yet

nice, that's about what I'd expect from these uppers.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top